Short-term teaching in the south

Thanks for all the feedback, I’ve spoke to a few friends about this, and they suggested being a substitute teacher may be a viable option.

Was wondering if the threshold would be looser in this case, in fact, is there even an official governing body that overlooks substitutions?

But getting back to my original question.

Does anyone have any suggestions, or perhaps know any school in Pingtung/Kaohsiung/Tainan looking to hire a short term English teacher? Or at least just a number to call or a reliable agency/job hunt site to refer to?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I did a quick search on tealit.com, and found these (I wasn’t very thorough, so you might want to look again):

Green English, Jiayi County.
tealit.com/ad_categories.php?sec … anguage=en

American Eagle, a school chain. They say they have branches in Kaohsiung and Tainan. (I don’t know whether that chain currently has jobs available in those two towns.)

Jump Start, a school chain. They say they have a branch in Tainan. (Again, I don’t know if that means they have an opening there.)

I searched the international job board of Dave’s ESL Cafe, but I didn’t find anything in the cities you mentioned (but again, I wasn’t very thorough, so you might want to check again). There’s an agency in there, but a superstitious impulse prevents me from giving you its name.

Anyway, here’s the link to Dave’s international job board:
eslcafe.com/joblist/

There are other sites on the 'net.

I did a quick search on tealit.com, and found these (I wasn’t very thorough, so you might want to look again):

Green English, Jiayi County.

American Eagle, a school chain. They say they have branches in Kaohsiung and Tainan. (I don’t know whether that chain currently has jobs available in those two towns.)

Jump Start, a school chain. They say they have a branch in Tainan. (Again, I don’t know if that means they have an opening there.)

I searched the international job board of Dave’s ESL Cafe, but I didn’t find anything in the cities you mentioned (but again, I wasn’t very thorough, so you might want to check again). There’s an agency in there, but a superstitious impulse prevents me from giving you its name.

Anyway, here’s the link to Dave’s international job board:
eslcafe.com/joblist/

There are other sites on the 'net.[/quote]

Thanks, we’ve been digging on 104 and 1111 (job search sites), we’ve actually found quite a few postings there.

Thing is though, she won’t be coming until Feb/Mar. Guess we’ll just keep digging around about relevant information first.

tainanbulletin’s a good place to look for Tainan.

I know a girl looking for someone for two hours a week on Wednesday for a few weeks, female one, $1000 day.

American Eagle in Tainan has, despite being quite a good place to work, [strike]been having lots of turnover problems and[/strike] is always looking for staff (short and long term)

EDIT: It’s been brought to my attention that a) this is incorrect, and b) this comment came off as far more negative than I intended it to!

Turns out American Eagle’s been looking for teachers often as of late because they’ve been expanding each semester. This makes much more sense, because I could never figure out why they were always looking for people. Also, in my honest opinion, AE’s the only place I’ve ever subbed at that I can honestly recommend as a good place to work. I don’t teach full-time and tend to sub around whenever I’m short of cash so I can recommend people to a lot of schools, but this is the only one that doesn’t come with a warning label. Management’s good, Chinese teachers are good, Kids have a generally good level, environment’s good, lessons are clearly planned and material is provided, kids are not too spoilt. And it’s above a 7-11 :laughing:

[quote=“tsukinodeynatsu”]tainanbulletin’s a good place to look for Tainan.

I know a girl looking for someone for two hours a week on Wednesday for a few weeks, female one, $1000 day.

American Eagle in Tainan has, despite being quite a good place to work, been have lots of turnover problems and is always looking for staff (short and long term)[/quote]

Thanks!

Though we’re looking at Pingtung right now, I’ll keep that in mind.

[quote=“Wilch”]Thanks for all the feedback, I’ve spoke to a few friends about this, and they suggested being a substitute teacher may be a viable option.

Was wondering if the threshold would be looser in this case, in fact, is there even an official governing body that overlooks substitutions?

Does anyone have any suggestions, or perhaps know any school in Pingdong/Kaohsiung/Tainan looking to hire a short term English teacher? Or at least just a number to call or a reliable agency/job hunt site to refer to?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.[/quote]

You might be able to find a short term part time job (10 hrs or less/wk) but most schools with more hours available are looking for 1 yr contracts because it takes a month or two for a teacher to get comfortable with the students and curriculum.

[quote]
Was wondering if the threshold would be looser in this case, in fact, is there even an official governing body that overlooks substitutions?[/quote]

Yes, there is an official governing body that overlooks substitutes. It’s called the NIA and they will deport you if they catch you subbing w/o the proper work permit. It is however unlikely that you are caught (but possible).

You can check this yahoo group for last minute subbing wanted. groups.yahoo.com/group/KaohsiungLiving_com/

[quote=“Abacus”][quote=“Wilch”]Thanks for all the feedback, I’ve spoke to a few friends about this, and they suggested being a substitute teacher may be a viable option.

Does anyone have any suggestions, or perhaps know any school in Pingdong/Kaohsiung/Tainan looking to hire a short term English teacher? Or at least just a number to call or a reliable agency/job hunt site to refer to?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.[/quote]

You might be able to find a short term part time job (10 hrs or less/wk) but most schools with more hours available are looking for 1 yr contracts because it takes a month or two for a teacher to get comfortable with the students and curriculum.

[quote]
Was wondering if the threshold would be looser in this case, in fact, is there even an official governing body that overlooks substitutions?[/quote]

Yes, there is an official governing body that overlooks substitutes. It’s called the NIA and they will deport you if they catch you subbing w/o the proper work permit. It is however unlikely that you are caught (but possible).

You can check this yahoo group for last minute subbing wanted. groups.yahoo.com/group/KaohsiungLiving_com/[/quote]

Hmm ok. My guess is that substitute teaching isn’t exactly going to be a steady source of income.

Even if one finds a steady flow of substitute teaching jobs, they still need a work permit to stay longer than three months, no?

No, you would need to do a visa run. Substitute teaching is nothing more than a couple of hours here and there usually. There are some jobs though where they look for jobs for 2-4 weeks (15-20 hours/wk) because a teacher is on vacation.

You can stay in Taiwan indefinitely as long as you reapply for new visas when they’re about to expire? Please correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m assuming you can’t reapply locally and would have to fly out to HK (for example) every 2-3 months to do it there?

Would appreciate if someone can share their experience or what they know.

There’s a school in Kending that looks for someone to teach every year or so on a yearly contract. I think the more rural you go, the more it’s just yearly contracts.

You can stay in Taiwan indefinitely as long as you reapply for new visas when they’re about to expire? Please correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m assuming you can’t reapply locally and would have to fly out to HK (for example) every 2-3 months to do it there?

Would appreciate if someone can share their experience or what they know.[/quote]

No, you’re wrong. You would be entering on a 60 day visitor visa or visa exempt (probably 90 days). At the end of your 60 or 90 days you simply need to do a border run and re-enter (common in many countries). It’s a PITA in Taiwan however since it involves a flight. It is possible to get a visitor visa with extensions but usually you have to have a really good reason like studying Chinese and waiting to apply for an ARC. If your visa has extensions then you are right but otherwise you need to leave the country just like most countries that you travel to.

I’m confused. I thought you both said roughly the same thing.

Perhaps I’ve misunderstood what he meant by reapplying. There’s nothing that needs to be done other than exit and re-enter.

I’m glad you said that. I’m 59, and it’s like, I can remember stuff that happened in 1958, but I can’t locate the newspaper I was reading five minutes ago, so when I read your post I thought I might be experiencing the onset of senile dementia.