Should he get a visitor visa or just a JFRV?!

My husband is about to apply for a visa to come over here. I know he definitely has to get a JFRV…EVENTUALLY… BUT the thing is… I really need a piece of advice from all of you(you are way more experienced than we are :slight_smile: ) because I don’t know it’d be better if he simply gets a JFRV from TECO in Seattle and fly here OR… get a visitor visa then do the rest to get a JFRV in taipei(i’ve heard it’d be more complicated and take longer time to have "required documents"done in the states)?! He does have our marriage certificate(notarized in S.F.) and an official copy of my household registration. So, what should we do? Should he just get a visitor visa and come here with his criminal check then work on his JFRV within 60 days after landing OR he should just get his JFRV there in Seattle?

thankee… :help:

P.S. Can someone even enter with a visitor visa while he/she is married and intends to get a JFRV?!

One cannot change any type of visa in Taiwan into a JFRV - it must be applied for outside Taiwan (strange as that may be).

Actually, many people have applied for them here in Taiwan, as I did just this past October. I changed my work visa into a JFRV. A small part of the process was done by correspondence with agencies in my home country (the police check, then getting that certified by Taiwan’s pseudo-embassy there), but the remainder was done here in Taibei, including the actual submission of the application for the JFRV (to MOFA). Whether a visitor visa can also be so converted, I know not.

Have a read of this thread for more info. To the OP, I’d suggest your husband get his criminal record results certified at the TECO office nearest you (not just notarized elsewhere) before coming to Taiwan.

I don’t see why not. No visitor should be more eligible than one married to a local, and one’s intention regarding application for a JFRV shouldn’t be relevant. :idunno:

[quote=“Dragonbones”]Actually, many people have applied for them here in Taiwan, as I did just this past October. I changed my work visa into a JFRV. A small part of the process was done by correspondence with agencies in my home country (the police check, then getting that certified by Taiwan’s pseudo-embassy there), but the remainder was done here in Taibei, including the actual submission of the application for the JFRV (to MOFA). Whether a visitor visa can also be so converted, I know not.

Have a read of this thread for more info. To the OP, I’d suggest your husband get his criminal record results certified at the TECO office nearest you (not just notarized elsewhere) before coming to Taiwan.

I don’t see why not. No visitor should be more eligible than one married to a local, and one’s intention regarding application for a JFRV shouldn’t be relevant. :idunno:[/quote]

thanks Dragonbones, I think I’ll suggest him call TECO there and have “necessary” steps done.

and Eros. thank you too ~

Sorry Dragonbones, what I meant to say is that you cannot change any type of VISITOR visa into a JFRV.

so… he will have no choice but enter with a JFRV :s

so… he will have no choice but enter with a JFRV :s[/quote]

At some point, yes. There’s nothing stopping him from coming for a couple of months on a visitor visa (maybe in order to get some documents in order?) but he would have to eventually make a trip (I strongly recommend Osaka for friendliness and no BS) to get his JFRV.

Thanks Eros… I think I got your point ~ since he doesn’t have an ARC right now ~ then he’ll have to get a JFRV. :s

Actually, I did change a visitor visa to JFRV in Taiwan. It has been several years, though. In fact, that is what I had to do because the JFRV also required that I be on my wife’s household register (which would be difficult to do overseas).

[quote=“YAJ”]Actually, I did change a visitor visa to JFRV in Taiwan. It has been several years, though. In fact, that is what I had to do because the JFRV also required that I be on my wife’s household register (which would be difficult to do overseas).[/quote] how did you proceed it exactly…?! He does have a copy(official) of my household registration though.

Is he listed on it, though?

Is he listed on it, though?[/quote]

yeah. I came back to Taipei with our marriage certificate before we went to Beijing in 2006, then I got my new ID done with his name(chinese that is)on … so his name is on my household registration~

Sorry, but like you said YAJ that was several years ago. Things have changed. I know it’s bizarre having to be put on the household registration and all first, before you apply for a JFRV outside the country but that’s what must be done.

He won’t be able to convert a visitor visa into a JFRV. Sorry to be the one that keeps raining on the parade.

Sorry, but like you said YAJ that was several years ago. Things have changed. I know it’s bizarre having to be put on the household registration and all first, before you apply for a JFRV outside the country but that’s what must be done.

He won’t be able to convert a visitor visa into a JFRV. Sorry to be the one that keeps raining on the parade.[/quote]
nah ~ Eros . am not here for false hope… :sunglasses: am here for correct inf that can help us the most ~ i know anything related to laws is usually a pain in the ass(it’s universal!)that’s why I, who doesn’t know this much is trying to seek a couple pieces of advice from you all, who might be way more experienced than we are !

and I even already feel better and less anxious getting those warm responses from you guys. :notworthy:

I just changed my visitors visa into a JFRV. My work visa had expired so I went to Hong Kong with my household registration in hand and got just a regular 2 months extendable to 6 months kind of visa. The disadvantage of this is you have to pay for a visitors visa (he can just get a single entry one) which is about which is about 3000+ntd then would have to pay again for the JFRV which is 5100ntd! Just don’t get a landing visa. That you cannot change. I think he should be able to do it without a problem if you have all the documents in place. Once I had all the documents ready it just took 7 working days. I am still waiting for my ARC however.

I have heard that if you apply in the USA, the TECO office may require an FBI check, which may take months. I had my sister get a city record check from my hometown, then had it approved by TECO, then sent over here. It passed through fine.

Definitely get the criminal record check approved by the TECO office there before you come here. If you have time get it from the state. He can get the medical done here in Taiwan, I would suggest it actually because they have all the standard forms, so you don’t have to worry about missing a test.

I would get a few official copies of that household registration. So far, I have had to use 4 of them.

If you are not living where you are registered and renting, then bring your original and copy of your rental agreement.

thanks… :slight_smile: and it’s actually still in process…

[quote=“circleback”]I just changed my visitors visa into a JFRV. My work visa had expired so I went to Hong Kong with my household registration in hand and got just a regular 2 months extendable to 6 months kind of visa. The disadvantage of this is you have to pay for a visitors visa (he can just get a single entry one) which is about which is about 3000+ntd then would have to pay again for the JFRV which is 5100ntd! Just don’t get a landing visa. That you cannot change. I think he should be able to do it without a problem if you have all the documents in place. Once I had all the documents ready it just took 7 working days. I am still waiting for my ARC however.

I have heard that if you apply in the USA, the TECO office may require an FBI check, which may take months. I had my sister get a city record check from my hometown, then had it approved by TECO, then sent over here. It passed through fine.

Definitely get the criminal record check approved by the TECO office there before you come here. If you have time get it from the state. He can get the medical done here in Taiwan, I would suggest it actually because they have all the standard forms, so you don’t have to worry about missing a test.

I would get a few official copies of that household registration. So far, I have had to use 4 of them.

If you are not living where you are registered and renting, then bring your original and copy of your rental agreement.[/quote]

I don’t understand Eros. Where are you getting your info from? I’m on a visiting visa right now. And I went to the foreign affairs police office a few weeks ago. And they just told me to get my documents in order (criminal record check) and then I get a marriage visa stamp in my passport. And then I get a JFRV.

I was on the phone with the National Immigration Agency just yesterday. They said “It’s much easier now than before.” and that I could get it all done in Taoyuan without needing to go to Taipei…like you would have needed to in the past.