Should the temp forum have an edit function?

Sould the temp forum have an edit function?

• I am a mod, and I think not
  • I am a mod, and I think yes
  • I am not a mod, and I think not
  • I am not a mod, and I think yes

0 voters

The no edit function in temp is meant to avoid people who get temped to then edit their posts and subsequently complain that they were temped for reasons that are not justifiable. Fair enough, but how often would that really happen?

I wish we could edit our typos or add to our posts in temp when needed, and I hear many people complain about this in temp, and many people use different ways to edit their posts (usually by either quoting themselves or re-posting) or to make clarifications that would be easily dealt with if there were an edit function.

I think edits should be enabled in temp.

The poll is there, feel free to add your two cents, too.

Why not simply post below your last in temp and correct your errors while laughing it off? Temp forum edit finctions (oopsies. Sorry 'bout my spelling mistake), or the lack thereof, don’t bother me at all. I honestly wouldn’t care a great deal more if the whole site didn’t have this function. I think if these little quirks about the site start to bother you, it’s a good time to take a break.

Also, why the bit about mods in your poll? What difference does it make if someone has mod permissions for some of the other forums? If they don’t have permissions in temp, they are in the same boat as the rest of us. Is a volunteer moderator’s opinion more or less valuable on this issue?

All the damn time, I’m thinking.

[quote=“Stimpy”]I think if these little quirks about the site start to bother you, it’s a good time to take a break.[/quote]I don’t think my post resembles a rant, or does it? It’s just a suggestion. :slight_smile:

Mods are the only ones who can be affected by the down side of adding the edit function to temp, so ultimately, yes, their opinion is more valuable for lack of better words. At least, they should have the right to make the call. For everyone else it’s just an added edit tool, but for mods, it can mean having their decisions to temp posts refuted if the said temped posts are edited after being temped.

I was hoping to have everyone bow down at my brilliant suggestion, here… Not going to happen… I’m losing touch, I tell ya.

All the damn time, I’m thinking.[/quote]

'Tis a reasonable question bobepine asks, but I voted no; I’m thinking the same as Sandman here.

You sad sad man.

If a conversation is so good good in the tlemp 4rum, then just ax that it b moved to a regular forrum. We all make misteaks. Snot a big deal.

And people will alter their original temped post. That’s what nasty temped posters do. Filthy animals.

What’s all the snot for ? I can’t help but notice there’s a lot of snot in your posts lately.

When the Muse says “Snot,” I write snot.

Snot my fault.

no edit and lose the quote function while you’re at it.

Wrestle about naked for the world to see ya warts and all…har har harr…pirate like

Obviously the obvious solution is to disable editing on posts that have been moved here by moderators but enable it on other posts. Can you add that modification now Gus ? thanks.

If spelling errors are a problem, get a spell check plug-in for your browser. As I type my response, any errors get underlined in red so I can check them. Only problem is, it tries to enforce American spelling. I don’t favOUr that [I’m keeping the U, damn it :wink:].

I have the newest version of Firefox, and it comes with the spell checker. Mine also forces the US spelling. Bloody Americans, they put z’s in every word!

The spell checker is great for someone who is learning like me, but it has a down side, too. It makes me lazy, and because it doesn’t correct grammar, it’s easier to miss typos. A common one is if I want to type “they” and I type “the” instead, the spell checker doesn’t pick it up.

Not that big a deal, especially in temp since it all gets deleted automatically at some point, but I’m meticulous that way. :tic:

If it’s not possible to edit your post, at least you should be able to add a P.S. to it. It’s annoying if you make a post and then want to change something, but the only thing you can do is to double post.

Can you help me find such a modification - on phpbb.com, phpbbhacks.com, or elsewhere? If you can, I probably would :wink:

Would another solution be a modification allowing moderators to lock a post (rather than a thread)? That way a mod could lock a post before temping it. If we had this modification, then you could enable editing for the temp forum as a whole. :idunno:

I don’t get it - why would only locking a single post help here? :idunno:

If the concern is that posts sent to temp by mods would be edited by the OP in order to claim that the mod’s temping it was unfair, then the mod locking that post first would prevent this. But if the mod wasn’t concerned about that, or if a post was originally made in temp, then editing would be enabled.

Thanks for clarifying this. I’m curious, how often do such accusations actually happen?
I wonder if people really think these forums are so overmoderated, or if there are just a few extreme posters who over-react (ala Abigail Williams for you Arthur Miller fans) to very sensible decisions

For me, the inate beauty of the temp forum lies in precisely the fact that termp has no edit function.
It’s a place where it all hangs out, for better or worse. Given the precocious & inane banter that passes for real discourse on many of these forums, the temp forum is a refreshing waft in the face.

As for spelling, etc. can’t this be dealt with via the preview button?

[quote=“Goose Egg”]Thanks for clarifying this. I’m curious, how often do such accusations actually happen?
I wonder if people really think these forums are so overmoderated, or if there are just a few extreme posters who over-react (ala Abigail Williams for you Arthur Miller fans) to very sensible decisions[/quote]Look at all the “where did my post go ?” posts.