Should Taiwan offer a financial alternative to renunciation?

Taiwan currently offers a cheap and easy path to citizenship with a nominal fee of 1,200 NTD, but this requires pleb applications like myself to renounce their original nationality. However, Taiwan is capable of allowing dual nationality and do so to special talents.

Given this, should Taiwan consider offering dual nationality through a different mechanism—a substantial financial contribution? Proposing a fee in the region of 10 million NTD, to be paid upon application.

This fee would essentially act as a contribution to Taiwan and in return for that contribution… Taiwan would not require you to do military service or renounce your original citizenship.

This would also give people the option to maintain their lifeboat out of the country in time of war with China and also allow people to return to their country of origin without a visa.

No. But it would be fair game to require longer residency to get citizenship without renouncing. So they would be eligible for citizenship in 5 years same as now but if stay say another 5 years they can become citizens without renouncing.

15 Likes

That could work too

Didn’t they just change some law so that “exceptional” foreigners can get citizenship without renouncing their original citizenship and they waive the application fee :joy:. Make a million + USD/yr but oh, woe is you, that US$38 application fee…

7 Likes

Yes but I propose the application fee be 10 million if you don’t want to have to renounce

Or just effing have equal expectations for Taiwanese born people and foreign born people?!

7 Likes

Naturalization rules is a sovereign right on the Taiwan side.

Taiwan can choose what is beneficial for itself. (Even if to you or others it doesn’t seem that way)

Proposing a fee would be a step closer and fairer than having rules based on how good your basketball skills are.

I’ll be curious to see how @Mataiou ‘s complaint goes once he is technically a national

3 Likes

Would it? It would just favor the wealthy. Does Taiwan really need that kind of spare change?

8 Likes

Next year, prepare popocorn

5 Likes

There is. When you are born you get one nationality in most cases unless you have parents with other nationalities. Dual citizenship isn’t a right it’s a privilege.

1 Like

Nope but it’s already on offer.

I hope my country chooses not to send soldiers or military equipment in the event of war with China. You know, best thing for me and mine.

2 Likes

Then they can give another tax surplus handout, except to those on ARC of course

1 Like

The current rules only favor the elite. There needs to be an option for everyone.

1 Like

They will. Only if it benefits them (which it does due to Taiwans strategic position.)

3 Likes

Don’t get me wrong, I think the renunciation requirement is ridiculous for a country that allows dual nationality.

But it’s also ridiculous to solely blame Taiwan. The countries don’t allow easy resumption are equally to blame for the unfairness.
Taiwan allows easy resumption.

I like the idea of extending the residency requirement to exempt someone from renunciation

5 Likes

I don’t think Canada cares much about the strategic position. Better to just quietly let China have it, than to have all the fuss

44 posts were split to a new topic: Should Foreign Troops be sent to Taiwan?

So for all these people claiming Taiwan should amend its citizenship laws because they don’t like the renunciation requirement which country should Taiwan emulate for its citizenship law?

Perhaps Taiwan should emulate Bulgaria who permits dual citizenship only for native-born citizens, citizens of the EU, EEA and Switzerland, as well as spouses of Bulgarian citizens. Naturalised citizens who do not belong to at least one of the aforementioned groups, are required to give up all other nationalities.

Funny how many EU nationals will complain about Taiwan’s policy but not complain about countries like Bulgaria which is real discrimination. Taiwan’s policy is not discriminatory as they allow you to obtain citizenships after renouncing and becoming a citizen.

Do I agree with Taiwan’s policy? No.
Is it fair? No.
Is it discriminatory? No.

1 Like