Should government leave religions alone?

The second choice is something they deliberately choose to do and do. The first option could be something that happened, that they couldn’t refrain, hence their sin could be seen (by themselves) as a weakness instead of a decision of being a sinner. It also may just happened to some of them: they have sexual instincts that they can’t refrain and it just… happened.

Still some priests have been caught going to whores… or looking for sex on internet and similar stuff. It’s also risky.

Yes, paedophilia. Although it is possible to refrain from it, but most paedophiles don’t want to. In fact, they actively seek it.

Screening out as many as possible of the men like that before they enter the seminary would be the ideal solution. Having an external agency keep a close eye on the clergy is next best. Not dissimilar to government agencies keeping an eye on teachers with common sense rules such as not allowing a teacher to be alone with a pupil.

It’s crystal clear that the Catholic Church has not done a good job of protecting children. As for Islam…

If a purge is necessary, then so be it.
I want those evil priests and authorities to be booted out too. But how wide? How high? Specifically who? I wish I have all the answers.

My local 70y/o father almost lost his priesthood because he took in stray cats and questioned other priests being corrupt in their meetings; he’s been sent back to US and not allowed to come back to Taiwan anymore(except for vacation).

Unjust happens within institutions. How to reform it? A religious lay man’s general response: pray.

The communist way is tempting, try don’t go down that road.

What meaning does the pray have for victims.

Ultimately the Church has to ask is it fixable without dismantling the priesthood, bringing in female priests, cancelling celibacy etc. The Tablet is an example of a lay publication that is really doing good work to expose every last dirty secret. And that’s the key thing…no sweeping under the carpet. Here’s a report from just five hours ago, Archbishop Wilson in Melbourne receiving 6 months home detention for covering up of sex abuse. Archbishop Wilson refused to offer one word of apology to victims who waited for him outside the courthouse. Victims whose lives are an ongoing misery from the abuse they suffered. Archbishop Wilson intends to appeal the judgment.

nope.
I recommend you read on the early church fathers.

and I’m not refuting any of the crimes and sex scandals.
By accusing every priest or just burning the church down is a very blissful way of looking at the problem.

Which part of that are you nope-ing??

:laughing:
really?
you are being too nice.
you don’t solve the problem by lowering the standard.

How The Ancient Catholic Church Dealt With Priest Sex Offenders

sorry for the misquoting.
if you’re interested, you may go read on the early church father, the origins of Peter as Pope, the great schism, and the protestant reformation.
To me, not every church, sect, denomination teaches the teachings of Christ.

That’s defensive to the point of melodrama.

OK, short of burning down the Vatican you surely agree that the Catholic Church needs to get its house in order and is failing to do so. Therefore, in order to protect children some other organisation has to do the job for them. Or is the church more important?

for you, changing the current system of Christian church means burning it down?

That’d do it.

1 Like

I’m perfectly familiar with the history of the Christian church, thanks very much.
You continue to miss @the_bear’s point.

Christianity, by friggin definition, is a system of belief based on the teachings of Christ.
That’s why they call it that, for crying out loud.

Your contention that

not every church, sect, denomination teaches the teachings of Christ

is the exact point we’re making here.
That’s why they call it Christianity, duh.:roll_eyes:

Not Peterism or Paulianity.

Hang on, we missed this one. A seafood religion? The Church of the Holy Rolling Octopus?

@mad_masala, can we have the tentacle rape meme please?

Shouldn’t you be asking @yyy?

Yes but he’s a puritan, he doesn’t like to get his tentacles dirty.

How about this instead?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5nLtfsW224

1 Like

It’s not the religion, it’s the organization:

Should government call the kettle black?

1 Like

The problem with the teachings of Christ is they’re open to interpretation, and not necessarily in good faith.

Everybody wants to put words in Jesus’ mouth and recruit him to some cause or other. It’s the intersection of name dropping and blasphemy.

Thou shalt not drop the Lord’s name casually.

Can you tell me his name? I wonder if I might know him.

Her father, Mr Mabel.