Should I sue the drunkard who attacked me?

Make him do one of those public apology videos on YouTube.

4 Likes

OP, do you suffer from any actual emotional distress or physical injury? If not, I’d say :banana: it. The only point in suing would be exacting some kind of revenge. But personally I wouldn’t be buggered to go through all that, especially if it involves any expense on my part and the guy knowing my details and info in case he decides to go Cape Fear on me one day.

3 Likes

Totally agree with Drew here the TW courts are already clogged up with a avalanche of bullshit caused by frivolous lawsuits. Don’t add to that mess with another.

1 Like

The police may be facing pressure not to file reports under some circumstances, in order to keep the crime rates artificially low. That could be why they don’t sue him themselves, or just shoot him like an American cop would.

1 Like

very true, crimes are vastly unreported here. They even have large dog fighting operations in Taipei city , the local criminals have informers at police stations so they know when possible raids happen. In my time here I know of at least six westerners who have been beaten , none pressed charges. I even know of one rape case where the western lady refused to press charges. Threatening violence and swinging at you is not frivolous , if you don’t press charges why will he not do it again to perhaps a weaker person such as a child ?

4 Likes

Weak. Dude, you want this :banana:ing jabroni to get away with this shit? :banana: him and :banana: every Taiwanese person who thinks they can even lay a hand on us, whether it be in a situation like this or exploitation on the job, we need to stand up any time some shit like this happens, or they’ll think we can be pushed around. Your idea of him “going Cape Fear one day” is childish and absurd. Read what I wrote in my previous post to educate yourself on this. The man was trying to defend his family and he should absolutely press charges. What if he had attempted to go after one of his children?

Here’s the thing about charges in Taiwan, you can level them against someone and never even have to show up for any court case, ever, and they will still stick. He has video evidence, and has given a statement, he doesn’t need to do much more. I say press charges, attempt to get some money out of the :banana:er by offering to then drop the charges. Basically you make him pay up to as much as possible to you instead of the fine he would face. So let’s say he’s facing a 60,000 NT fine ( or 60 days in jail) each day in jail in Taiwan is worth 1000 NT. He’d have to pay that anyway, or do additional time based on this guys assault on the police, so you ask for 55,000 NT to drop the charges and not take him to civil court and prevent something else from being on his record. He could call the bluff, but he then has those charges to deal with still, but the person pressing the charges wouldn’t have to do anything else after that.

OP please don’t listen to people who have no experience with such situations, or any one else for that matter.

8 Likes

A man having to defend his children when facing a drunken assailant is NOT frivolous.

5 Likes

You’re not a foreigner, are you?

3 Likes

Settle down, cowboy. It’s just an opinion. You don’t have to agree with me.

2 Likes

My word. So angry!

3 Likes

Then don’t complain if the same guy attacks you when you’re out with your family or would that be frivolous too?

2 Likes

Where did I use the word “frivolous”? Calm down. Also the whole point of NOT pressing charges is because I wouldn’t want the guy having my information… which he could then use to track down me and my family. Try to keep up.

You need to “keep up” methinks. It was already suggested that he use a PO box and a TRO to protect his whereabouts.

OP, imho, you should take this asshat to the mat. Go to the legal aid foundation (as was suggested) and get some advice.

1 Like

I’m very calm it’s not me who stood by and is doing nothing when you and your family got attacked. Do something or stop moaning about it, and take part of the responsibility when it happens to another (if you do nothing). You’ve been watching too many gangster movies if you think the drunk bully is going to do a hit on you lol. if you press charges and he approached your home it’s called “harassment”. [remainder of post removed]

1 Like

Anyone who waits for one of these lowlifes to make the first move is asking for trouble, and deserves whatever they get.

[remainder of post removed]

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Prize winning drunk talk?

I’m not OP. It’s not my story. I was giving advice. If you disagree with it, fine. But try to be less emotional in your disagreement.

Again. It’s not my story. :roll_eyes:

[remainder of post removed]

3 Likes

I would definitely sue him just to prevent him trying to make a case against me first and to force him to pony up the money. Hit em where it hurts. But I would wait till the last week to settle and make the :banana:er squirm.

4 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Prize winning drunk talk?

8 posts were merged into an existing topic: Prize winning drunk talk?