Should China Airlines change its name?

There’s an Air China already and China Airlines gets mistaken for being a PRC airline…

Not for political reasons or anything, but purely for branding’s sake…and especially now that it’s more or less salvaged its reputation…

What do you think?

1 Like

I think old tea is dripping out of your spout. This topic has been discussed many of times on Forumosa. Remember – the search function is your friend.

1 Like

oops.

With the sort of safety record China Airlines has they should be hoping they get mistaken for a mainland airline…

1 Like

So it looks like they WILL change the name, although most likely NOT to Taiwan Airlines, as the news adds "The proposal emphasizes that the ministry should find ways to rebrand that do not involve re-negotiating or modifying the carrier’s international aviation freedoms – such as strengthening the image of Taiwan on the plane livery. ": https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/taiwan-china-airlines-name-change/index.html (At least, I am reading the ‘not’ as negating the “such as strengthening the image of Taiwan on the plane livery”; the writing could have been clearer.)

3 Likes

So . . . Air Chinese Taipei?

The Separate Customs Airline of Taiwan, Penghu, Kinmen and Matsu?

Guy

3 Likes

Formosa airlines?

2 Likes

I like this.

Formosan Airways . . . Taiwan will Touch Your Heart!

Guy

2 Likes

Expect really serious backlash.

https://www.taiwangazette.org/news/2020/6/27/how-arcane-tail-numbers-tie-the-fates-of-taiwan-and-chinas-air-carriers?format=amp&__twitter_impression=true

1 Like

I wonder if they will change their Chinese name or just the English name. It doesn’t have to match like Eva Airlines.

2 Likes

Of course change Chinese name

1 Like

Especially given how chill Beijing has been acting lately about, well, everything.

But who knows? Maybe they are too busy lighting fires and burning documents in front of their soon-to-be closed Houston Consulate. : P

Guy

2 Likes

This administration in the US would probably back the change in today’s political climate. They’ve gone all in against China just short of military actions. Maybe the UK, India, and Australia would support the changes as well.

3 Likes

I think the bigger concern would be being blocked from using PRC airspace, making travel to Europe and points west (never mind to destinations in the PRC itself) difficult or impossible.

Guy

1 Like

And Japan, then possibly New Zealand next

2 Likes

Would this not piss off the EU enough to do something?

1 Like

The Chinese name is tricky

If it’s 福爾摩沙航空

Would become 福航

Which sounds like Fujian airlines and that Taiwan is part of Fujian. Which the CCP think anyway

1 Like

Call it Taroko Airlines

3 Likes

So 太航

1 Like

Was thinking Chinese name could be 寶島航空 and then 寶航 . But I’m not a native speaker so no idea how that sounds

1 Like