Short term or working visa before coming

Hoping to come out to Taiwan early next year to teach English. I have been told that I need to get a working visa before coming, which involves sorting out a job while still here in the UK. Ideally I’d like to go out to Taiwan first and find a job whilst there. What are my chances of going on a short term visa, finding a job and then extending this to a working visa? Phoned the Taiwan representative office in the UK but all they would say was, “we can’t guarentee this” (over and over again).

Apologies if this question has been posted previously. I’m a newbie to this site. I have searched - honest! Not sure if its my lack of knowledge of this stuff (e.g. what’s an “ARC”) or just my failing eyesight.

Any advice would be much appreciated, even a link to a relevant previous post.

Cheers in advance
YB

Who told you this? Did you get this information from the Taipei Economic and Cultural Office in London? If so, then you are best advised to make further inquiries with them for full particulars.

After reading several years of postings on this website, I get the general impression that overseas offices of Taiwan (ROC) rarely if ever issue working visas. I suspect that the reason for this is that they are unable to “screen” the relevant paperwork.

Two years ago I went into the TECO in Toronto and they said that one would not be able to change a Visitor Visa to a Work Visa in the not too distant future.

Has that gone into effect?

Well, I was told that I need my contract and work permit to show them and they’ll sort out a visa here in the UK. However, as far as the company that hired me has said, I can still come over on a visitors visa if they can’t sort out the work permit on time and have the visitors visa turned into a resident visa, as aparently there’s no such thing as a work visa unless you’re working for a foregin company and go to work in Taiwan for a short period of time if I understand everything correct.

Cheers for all the responses lads/lasses. Although I’m not sure if I’m not even more confused now :slight_smile:

It was the Taipei Representative Office in the UK (not sure if this is the same as you mentioned Hartzell but they are based in London - roc-taiwan.org.uk/about_us.html). As I say, ideally I’d like to come out there first and then find a job. So I’m not sure if the woman at the Representative Office was just ‘covering her back’ and only giving what would be a definite scenario, if you see what I mean.

How did people who are already working in Taiwan get round this issue? Especially any teachers, if that’s not too cheeky.

Thanks again for the assistance!

[quote=“Yorkie Barrd”]Cheers for all the responses lads/lasses. Although I’m not sure if I’m not even more confused now :slight_smile:

It was the Taipei Representative Office in the UK (not sure if this is the same as you mentioned Hartzell but they are based in London - roc-Taiwan.org.uk/about_us.html). As I say, ideally I’d like to come out there first and then find a job. So I’m not sure if the woman at the Representative Office was just ‘covering her back’ and only giving what would be a definite scenario, if you see what I mean.

How did people who are already working in Taiwan get round this issue? Especially any teachers, if that’s not too cheeky.

Thanks again for the assistance![/quote]
They come here first. Do some interviews then sign a contract. Most will actually start teaching whilst their ARCs are in processing. But if you get caught doing this you will be deported.

If you come make sure you bring enough money to get buy for awhile without having to work.

Thanks STV! Looks like I’ll take my chances then.