Should foreign-born people be allowed to be president?

?? Lyndon Johnson didn’t get us into Vietnam, it was John F. Kennedy, from Massachusetts, who did that.[/quote]

Interesting that you quibble about whether it was Johnson or Kennedy and didn’t try to attack the underlying premise that Bush led us into a quagmire. Thanks!

Notably, Kennedy sent troops to Vietnam as advisors – and it was great for one’s military career in those days to be sent. We had no units in direct combat with the NVA or the VC until after Kennedy’s death, which you may recall was a big point made in the Hal Moore book (and later movie) about the first unit-sized encounters.

It also might be a bit unfair to call a war a “quagmire” when we just had a few guys serving as advisors to the South Vietnamese – its quagmireliness was not fully realized until Johnson got his big, puppy-ear-grabbing paws on the war. That might also be a good Republican rationale for saying our relatively miniscule troop involvement in Afghanistan is a “mess” and not yet a true “quagmire.” (Bet Rummy would like to use that argument someday! It’s OK, he can have it…)

[quote=“Mr He”]I think that the reason to that they stated in the constitution that no foreign born people could be elected president was that they were nervous that some Britich guy should be elected in… After all, as a recently independent colony, they had good reasons to be vary of them Brits back then.

That need has passed some time ago.

Therefore, currently, it would make sense for them to amend the constitution giving all citizens the same right to be elected to the highest office. After all, the US electorate is hardly dumb, and should be able to weed out a candidate with divided loyalties.[/quote]
Actually I think the U.S. electorate is extremely dumb (if you don’t believe me visit fred smith and his pals on some of the other threads - these guys are not typical americans, they are better educated than the ‘average’ american :unamused: ).

i’d leave that law alone …