Should travelers skip Changhua?

Hi guys,

I just published a page about Changhua on my website.

Then I got an (angry) e-mail from someone who lives there. That person was a little mad about my introduction about that city…

I wrote:

Changhua should only be on your list if you have extra time to spare during your trip in Taiwan.

You can view the page here.

And that person what saying that I have no right to say this as Changhua was one of the best places to sample traditional Taiwanese life on the west coast.

Now, this travel guide is mainly aimed at travelers… who will, on average, spend between 1 and 3 weeks on the island… To a certain extend, I like Changhua… but I personally don’t think it’s such a “must see” destination if you’ve got just a few weeks.

What do you think?

Any Changhua lovers out there who believe the person was right…?

Any special, secret places I have neglected?

Ugo

[quote=“Ugo”]Hi guys,

I just published a page about Changhua on my website.

Then I got an (angry) e-mail from someone who lives there. That person was a little mad about my introduction about that city…

I wrote:

Changhua should only be on your list if you have extra time to spare during your trip in Taiwan.

You can view the page here.

And that person what saying that I have no right to say this as Changhua was one of the best places to sample traditional Taiwanese life on the west coast.

Now, this travel guide is mainly aimed at travelers… who will, on average, spend between 1 and 3 weeks on the island… To a certain extend, I like Changhua… but I personally don’t think it’s such a “must see” destination if you’ve got just a few weeks.

What do you think?

Any Changhua lovers out there who believe the person was right…?

Any special, secret places I have neglected?

Ugo[/quote]Your page on Zhanghua is nice, as is the backroad route you posted about yesterday. Actually, your whole site is pretty good, with a nice conversational style but still very informative and clear.

One thing I wasn’t sure about; the famous meatballs you refer to are 肉圓, are they? Isn’t the famous thing about the ones in Zhanghua the fact that you eat them cold? Anyway, nothing to write home about, for sure. I wouldn’t worry about the person who emailed you. You can never make everyone happy with a travel guide, it seems.

Thanks Joesax!

Yes, I was referring to the 肉圓! To be honest with you, I’ve never heard of the cold ones…

The ones I tried were hot and best eaten with the spicy orange sauce. (and a cold beer… mmmmm…)

Ugo

[quote=“Ugo”]Thanks Joesax!

Yes, I was referring to the 肉圓! To be honest with you, I’ve never heard of the cold ones…

The ones I tried were hot and best eaten with the spicy orange sauce. (and a cold beer… mmmmm…)

Ugo[/quote]It’s either Shuili or Zhanghua where the cold ones are famous, anyway.

Keep up the good work!

Sounds right. I’m just back at 法鼓山 after a 2-week trip around the island with my wife (who is now back home in the US). The original plan was to use Changhua as our “base of operation” to visit Lukang. Lukang was the main interest and not Changhua itself. I made that decision on the basis of what Lonely Planet says.

I say this was our “original” plan because health problems forced us to change our plans and scrap the idea of going to Lukang. :frowning: So we skipped Changhua too.

I lived in Taiwan for decades and I avoided Changhua as much as possible. Totally miss that town and miss nothing.

Living in this shithole, aka Changhua, I’d say you did a fair right up. Personally I’m leaving this place the first chance I get, which should be in about 1.5 years unfortunately. I want to live somewhere nice like Tainan or Gaoxiung.

If you were to spend more than two months in Taiwan, you should go to Lukang. I like the temples, streets, and I especially like the museum there (for photography). I gathered that you didn’t go inside the Folk Arts Museum because it was a nice day. Trust me; it’s very nice.

If you stop in Changhua for over an hour, you’re pushing it. The hilltop Buddha (at Baguashan) with accompanying pagodas is nice enough. That’s worth an hour; no more. The Rou Yuen (meatballs) are hot in Changhua, right?

Nice site, Ugo. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Zender, yes they are - but not as in spicy!

Thanks everyone for all the replies!

Ugo

[quote=“zender”]The Rou Yuen (meatballs) are hot in Changhua, right?[/quote]Not all of them. Plenty of people write about the cold ones:
google.com.tw/search?hl=en&q=彰化涼圓

Changhua is a great place to live, providing you can do without western stuff, bars etc. It’s a good pace of life, easy to get into the fresh air of the countryside, excellent cycling, great food (Taiwanese/Chinese), not too busy etc.

For short-term travellers there’s not much to see though. For longer term travelers, it’d be worth a day or two.