Should Aborigines be made to shop at Carrefour?

I agreed with everything you said up until that point. I don’t know how you qualify iron leg traps as “wrong”. I don’t know how its even possible to qualify this statement for everyone and every circumstance. I don’t believe it is possible, as there are too many counter arguments regarding modern agribusiness practices, and other circumstances where iron leg traps might be preferable.

I think the thing which has changed over time are people’s perceptions regarding pain in other animal species. Of course this isn’t necessarily wrong either, its simply an observation.

Is there a more efficient method of trapping animals which doesn’t involve this cruelty aspect which is providing this basis of debate? Perhaps if there were then both sides of the debate might be a little happier.

I agreed with everything you said up until that point. I don’t know how you qualify iron leg traps as “wrong”. I don’t know how its even possible to qualify this statement for everyone and every circumstance. [/quote]

We’re totally allowed to disagree :slight_smile:

In terms of qualifying this statement “for everyone and every circumstance”, I think that pretty much can be said for about every action that exists (the only thing I have ever heard that could be said about was torturing infants…can’t think of a situation, however insanely desperate, that could be justified).

If a person was faced with a life or death situation where:
not using traps=death
using traps =survival

Yes, it could of course be justified…but that is not the situation.

[quote=“sulavaca”]
I don’t believe it is possible, as there are too many counter arguments regarding modern agribusiness practices, and other circumstances where iron leg traps might be preferable.[/quote]

2 wrongs don’t make a right.

[quote=“sulavaca”]
Is there a more efficient method of trapping animals which doesn’t involve this cruelty aspect which is providing this basis of debate? Perhaps if there were then both sides of the debate might be a little happier.[/quote]

In terms of other efficient trapping methods, we would need to hear from someone who knows more about hunting and trapping than myself.

Indeed. If there’s one thing people hate, it’s being made to think :wink: There are probably a wide variety of habits even among Taiwan’s tribes, but some of them would be classed as “unsustainable” in the face of population pressure and would have to change as a matter of survival. I think traps fall into that category because they cause way too much collateral damage.

Can you give an example where they might be the ‘right’ solution?

The original debate flipflopped between intentionally trapping animals (in a forest-lifestyle context) and using them to protect farmed animals. In the first case, I concede they’re marginally acceptable if they are checked regularly (or have some kind of alert system), if all or most prey is used for food, and if there is no chance of them trapping animals that belong to other people. Even so, I wouldn’t consider them more ‘efficient’ than keeping and shooting semi-wild species, as deer are ‘farmed’ in some countries. They’re too random; you never know what you’re going to get, if anything.

In the latter case, there are dozens of different solutions which work better, but I’m going to post in the original thread because they’re not relevant to the Carrefour’ topic.

The word ‘organic’ is used as a catch-all for any non-industrial farming. There are many, many different methods bundled under that heading, which invalidates most of those studies. As omni mentioned, GHG emissions are not really the issue. A human would fart and belch at roughly the same rate regardless of whether he was locked up in prison or living in a cave in the hills. Cows more-or-less likewise. The differences quoted are de minimis (12%? Whatever) and probably due to feed quality, which in turn affects meat quality. Besides, the obvious way to affect emissions from cows is for us all to consume less meat/dairy. I believe this will self-correct as energy becomes intolerably expensive and factory-farmers go bankrupt.

The sponsors of agribusiness like to focus on irrelevancies to detract from the real issues: their quality is crap, their profits are close to or below zero, their supporting industries are complex and fragile, and their pollution output is incredibly high. Take the purported runoff pollution from organic farms: the reason industrial ones have no apparent runoff issues is that they offload all their manure to disposal operations. It disappears “off the books”. A properly-run organic operation will compost the manure, apply it to fields (most likely for feedstock) and achieve almost zero runoff.

Because it’s incredibly inefficient. Horribly, disgracefully inefficient and wasteful. Besides, as we start to run out of cheap energy, it’s going to be hard to argue that we must have our monkey spunk supplies to make stuff grow, cos it just isn’t going to be there. Rock phosphorus likewise will not exist by mid-century. As for insecticides and whatnot, they cause more problems than they solve. I don’t use chemicals because I’m lazy. I know there are ways to get nature to do the job for me. It takes tweaking, but ultimately it’s easier and cheaper.

Has it? This is often asserted as axiomatic, without any evidence whatsoever - most of Africa lurches from one food crisis to the next because they have failed to implement agricultural systems suitable for the climate. Agriculture on poor soils in extreme climates depends on a mulch layer and symbiotic organisms; any other system results in permanent land degradation, sometimes desertification. Apart from anything else, the poorer countries have no transport systems and ineffective markets, and therefore no means to import and distribute chemicals. The only plausible approach for most of Africa is an organic one.

You’re getting hysterical here and your facts are just plain wrong. I know you think it bolsters your argument in the short term to make things up, but when they are so easily proved wrong it ends up being quite counter-productive coz then your credibility is gone. After that, it’s hard to believe anything you say.
A quick search of milk prices from Australian supermarkets (as compiled by the respected consumer watchdog journal, Choice magazine) reveals the following:
The cheapest, non-organic carton of milk (Harvey Fresh Milk - 1l): $1.95
The cheapest organic carton of milk (Just Organic - Aldi-1l): $1.98
Sure, it’s more expensive, but hardly double.
source: choice.com.au/reviews-and-te … cream.aspx
Let me know if you want me to research the fruit juice prices for you as well and see if i can find a bottle of organic juice for under $10 (am assuming you mean US$). Though i am pretty sure you won’t be taking me up on that offer.
The thing is, whether this is galling to you or not, more and more mainstream people are wanting to eat organic food. I just got back from Australia (where no one seemed to be wearing berets) and noticed that organic brands are springing up everywhere in the supermarket. And with greater production, comes lower costs. The prices are already pretty competitive.

Culture should have nothing to do with whether people should be allowed to do or not do an activity. There should be one set of laws for everyone. No one should be given special privilege to hunt anything. I’m sure Chinese people could claim it’s part of their culture to hunt plenty of endangered species, but I doubt many people here would be advocating the hunting of tigers, for instance, just so some dude can be more virile.

[quote=“dulan drift”][quote=“GuyInTaiwan”]As for leading a traditional lifestyle, I couldn’t care how people live their lives so long as two conditions are met:

1. I don’t have to fund it through welfare, affirmative action or anything else.[/quote]

Do you also agree that the aborigines shouldn’t have to give you (meaning the greater non-aboriginal society) anything?[/quote]

In what sense do you mean, a “hard” or “soft” sense of not contributing? If they use general services, then they should have to pay tax like everyone else. I’d actually be happy if they didn’t have to pay tax and a complete user pays system were present, but I’d want this to be across the board for all members of society. However, given that the government does exist and it does provide them with services such as health and education, they should have to contribute to that system.

In the case of aboriginals it does, and governments around the world recognize this. When Alaskan natives signed their landmark Native Settlement Act, for example, subsistence rights were not included but subsequent supreme court battles have won those rights as the courts recognize that subsistence is at the heart of native cultures.

That last statement need a bit of unpacking. Subsistence is not just about hunting and gathering. It is about stories, songs, ritual, religion, passing on of tradition, lore, techniques, technology, and so on. Without subsistence you have a bunch of deracinated people with all the troubles that entails. Yes, they can still tell the old stories,and sing the old songs, but they make no sense now and have no relevance. Hence they die and the culture goes with it.

Aboriginals have special rights in most advanced societies around the world. Some of these rights are secured by treaty, some simple by a general acceptance. Get used to it. These rights aren’t going away.

MM: Maybe they’re not, but I still think there should be one law for everyone. If a culture is incompatible with the modern world and all that is considered civilised, then too bad. If those people want the benefits of modern civilisation, then they should also accept its rules.

What’s your position on the hunting of whales by the Japanese or Norwegians? How about the hunting of endangred species for Chinese medicine? Is all of that okay because it’s part of their culture? What about broader (non-food/hunting) issues such as female circumcision or the stoning of adulterers?

They do. Because part of those rules of a civilized country is that aboriginals have special rights.

And don’t forget, a lot of those rights are secured by treaties. Would you have a civilized country reject its own treaties?

Mucha Man: Of course there comes a time when treaties get revised. There must be thousands of treaties (or laws generally) on the books around the world that are out-moded. Why single out treaties or laws regarding Aborigines to be carved in stone for all time?

The reason Aborigines have special rights is because of political correctness, nothing else. If anyone else wanted to engage in such activities, there’d be a massive shit storm. Look at the shit storms that have occurred in the past because a bunch of guys in England wanted to hunt foxes as part of their so-called culture. The difference is that a silly old white guy in a funny costume is fair game, while a silly old coloured guy in a funny costume has an “authentic” culture. Seriously, fuck culture. In most cases, it holds the world back.

[quote=“dulan drift”].
A quick search of milk prices from Australian supermarkets (as compiled by the respected consumer watchdog journal, Choice magazine) reveals the following:
The cheapest, non-organic carton of milk (Harvey Fresh Milk - 1l): $1.95
The cheapest organic carton of milk (Just Organic - Aldi-1l): $1.98
Sure, it’s more expensive, but hardly double. [/quote]

That’s Australia. In some countries, including Canada, which still adheres to supply management in the dairy industry, it is almost double. At my local supermarket it is about 2.95 to 3.95 for a 4L bottle of milk. If it is organic it is about 5.95 to 6.95. That is nearly double.

[quote]
And organic milk costs a whole lot more. 4L of Island farms is about $4.35 while their organic is twice as much. Avalon / Valley Pride organic is three times as much, almost, at about $12 for 4L. [/quote]
forums.egullet.org/index.php?/to … er-island/

Again, a lot of the premium California-based organic apple juice in supermarkets in North America is over $10. This is the most common brand in Western US/Canada.
organicconnectionscafe.com/p … ice-86.php

I think organic food is for a very small segment of privileged people and the environmental catastrophes that would result if it was adopted by a large segment of the population would be considerable. I also think it prevents consumers from buying non-organic food from poorer countries and is protectionism in disguise, thus hurting developing countries. It is also a lot less energy efficient according to the Economist :laughing:

Botany Bay garb instead? :laughing:

I’m worried about the environmental implications of this! Again from the Economist:

[quote=“The Economist”]
Organic food, which is grown without man-made pesticides and fertilisers, is generally assumed to be more environmentally friendly than conventional intensive farming, which is heavily reliant on chemical inputs. But it all depends what you mean by “environmentally friendly”. Farming is inherently bad for the environment: since humans took it up around 11,000 years ago, the result has been deforestation on a massive scale. But following the “green revolution” of the 1960s greater use of chemical fertiliser has tripled grain yields with very little increase in the area of land under cultivation. Organic methods, which rely on crop rotation, manure and compost in place of fertiliser, are far less intensive. So producing the world’s current agricultural output organically would require several times as much land as is currently cultivated. There wouldn’t be much room left for the rainforest. [/quote]

There’s not much said on this thread that I disagree with. Most of the comments are reasonably well-informed. But I’d like to say something about herbicides and pesticides…

I live on a farm in an aboriginal village. Without herbicide, it would be difficult to live here, and pretty much everyone uses it. Trying to control the weeds with mechanical cutting is hard, and even when that is the preferred method, everyone (including me) uses a “weed-wacker,” which is gasoline-powered. Even worse, all models I’ve seen in Taiwan are 2-stroke engines, so quite polluting. I actually don’t like to use it because of all the smoke I have to breathe, but I haven’t seen a 4-stroke model for sale.

Taiwanese weed wackers are pretty powerful - the ones I’ve seen in the USA are totally wimpy by comparison. With a blade attachment, they’ll cut through a small tree. More often than not, I’ll use nylon cord instead of a blade - makes it possible to cut grass right down to its roots even on rocky terrain, or next to water pipes without breaking them. I can think of no non-powered device to do this task.

As for herbicide - I don’t think it’s all that harmful to the environment, as it is supposed to break down after use. Potentially dangerous stuff though if you’re not careful with it - you don’t want it on your skin, or breathing it while spraying. We have a very nasty weed around here called Spanish needle 咸豐草 (xiánfēng cǎo) - difficult to control without spraying. You’ve probably seen this weed - has little black stickers that stick to your clothing. It’s the bane of fruit farmers, as it will take over an orchard.

I don’t use any agricultural pesticides - they are much stronger than the pesticides you might use indoors to kill ants and cockroaches. But I know that it’s pretty damn difficult to grow most fruit if you don’t use some pesticide. The really sweet fruits (like Buddha fruit) will get totally eaten by bugs if you don’t spray.

I’m not opposed to the organic lifestyle, but just venting on the fact that it’s not easy to be 100% organic, especially in the subtropics or tropics.

Because there are no compelling arguments for stripping people of those rights as long as the practices are sustainable. And also because taking those rights away would likely cause more social havoc than keeping them in place. You really like to advocate solutions that are worse than the status quo, don’t you? :laughing:

As for the fox hunt, that is a bad analogy. Other hunting and fishing rights within England remain the same. The storm is over a useless archaic “sport” that is no different from bear baiting or dog fighting.

Hunting for deer or fish for dinner is in no way analogous to fox hunting.

Dog’s Breakfast: Then people are growing the wrong things in the wrong way. One major objection I have with my landlord is that he insists on having the wrong plants in the garden. He wants a lawn (even though he doesn’t live here), yet will only pay for the lawn to be cut once every couple of months, which is absurd given that his property is actually below the Tropic of Cancer. He won’t generally take care of the lawn anyway. We end up having to pay to have the lawn cut, which really pisses me off because if it were up to me, we wouldn’t have a lawn, or I’d keep various animals to keep the grass down (which he won’t allow). Ideally, I’d put almost the entire property under deep mulch and grow a variety of trees (both food and other) better suited to this climate. It would be a lot less work for everyone involved. Ultimately, I’m looking to move out of that property in the near future because this is a major sticking point. What is particularly absurd is that the guy supposedly has a degree in horticulture, though here that seems to mean a degree in growing the wrong things in the wrong places and quantities and then spraying the shit out of everything.

As to fruit trees and spraying them, again, if people didn’t plant monocultures then this would be far less of a problem. It’s quite possible to grow a variety of different things within a garden and not have massive infestations of pests or diseases. Monoculture causes at least two problems. The first is that it creates what is essentially an enormous buffet for particular pests or diseases, with little to no distance from one food source to the next, so of course their populations explode. The second is that it removes other species that may keep such pests or diseases in check. These things don’t build up in nature precisely because in nature you never see monoculture. The result is that to make everything “work” massive amounts of time, energy and resources must be applied because it’s all cure and no prevention.

In both these cases (lawns and fruit), it’s a case of people applying an unnecessary solution to an unnecessary problem.

Mucha Man: You really like to conveniently make excuses for one culture’s cruelty compared to another’s, don’t you? I’m sure fox hunting can be practised sustainably, as can bear baiting, docking the tails of dogs, etc. How’s this “status quo” of yours working out? Aboriginal cultures around the world seem to have far lower life expectancies and educational achievements. Doesn’t seem like they’re doing too well to me. Let’s not paint the pre-modern era as some idyllic paradise. It was, and is, savage and barbaric. You consider fox hunting archaic (so do I, actually). It’s somebody’s culture. If it’s all well and good for certain groups of people to come into the modern world, why not for everyone else?

I’d still like to hear what you think about whale hunting, or people eating dogs, horses, monkeys, etc.

People don’t need to fish or hunt for dinner. That’s an absurd claim. There are tons of other means of obtaining food. If people can’t exist in a particular place without engaging in certain practices, then maybe they shouldn’t be in that place, and the rest of society shouldn’t subsidise or condone their hobby or lifestyle choice. Of course, I notice that many “traditional” people have also adopted the convenience of modern weapons and modes of transport, not to mention electricity in their houses and so on. Having a bet each way, hey?

Guy, if you read my original post you will see that I am far from arguing that tradition aboriginal culture was idyllic, nor that their current mix of modern and trad is not fraught with problems, contradictions, resentments, etc.

I simply don’t believe, as you do, that it’s useful to argue about non-reality based solutions. You don’t like aboriginals having special rights. Too bad. They do and those rights are unlikely to be taken away in the near future.

I know a lot of people get pissed off about these things, but what’s your solution? And by solution I mean policy that hasn’t been tried yet and found wanting.

Oh, and in many places, people do need to hunt and fish for a living. Or do you think Inuit should all shop at the local supermarkets where a gallon of milk costs US$12? Or maybe they should just leave and go somewhere else to live?

guy, here’s why I think aboriginals in Taiwan should be allowed to hunt.

The existing laws are vague and often contradictory and enforcement is sporadic leading to the least ideal of situations. Aboriginals, an already aggrieved people, feel more oppressed and harassed and insulted by present laws. Hunting then is unregulated and does a fair bit of damage in areas close to villages and fosters a sense of us against them.

Legalizing hunting would do a number of things assuming that aboriginals were involved in the process of legislation. It would grant aboriginals a new-found sense of place in this society, a sense of pride in their culture, generate a respect for the rule of law, force genuine debate on the issue of sustainability, and make villages look hard at just how destructive current unregulated practices have been.

Legalizing hunting in other words would foster debate, rational policy discussions, educational reforms, pride, and a myriad of other positive effects.

All the laws do now is create incentives for cheating and rule breaking.

[quote]That’s Australia. In some countries, including Canada, which still adheres to supply management in the dairy industry, it is almost double. At my local supermarket it is about 2.95 to 3.95 for a 4L bottle of milk. If it is organic it is about 5.95 to 6.95. That is nearly double.
Again, a lot of the premium California-based organic apple juice in supermarkets in North America is over $10. [/quote]
But you just explained why, in that very sentence: retailers charge that much because they can, not because it’s inherently more expensive to produce. The retail price of food is almost completely disconnected from the farm gate price because the supply chain is so long and convoluted.

As for the economist quote: I like that magazine, but they’re desk jockeys, not farmers. Farming isn’t like, say, aluminium smelting, which is done the same way all over the world and is easily costed. It’s an unbelievably complex operation that defies conventional economic analysis; there are simply too many different ways of doing things. One farm can be so different to another, even if nominally “organic” or “industrial”, as to defeat any facile comparison. This, for example, is utter bollocks:

In 1920, farmers were averaging 3 tonnes of wheat per crop (“Three Acres and Liberty”, Bolton Hall), fully organic. It’s now about 4 or 5 tonnes/ha per crop. Seriously, who cares about a 50% increase (not 300%), given the additional cost of fertilizers and pesticides, land degradation, and runoff pollution? The difference is even more marked in rice farming: “green revolution” chemical-fed rice delivers 5-6tonnes/ha, while best-practice organic methods deliver 7-8tonnes/ha (SRI and the no-till method both have outputs in that range). Also, because the land is cared for, organic methods often permit more crops-per-year, alley cropping, or similar methods of enhancing total yield. Journalists often regurgitate corporate propaganda because it’s repeated so often that it’s become “fact”.

GiT said everything else I was going to say regarding monoculture and the “necessity” of chemical controls, so I won’t bother repeating it :slight_smile:

MM: I really don’t understand your argument. You seem to be saying that Aboriginal people are somehow different from us in fundamental ways, in that their culture is inextricably bound up with hunting and that taking it away from them will destroy their culture. This simply makes no sense at all. We haven’t seen any chinless aristocracy in England take to their beds with a bottle of moonshine until they curl up and die, just because they’re no longer allowed to hunt foxes for sport. And I believe it is still legal to kill foxes humanely (if necessary). You’re just not allowed to hunt with dogs. I don’t think anybody here is suggesting that hunting, per se, should be illegal; merely that hunters should not use destructive or antisocial methods.

There’s something far more complex going on in the clash between aboriginal and “modern” cultures, and I don’t pretend to know what that is. I believe Confuzius is correct in saying there needs to be far more dialogue to find out what’s going on and what we (I mean, everyone involved) can do to fix it. I also can’t help wondering whether it’s because many aboriginal peoples don’t actually have a culture. They are too few, too dispersed, and too much at the mercy of natural forces to have ever bothered with such a thing. What we refer to as traditions are really just practical rules-of-thumb for ensuring survival, i.e., technology. These days, they have a lot more options. Those rules-of-thumb no longer apply. I’m sure, as someone else mentioned, they could teach us a lot. But it’s up to them to develop a counterpoint to the modern world - which does have many faults - that’s worth teaching.

Hunting: yes, with restrictions
Trapping: NO!

It’s easy, really!

Mucha Man: My solution is to apply one law to everybody. For those who cannot, and will not adapt, in other words, those who choose to live in the past, then too bad. They should be presented with a clear choice between the past and the present, but they should not be granted any sort of pass simply because they refuse to embrace the present. You know that I am against granting incentives or exuses for failure. I am also against the cult of self-esteem. Laws in society don’t exist to build the self-esteem for certain members or groups. Society is not a giant creche where everyone gets to feel good about themselves even if they can’t tie their shoelaces. The Jews have been persecuted routinely for 2,000 years and yet they have punched far, far above their collective body weight in virtually every field of human endeavour. Enough excuses for everyone else.

The current laws regarding hunting don’t create incentives for cheating and rule breaking. The real, and greater, issue is one of the poor, or non, enforcement of laws generally in this society. If you want to argue for hunting licences within sustainable quotas, then fair enough, but such hunting licences should be open to any and all members of society. If there is more demand than supply, then they should be allocated by a lottery. Of course, if people didn’t use up the quota afforded to them, it could/should be made available to others randomly again.

As for people needing to hunt in remote places, if hunting licences can’t be extended across society, then people in remote places should have to shop at the local shop. If that means it’s prohibitively expensive to live there and they need to leave, then so be it. We shouldn’t be subsidising a lifestyle choice. However, while I’m on that topic, I’d like to see agricultural subsidies cut also, as well as externalities really factored in. Then we might actually see how truly affordable many of our food consumptive habits are, even in more densely populated areas.

So in other words, your solution is a dogmatic ideological approach that ignores laws, history, established policy, and reality. Sorry, but as I wrote, aboriginals have a special status in Taiwan. Any solution has to accept that initial premise since there is no getting around it.