Should i walk away?

Everyday I take the MRT I see a huge dog (sorry i don’t know what’s his breed but it’s HUGE and unusual in Taiwan) locked in a cage outside an animal hospital. At the first time i thought it belonged to some customer but after a whole week the dog was still there. So i walked into the animal hospital. (I wasn’t thinking too much)

The vet was happy to see me at first. But when I mentioned the dog outside he gave me a shit face and lost his interest talking to me.

“Excuse me. Does the big dog outside belong to your customer?”

(with a shit face) “No. It’s mine.”

“Then… ( I was trying to pretend to chat with him because i really wanted to know how does he treat the dog) do you take him out everyday?”

“It depends.”

It depends?????????????

Then he tried to give me a hint that i am not welcome there so i walked out the hospital. I looked into the dog’s eyes and he looked very,very sad and the cage was just enough to put him in. I got on the bus and couldn’t help but thinking how the hell can the dog live his life like this? No the dog doesn’t have a choice.

The other day i was outside the hospital again and a few people was loooking at the dog. i talked to one of the guy there.

“Don’t you think that it’s kinda abusing animal keeping him in such a small cage?”

“Do the owner walk him?”

“He told me it depends. And i don’t even want to think exactly how often the dog gets to walk…you know,just to walk.”

“What can the owner do? Where can he walk him? And do you know how dangeous is that type of dogs? What if he hurt people?”

“If you walk him with a lead then i suppose it’s fine.”

“Do you know how strong is that dog? You probably need 2 or 3 people to hold him!”

“Maybe in Taiwan we shouldn’t have a huge pet like that. It’s not fair to the dog if you keep him in a small cage like that. Look at him! He’s huge but can only crouch in that cage.”

After that conversation i was frustrated. Somebody should do something. I’m actually afriad to walk pass the hospital cuz i don’t want to see that poor dog. The dog always sit in his cage looking out the main road while cars running and people walking by. I wonder what’s he thinking. Maybe he wasn’t thinking anything. Maybe he’s fine with the way it is now. Maybe he doesn’t know how’s it like if he doesn’t have to be in the cage all day. I e-mailed to one of the organizations that helps dogs whatever. And of course no one wrote me back. I tried the Mayor Ma’s mail box and nothing happened as usual. Is it me? I worry too much? Or it’s just simply not my business? Like,i know that dog is not being treated properly but i should not interfere?

Dogs, pigs, mongooses(mongeese???) , Taiwan has them all, stuffed into cages and seemingly put on show. No you are not ‘thinking too much’; If you think that you can do something about it, then do so.

There is an unusual fear of dogs here…especially ones that are too big to fit in your shopping type bag. It’s the same in Japan~ what i consider to be childish fears such as fear of water/ swimming and sligthly large dogs— extend into adulthood here…I’m wearing my cultural blinkers here when I say that it’s pathetic.

Take a picture. Send it to the Taipei times together with a story. Post it on a bulletin board. This guy’s a vet, right, it’s not good for business if everyone knows he is cruel.

Heck, tell everyone it’s a DPP dog being held by a KMT vet. In short, do something if you feel strongly about it, but becareful.

Call the ASPCA in New York and have them send in the SWAT team. Damn that show is cool.

It is your business. Modernization comes mainly as a product of criticism. You’re doing your country a great duty.

[quote=“Southpaw”]
There is an unusual fear of dogs here…especially ones that are too big to fit in your shopping type bag. It’s the same in Japan~ what i consider to be childish fears such as fear of water/ swimming and sligthly large dogs— extend into adulthood here…I’m wearing my cultural blinkers here when I say that it’s pathetic.[/quote]

Everytime i walk my dog on the street i bump into different reaction. Most people will “avoid” walking pass him; some parents will pull away their kids as soon as possible (you should look at their faces…). One time I saw a kid start to cry even before my dog walked toward him.

sign…

[quote=“Bassman”]Take a picture. Send it to the Taipei times together with a story. Post it on a bulletin board. This guy’s a vet, right, it’s not good for business if everyone knows he is cruel.

[/quote]

This is what i am going to do on Monday when i get a chance. I definitely will do it after reading you guys’ posts. But i am a little afraid that the vet might tear me into pieces… you know, he knows me! I mean,he recognizes me everytime i pass him hospital.

I have often argued with my sister about raising dogs. She is quite disapproving of me as she wants a big dog as a guard dog which I think is ridiculous as we live in a small department. I feel sad about those dogs that were raised by her, as it often results in them being stray dogs. Needless to say the cruel training that we have argued about. I remember every time we let our dog free in the living room, he looked just like a crazy dog, running very fast around the house.

There are always two little dogs tied up near to the main road that I see on my way to have breakfast nearly everyday, and they both look dirty, like their owner has never washed them… Every time, I walked past them, I see that they just sit there which makes me sad. What we can do? I think that is a moral thing and hard to change someone’s standard here in Taiwan.

Is this just south of the Xinpu station, I think I saw it too. Now anyone can take a picture of it now. But local papers would just look on the bright side “Is this the biggest dog in Taiwan ? How cute”

I expect nothing less from a country that has only recently made the practise of eating dogs illegal. :s

YES!!! That’s it in Xinpu station!

Well i won’t send it to the local newspaper cuz they won’t give a shit. (The only hope we have is “Apple Newspaper” though…they report something that others won’t report.) I 'll send it to taipei times,china posts whatever foreigner media. Is there anyone here who has connectione with them? Maybe you can help me to do that.

WWWWWWWhhhattttttttt? they did? How come i don’t know about this :astonished: that’s so barbarian

I have seen the same thing a thousand times. They just DON"T GET IT. I am not shy about walking right about and saying exactly that. Usually , nothing happens. But you said SOMETHING.
The cruelty here is more a complete lack of consciousness. People NEED to be TAUGHT. Which my kids get from me every day. Lessons on kindness and simple decency.
I have let dogs off their chains in the middle of the night, MANY times, but they go back. Sometimes they don’t. Maybe they survive, maybe not. But I would rather die than live that. I am pretty sure they feel the same

Set it free! Set it free!

anyone out there would help me to take a pic of that poor dog ? I don’t think i can do it on my own cuz the vet stares at me everytime i wait for the bus outside the hospital… :help:

Yeah… I’ll kick his ass and run away if you want! Just send the address (in English please).

I know it’s at Xinpu Station (the blue line) and you get out from the number 3 exit and just walk straight for about 1 min then you can see the poor dog… you know the vet is sneaky cuz sometimes he hides the dog inside of the hospital (in the very back) so he can get away with it :bluemad: