Should I get a job before I leave or wait til I'm there?

Hello everyone,

I’ve decided that Taipei is the place for me in 2007 but I have a dilemma.

I’ve heard varying reports on the chain schools and am wondering if it’s worth the security of signing up with Hess before I leave. Is is best to wait and see what’s available in Taipei? Are jobs readily available in February? (Potential Chinese New Year clash) I really want to teach in Taipei and would not like to be sent out into the sticks.

Any opinions on this issue, especially from those who’ve faced this already, would be very much appreciated. Cheers.

Bring enough money to see you through the first 2 months or so (US$2000-3000), and just turn up and start knocking on doors. I don’t think that signing up before you arrive will guarantee you’ll be in Taipei.

Unless there’s a great need for you to be in Taipei, you could also consider Taichung or Kaoshiung - they’re both big cities with plenty foreigners, bars, western restaurants etc.

Do a search - your question has been asked and answered many times.

What he said.
Do NOT sign a contract site unseen.

I’m also moving to Taiwan in Jan. or Feb., and I’ve pondered this question of securing employment before my arrival. However, after reading many posts here on Fomosa.com, and other related boards I have found the general consensus to be that seeking employment after arriving in Taiwan is the best way to go. Many posters have said that the better jobs can be had visiting schools in area in which you want to work, and word of mouth through the expat community once in Taiwan. Also, I’m planning on staying in a hostel initially and should be able to make contacts with others in a similar situation. Through my research I have found the list of things to do should include :
1. Save at least $2000 US before going
2. Make plenty of copies of passport, diploma, CV, and resume
3. Have many passport size photo’s with white background
4. Get a 60 day tourist visa from TECO
5. Get to Taiwan, stay in a Hostel
6. Visit schools, get a job,apply for ARC
6a.) get all agreements or contract concessions in writing
7. Secure transportation(for me this is “buy a scooter”)
8. Secure a living arrangement(apt.,house,hovel)
9. Teach English,smile,and digress mentally to 3rd. grade level :laughing:
If I’ve missed anything important, let me know?

Health check. And check out the list of what they’ll be checking.

And remember that it’s illegal to work in a kindergarten. If caught, you’ll most likely be deported.

Although certain schools will tell you it’s ok. Don’t believe them. It’s not.

I’ve heard conflicting things about the health check.
Some say you HAVE to do it in Taiwan, others said that there are some hospitals abroad that are okayed by the taiwanese and you can transfer the test to them.

Anybody know the true answer?

This is brilliant! Thanks Jerry :slight_smile:

I’ve heard conflicting things about the health check.
Some say you HAVE to do it in Taiwan, others said that there are some hospitals abroad that are okayed by the Taiwanese and you can transfer the test to them.

Anybody know the true answer?[/quote]

You might be able to do the health check outside of Taiwan, but the question is why would you? You can get it all done here for about $1000 NT. What’s that? USD$32.00? You can’t get it done for that price back home.

As part of the health check - do they screen your urine for drugs?

And if yes - do they check for Marijuana (THC) ?

looks nervous :noway:

They don’t do a urine test, just a blood test.

Ian asked [quote]Anybody know the true answer?[/quote]

It is possible to get a medical overseas, but it there is a chance it will not be accepted (and/or hold up your work permit) and, as TSC mentioned, it’s cheaper to get it done here.

pubba wrote [quote]do they check for Marijuana (THC) ? [/quote]

No, if they did that, there wouldn’t be many Canadians here and there’d be a shortage of English teachers.

Hallelujah! Thanks Almas John :smiley:

It is possible to get a medical overseas, but it there is a chance it will not be accepted (and/or hold up your work permit) and, as TSC mentioned, it’s cheaper to get it done here.
[/quote]

Well that makes sense. I also heard they take urine and stool samples - sounds like thats not true? Maybe thats if you are coming from a country known for having parasites?

Thanks to all of you who responded to my original question.

It’s been a great help!