should i bring my pixel 2 to TW? spares to sell?

so, moving to TW next month.
my wife, daughter and I all have Pixel 2s.
i know they where going to be released in TW, but havent heard since.
firstly, WILL OURS WORK ON 4G? (or be really slow like my friends iphon in china?)
secondly, should i take one or a few spares to sell? it seemed to be a really anticipated phone, and i can get them for decent prices unlocked to take for resale. as far as this goes, i could also do it with iPhone 8 and 8 plus…

suggestions?
i used to take tech to mexico from the US back in the day and finance my 4mo vacations with the proceeds. now, with a family, I have more of a plan, but, figure a few extra bucks could help us be more comfortable as we settle in.

also, if someone wants a phone in particular, PM me, i have about a week to shop for anything (and have it arrive in time) before heading out.

Hey, haven’t moved there either but I can say that figuring out if your phone is compatible isn’t that hard. There are a couple of different 4G standards, as long as your phone supports the providers tech it will work. Just google both your phones and the providers’ 4G tech.

1 Like

so, in theory, it works. as, in theory, my friends iphone should work in china. and it does “work” but reidic slow. and ive heard about this from various ppl who bring their phones from abroad. to differing rates of slowness.
regardless,
tks for the tip

China 4G is just slow, period.

The Pixel 2 works fine here…

The pixel should be fine. You should look at which bands lte4 uses. Known problem is that some Asian phones do not support band 20 which is used in Europe. The other way around is mostly fine.
Did not hear any compability issues with US LTE bands.

Cool. Thanks!

What about taking a coupl pixel 2s or iPhone 8s w me for resale?

There’s people doing that here using Shopee or Ruten. You can look to see the latest prices. I’m not sure if it’s legal or what the customs ramifications are.

iPhone is most popular here and they’re easy to obtain. Second is android-based.

Pixel isn’t around and isn’t really on the got to have scope. Finding someone to buy would be biggest challenge because listings on the internet where people buy sell are in Chinese unless you’re comfortable with that. If so, you’ll probably find some buyers. So go ahead and put the listings on the web sites now. But I don’t think I have ever once heard anyone talk about them or even on any web sites or anywhere talk about wanting to get one or even any comments.

Second-hand phones isn’t really much of a market in Taiwan like other countries in Asia for example Thailand or Philippines or Malaysia.

Electronics are generally more expensive in Taiwan with less variety so if you can find something that’s in demand, you can bring that and definitely sell it on the internet websites.

Do you carry a whole truck load with you to Mexico? How do you buy cheap enough and then make more profit by going to Mexico where people have less money to spend?

Sell to the right ppl. And no. Just a few in my suitcase each time.
Also, regardless of wealth, people ALWAYS want the newest hottest phone. Wierd phenomenon I have experiences in many countries. Until this year, I had never owned q contract phone. Always bought used.
As far as profit. Tech in Mexico is 30% more than USA. Than, I would buy used. So, I’d make a decent profit margin. Did this mostly back in high school
Game consoles where also a good fast sell. Ppl here have wassup too many games. In Mexico PS4 games (and the previous generations) are expensive

Definitely check some local websites like Ruten and Shopee to see what the going prices are.

I believe Pixel 2 is being posted for around 25,000NT which is roughly 750USD and XL is going for around 1,000USD. If you think you can make a profit off of that, there’s really nothing stopping you unless you bring in goods over the max amount allowed by Taiwan customs.

I was hoping the Pixel would be available in Taiwan by now, was looking to get that as my next phone. Curious as to how much you’d re-sell for. PM me.

People in developing countries want the latest tech, the hottest brands, even if that puts them in danger of losing a hand/arm/life in a robbery. No name stuff is for poor people, and they may be poor but do not want to look the part, contrary to Taiwan, where the blue slipper amah or abei is a millionaire.

My siblings do not accept HTC or gosh ASUS phones as gifts. It has to be the latest iPhone or Samsung.

TW Yahoo Bid has Pixel 2 with 64GB for average 23k to 25k, even 30k, cheapest 21k. The one with 128GB goes for 32k to 36K.

Yeah. It’s funny. In the Yucatan the millionaire ejidatarios wear 10peso flip flops and take their wife around town on a tricycle. Or used to 10yrs ago. The one I know recently bought a Hilux upon his children’s prompting.
Yeah, hadn’t really thought about my own pricing. I own 2 pixel 2 XL 64gb and one small one 128gb (I use that one only as a cloud link for my camera to upload it’s pics)
All are Verizon. I’m looking at buying a 128gb XL for myself, and having my current one replaced under warranty just b4 I fly out to sell it there.

Do y’all know what the TW customs limit is, or how that works?
I wasn’t searched when I visited ten years ago.
And when I’d take lots of tech to Mexico, I would take it out of its box and break down. The boxes. Can’t really do that anymore w modern phone boxes being what they are… Though I could carry the phones on my person and ship the boxes with my girls toys n books…

Google has the 64g Pixel 2 for 649USD.

I would rather buy it, ship it to a friend and have them bring it over than pay the 3-4000NT premium.