Should I buy this?

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?sku=42E1YRD&c=us&l=en&cs=19&category_id=2999&page=external

I’m moving back to Taiwan this summer, and I want to know if I should buy this in the US and take it with me (we are renting a container) or buy something equivalent in TW. My wife says they are cheaper in Taiwan, but I’m not so sure.

Any ideas? Prices?

Looks like a nice computer, but is Dell famous for making great TV’s? or even great computers?
Don’t believe everything you hear about it being cheaper here. I recently bought my digital camera a Sony Cybershot 5.1MP, i compared prices here compared to US and was nearly $80US cheaper in US…but then again when I bought my 512 memory stick pro it was $40US cheaper here! Figure that one out!
Also think if you buy it in the US how much will it cost to ship over here? Plus shipping something that expensive overseas and to make it here undamaged? Things to consider.

Thanks for the fast reply!

We are renting a container to ship our other household items back, so this could go in as well.

I guess I should make this a more general question as to what appliances (washer/dryer, refrigerator, etc) do most of you folks wish you had brought over with you? Any recommendations?

I think you might want to check out this thread:

[quote=“merge”]http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?sku=42E1YRD&c=us&l=en&cs=19&category_id=2999&page=external

I’m moving back to Taiwan this summer, and I want to know if I should buy this in the US and take it with me (we are renting a container) or buy something equivalent in TW. My wife says they are cheaper in Taiwan, but I’m not so sure.

Any ideas? Prices?[/quote]

Are you sure that your warranty will be good in Taiwan? Even a “great” brand name like Dell has been known to ship defective products. And as another poster mentioned, the possibility of damage in shipping should be considered.

I had a friend who bought a desktop computer in the States because it was cheaper, took it on the aircraft as checked baggage, and it never made it (stolen apparently). The airlines are limited to US$400 liability, so he had to eat it. With a shipping container I realize it’s a different story.

By the way, you’re goods will have to go through customs. I have no idea whether or not they will tax something like this. Generally they don’t tax “personal effects” taken on an airplane, but shipping containers get more scrutiny.

cheers,
DB

cheers,
DB

Be VERY wary about Dell deals if you have a printer included in your package…the only place you can get ink cartridges is direct from Dell. I find that a bit obnoxious, and it might be a major problem if you’re in Taiwan.

Thanks, everyone - I’ll probably buy local then.

For what do you want to use the plasma actually - TV viewing, PC or both?
The Dell plasma has a resolution of 852x480 only - that’s fine for TV viewing and current DVDs but too low for PC usage (I recommend at least 1024x768) or future HDTV sources.

42" Plasmas in Taiwan start at NTD50,000 (VTek), LG asks around 100k, Panasonic around 160k (all EDTV resolution). If you want a 42" (of bigger) display with higher resolution (720p) be prepared to pay 200-350k.