Should I shave my beard off before going for job interviews in Taiwan?

Come on, beard-racists are the worst kind of racists there are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqH_0LPVoho

Why don’t people shave this odd tuft of hair off? I see it frequently…

It’s considered bad luck. Moles are connected to your fate.

The olders think it’s good luck, that it looks like a dragon.
I’m not making this up.

Is the sex just too good?

1 Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WU5fT7Q9uw

One of the codes I live my life by…
is that my appearance should be in a no way noteworthy
but then again, not so un-noteworthy as to be in itself noteworthy.

-David Mitchell-

Honestly, for locals, people don’t seemed to bother much about appearance of a male interviewee.
Female interviewee rather different, you need at least looked neat (esp. if you are not attractive).

Can’t tell the same for non-Taiwanese/Chinese-looking dude. All western dude, I’ve met here for business purpose are always dressed to kill. With clean shaven looks. Some matched with rugged shaven, but mostly clean.
I guess, since you likely not Chinese looking, it’s better to conform with the norm. Keep it neat and tidy.

Thanks for the replies! Very interesting reading.

I hate to sidetrack my own thread, but is the other side of the jealousy from men that women in Taiwan find beards attractive?

Well, I hadn’t heard of any beard fetish among the ladies, but I’ve spoken to several students recently that lament the fact my five o’clock shadow would take them a week to grow, and it wouldn’t cover even close to as much area. Had a 主任 once with a really weak beard he tried to maintain. I think it might be a recent trend (akin to the Hipster movement).

I think it’s more of an issue in the education sector. As for the Arts, I’ve got colleagues (mostly profs) that fancy a tuft of a beard. I’ve tried the grow out the mole hair and grow a long pinky fingernail (local versions) for the heck of it, but couldn’t stand it after a month or so.