Should Taiwan drug test foreign English teachers regularly?

I’d reserve drug testing for occupations that involve public safety - things like planes, busses, taxis. I agree with the other posters about drugs being used with locals, too.

Man, if I saw a drug testing urinal I’d just piss against the wall.

What next, brain implants that monitor anti-social thinking?

9a0e84bea855b957d4d1903e1cb83a28

1 Like

Yes they should drug test. Especially those working with kids

They should absolutely not. As long as everyone does a proper Job and doesn’t Show up stoned at work noone should be submitted to mandatory drug screenings. I would be more worried about an stoned trucker than an stoned teacher

1 Like

Personally, I’d be more worried about sober teachers. They’re bound to snap at some point and go on a violent rampage.

1 Like

lol stoner located

It may disappoint you, but i never took any drugs beside cigarettes and alcohol.
I just advocate a principle of proportionality

I don’t have any friends who partake here (none are morally against it, but unlike in the US, UK, Canada, it’s incredibly stupid and dangerous to pursue that lifestyle here). So I’m wondering where you find these daredevils.
Anyway, if it offends you so much, perhaps you should get different friends?

Just pee in the sink…
Problem solved

bump

Just received an email from the AIT:

The American Institute in Taiwan has seen an increase in arrests related to marijuana over the last several months. AIT reminds U.S. citizens in Taiwan that penalties for possession, use, selling or trafficking (including mailing) of illegal drugs in Taiwan are severe, and convicted offenders can expect long jail sentences and heavy fines. Taiwan also has the death penalty for certain drug offenses. Law enforcement in Taiwan treats all drug violations very seriously.

I’m on their mailing list, but I didn’t receive it. Does AIT know something about you that we don’t? :sunglasses:

I got it too…about 20 mins ago.

You might be forgotten.

Actually, I just got it. I guess some people have better internet service than me.

Indeed. I also come from a place where weed is legal…heck, it grows wild as a weed, that’s why it is called…never mind. Contrary to many here, I have a moral objection topwards its use in Taiwan becuase to me it stinks of hubris. Foreigner privilege. They -the people who smoke openly, yes, anywhere, bars, discos, street, and otehr people’s homes- are flaunting the law. They know drugs are anathema because of historical connotations, especially coming from a foreigner. yet they actually think 1. they are enlightening the masses by using this. 2. they are immune to the arm of the law because they can play the foreigner card 3. It is their right because they can do as they please.

So in that sense I sort of agree with tando, that there are many jerks around, but I do resent him labeling all English teachers as pot heads -or at least, most of them. In my experince, most are young Taiwanese who have studied or lived a while abroad and got hooked, others who have not been abroad yet think this habit makes them cooler than ice.

Regarding fiendships, Imay I ermind you guys, for example, in the past, when I used to go to parties in foreigners homes -and one of the reasons I stopped doing it- and someone started smoking a joint, I would vacate the premises ASAP. I have a job and a family here I cannot jeopardize and if the police comes in whiel some idjit is indulging, it becomes my problem because everyone in the abode will be arrested and possibly deported. At least drug tested, embarrassed publicly and there goes your job. So while anyone else’s smoking pot is their busines, it becomes my business if I am affected. hence, I would suggest that if you have friends that snmoke, keep in mind their right to whatever may affect you. And if you are teh freidn that smokes, please do so responsibly, without fucng over other. Finally, a reminder that many people here do not play nice: anyone that smokes is a phone call away from being sent a nice search party. No, you do not have to be a dealer, but anyone that dislikes you has this loaded gun at their fingertips to scew you over regally.

Actually, my first thought about the guy in te news was that at 2am, someone must have ratted him. Don’t tell me the cops just happened to walk, not drive by.

1 Like

Well, actually I do also object to it for the reasons you eloquently stated. When I said “no moral objections”, they don’t think it’s an inherently evil or toxic plant. But I do think you should respect the laws of the country you reside in (as long as they don’t infringe on your civil rights, such as anti-gay statutes… I don’t consider banning blunts and bongs to be infringing on anyone’s pursuit of equality and happiness, which is why I find comparisons to anti-sodomy laws so trivializing)

The plant itself is under utilized. using it for fabrics and healing oil should be more widespread. Instead, we have wanna be hippies trying to chill out, or people using it to relax after work, which to me is fine but should not be the main purpose. More research should be done so it can be used for medicine -as my tribal ancestors did. It is not evil nor toxic. As a matter of fact, because of restrictions and labeling as bad, the current indigenous population is limited in using it as a healing herb.

I agree. My little brother suffered from epilepsy and it would’ve helped calm his seizures immensely. I don’t think any of the foreigners caught puffing away here are using it for medicinal purposes, despite what they may try to claim in court.

Actually, cops are everywhere in the Xinyi area after midnight.

It’s too easy for them to catch drunk drivers there because of the clubs/bars in that area. It’s definitely the last place AND time frame in Taiwan that you want to break the law.