Should Taiwan drug test foreign English teachers regularly?

Of course it wouldn’t need to be raw plant material.

Hamlet must have a really sweet job (and/or someone must really hate him) if he’s at high risk of that. :2cents:

“man” :de:

I always thought it would be “one” as in “one should be realistic when solving problems”?

The pronoun one has quite formal connotations (particularly in American English[1]), and is often avoided in favor of more colloquial alternatives such as generic you.

1 Like

Ah i see. Thank you good sir.

1 Like

Do you see what’s happening here?
You say, "when you consume cannabis,…
I say that’s wrong, the conditional you are describing does not apply, or as desired here in the thread should not apply. The keyword you are looking for is mandatory or regularly testing.
In other words, you want to invade my privacy even though I did not do anything wrong.
When you get caught carrying any forbidden substance, there will be sufficient evidence to test you. What you intent to do is accusing all teachers of possibly wrongdoing.
How about tapping everyone’s phone then?
A camera above your bed?

A camera in the hallway, the entrance, the sidewalks, in restaurants, public buildings, etc. Oh! we already got that.

1 Like

Taiwanese people are reported every day for smoking all kinds of drugs, sexually harassment, and every other kind of “reportable” behavior.

It’s only when a report involves a foreigner that it is discussed on Forumosa.

There may be a little extra “buzz” in the local media when the foreigner is involved, but not much.

I disagree with your statement that when Taiwanese are involved it’s not reported, but when foreigners are involved, it’s reported.

2 Likes

I like it when Taiwanese are caught with like a ton of meth (this actually happens). That tends to put John Appleseed with his gram of reefer into perspective.

Meanwhile in semi-related news: The City of Seattle has just filed a motion to vacate all convictions & drop all charges for marijuana possession for anyone arrested in the city over the last 30 years!!

3 Likes

Taiwanese people are reported every day for smoking all kinds of drugs, sexually harassment, and every other kind of “reportable” behavior.
It’s only when a report involves a foreigner that it is discussed on Forumosa.
There may be a little extra “buzz” in the local media when the foreigner is involved, but not much.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I didn’t mean that Taiwanese are never reported on whatsoever for any illegal activities.

My point was that for that day. The “buzz” was the foriegner arrested for smoking weed. Google “American arrested for smoking weed taiwan” in English and in Chinese. There are a multitude of Taiwan national news outlets that reported on it. During that same period of time. Not many if any of the Taiwanese that you say get reported for drug offenses made the news. Can’t find one article about a Taiwanese guy arrested for the same offense.
Forumosa didn’t break this news story. I heard about it well before from a few Taiwanese buddies, then seen it in the Taipei times newspaper and seen it on the tv of my breakfast place then heard about it from some English teachers I know from the UK. Then I seen it here when I seen a post about if singling out all foriegn English teachers for massive and mandatory drug tests is a good idea.

I have to disagree with you. Think saying there is slightly more “buzz” is a massive and epic understatement.

If you’re a foreigner and do something really dumb or illegal. It’s pretty easy to make the news in Taiwan if someone has a cellphone pointed at you. It maybe just the same when a foreigner does something positive too. But negativity in most countries makes the news first.

1 Like

It’s not on TV or the second page of the newspaper though.
Taiwanese guy caught smoking a joint doesnt really do it for the masses.
There’s not a little extra buzz there is a massive extra buzz with foreigners involved in most criminal acts and misdemeanors here, especially if there are photos or videos of said acts.

2 Likes

As if their homeless population wasn’t big enough already. What a bunch of geniuses.

How do you figure? I’m not seeing the connection.

Seattle’s homeless problem is already at crisis proportions. Where do you think all those people they let out of prison are going to end up? I don’t think overturning this type of conviction is necessarily a bad thing, but the timing doesn’t seem very good, and knowing the Seattle government, this isn’t going to be handled in a sensible manner.

How many people do you figure are really in prison for it? I’m kind of thinking it can’t be a large number.

In my opinion, the government should not only drug test, but improve regulatory environments! What does that mean? If you teach very young children in Taiwan (foreign or local), you need early childhood education certification (as you often do in the West). Teach kids in a school or buxiban? Teaching certification should be required in all cases!

The number of foreign teachers would plummet and demand for proper ones would rise, as would wages. The masses of people that do not have certification? Back to school. :grin: Or time to cook chicken or make me an espresso. :joy:

1 Like

Washington State had a three-strikes law in place back in the 1990s, so I wouldn’t be surprised if it was a considerable number.

For felonies? I would guess most simple possession cases would be misdemeanors.

From what I can see, unarmed dealing counted as a strike, but not simple possession. Interesting that Washington was the first state to pass a three-strike law. I did not know that.

I would figure your average marijuana dealer is not in danger of being homeless. I wonder how that affect the “three strikes” though? Would it even be voided? Also it says “possession” and not “dealing”. And maybe there’s something like “possession with intent to distribute” over a certain threshold.

Well, considering it’s legal now, the market has changed a lot. I doubt they’ll be able to transition quickly into a budtending position at the local dispensary. It’s really tough finding work after a long stint in prison.