Should government leave religions alone?

Sorry but religious liberty does not give you the right to pollute the air, likewise it doesn’t give you the right to molest choirboys or mutilate female genitalia. Common sense dictates that religious practices do not deserve protection of the law when the practice itself is anti-social.

4 Likes

Sex abuse is not allowed in Christian faith. Period. It’s not being protected under religious liberty. Are there child molesters in atheists/environmentalists/school teachers/ neighbors/complete strangers? Do I bash everyone of them every time I get the chance to? Or it’s the individual’s problem?

FGM is allowed and encouraged in Islam. If u feel so bad about it, maybe u can go to Islam countries and liberate those poor girls.

Ghost money, burning everything, firecrackers everywhere have all been part of Taiwan’s custom and spirituality. Be careful when u let govt dictate what culture is and forcing religion of environmentalism down everyone’s throat. The problem and solution lie in the hearts of the ppl; a government is going to babysit and solve everything for u? Don’t count on it.

2 Likes

We’re trying to save the planet here, it’s not a religion. It’s abject nonsense to say the solution lies in the hearts of the people. People are idiots. People will dynamite fish if you let them. People will eat tiger penis if you let them.

What’s our stance on sky lanterns? Huge environmental hazard but also a big moneymaker disguised as a cultural tradition.

2 Likes

Burning open fires on pavements is still very common in Taipei city even around Nanjing East Road on the assigned lunar days and also ghost month. In the last year I’ve seen multiple vendors burning money right beside playgrounds and parks IN Taipei City. They are extremely polluting and a hazard to kids in particular.
They are breaking about a dozen laws .

What difference does it make what the bible says about child abuse ? Most people refrain from abusing kids because they find it abhorrent, not because god says its wrong.

I can live with them buring offerinsg in parks and whatever. It is when they do it right next to 50 parked scooters that I start getting the hibbie jibbies.

1 Like

Yep I didn’t mention that! Saw it done at xindian carrefour, right at the main entrance with hundreds of scooters parked , by a staff member a few months ago. When I said what are you doing she looked at me as if I was the crazy one. :slight_smile:

There is, however, a good case to be made that the Roman Catholic Church’s centuries-old exemption from legal and social accountability has allowed sustained and systematic abuse to go unchecked and unpunished, up until the present day.

Completely false. FGM is allowed and encouraged in SOME Islamic CULTURES. There’s nothing in Islamic scripture or doctrine that condones such brutality.
Saying “FGM is allowed and encouraged in Islam” is like saying that “sexual predation by clergy is allowed and encouraged in Catholicism”.

3 Likes

dude, I think you are hanging out with the wrong people.

I never met a person who believes that stuff, but nor have I ever met a child rapist. So, I dont think there is any strong correlation between non-believers and child molestors.

bomb

1 Like

be careful they come snatch away your gallbladder first

Shafi’i Islam considers FGM to be obligatory.
Shafi’i Islam predominant countries:
Egypt, S. Arabia, Kurdistan,Somalia, Malaysia, Indonesia.
from the Hadith, also, Muhammad asked a woman practicing FGM profession. She said, “unless it is forbidden, and you order me to stop doing it.” Muhammed replied, “Yes, it is allowed. Come closer so I can teach you: if you cut, do not overdo it, because it brings more radiance to the face, and it is more pleasant for the husband.”
and from Reliance of the Traveller, circumcision is obligatory, men by cutting off the piece of skin on the glans of the penis of the male, female by cutting out the clitoris.

You’re talking about Chinese here, right? Just to make sure…

Stop giving them tax-free status unless the majority of funds help people.

There is general agreement throughout the different sects of Islam that some Hadiths are weaker than others in their authenticity, with only the “strong” Hadiths being obligatory. If only one sect of all the widely different sects of Islam consider the Hadiths about FGM to be “strong”, then that basically speaks for itself.

1 Like

I thought Homer was American. (I know, it’s not dynamite, but close enough.)

1 Like

It’s just over a year since we had a thread about that.

At least this time it’s in R&S instead of IP.

1 Like

Here’s a better idea: get rid of the income tax.

1 Like

Chinese would be the intersection of the two groups mentioned: individuals who go bomb fishing and that eat tiger dicks.

EDIT: Just to make sure that everybody gets it, I’ve come with this chart that explains what I mean with intersection:

is this individual’s problem?

https://edition-m.cnn.com/2018/08/14/us/pennsylvania-catholic-church-grand-jury/index.html?r=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com.tw%2F

If more than 300 school teachers in a region have abused children, and schools have attempted systematic cover-up, is it individual’s problem?

They were trying to compete with Rotherham, but they need plenty of catch up to do!