Should i do technical writing?

i’ve just arrived in taipei, looking for some work. Other expats have told me to try out job opps in technical writing…so thought i’d see what it’s like over here.

anyone have any advice to share, stories to tell?? anything I should be wary of?

btw, work visa isn’t an issue.

If the post above is anything to go by, don’t get a writing job.

so don’t go by the above post.

What’s with this forum?

[quote=“thom334”]

What’s with this forum?[/quote]

Hello dude…Like what is shaking man?

okay, i’ll contribute.

i don’t know much, but did talk with companies about writing for them. my info may not be the most accurate, but companies are looking for full-time people these days and from what i’m told, the job isn’t easy and may really fill up your time. it involves first getting a hang of the software that you’re writing for, then presenting the “how-to” in the most easy-to-understand fashion. many foreigners used to write part time. but from what i heard through interviews, part-timers screw up the whole process cycle e.g. the programers need to talk to you on an ongoing basis etc.

i think part-time is the way to go, if you can get one of such.

any other opinions?

I love the job. It gets boring sometimes, but where I am there’s no pressure. Mostly, just get the grammar and spelling right. Avoid abreviations. There’s a lot of grammar and technical writing information on the net. You’ll see a few jobs advertised in Taipei and a few in Xinchu. Good luck, and don’t steal my job.

Internet = informal and fast- say what you have to say then get off the shitter already. I sit in front of a computer all day having to be absolutely perfect. I’ll be damned if I’ll do the same on my free time. Well, those are the thoughts of one technical writer (sort of). And to the question at hand: I really like my job, it’s really great, and really challenging. (I know I’m being an ass but, seriously, the job is something I am very happy about. Maybe others will contribute more specifics since I do more than just technical writing and so may not be the most qualified to answer your questions.)

[quote=“Shawerma”]Internet = informal and fast- say what you have to say then get off the shitter already. I sit in front of a computer all day having to be absolutely perfect. I’ll be damned if I’ll do the same on my free time. Well, those are the thoughts of one technical writer (sort of). And to the question at hand: I really like my job, it’s really great, and really challenging. (I know I’m being an ass but, seriously, the job is something I am very happy about. Maybe others will contribute more specifics since I do more than just technical writing and so may not be the most qualified to answer your questions.)[/quote] This is kind of like the woman who cuts my hair. She knows how do it perfectly, but her own hair looks like complete crap. It’s a sort of strange contradiction I see in a lot of people, even myself. (I work on computers all day, but my computer at home is a peice of junk.)

I tried it very briefly once. It’s not as easy as it sounds and can be very demanding, especially if you’re not a “techie” or have done similar work before. Do something you’re qualified to do.