Should we indicate male/female under our screen names?

i have recently found out that some of the people i thought were male were in fact female and vice versa. it might be useful for us to indicate so under our screen names. if i know someone is a girl, i will answer them a lot differently and carefully.

Does it matter what gender they are? If, you know, you treat everyone equally with the respect due them as people rather than as males or females, it shouldn’t make any difference.

So, caught out by the wonder of the Internet huh? :laughing:

I’m convertible :sunglasses:

This is a 21st century webforum! Who cares whether you are a man or a woman. Having said this, it is not hard to guess what you are…

Star signs too please. If I knew someone was a Gemini, for example, and not a Virgo there is no way I would carry on with them. Btw, rantheman, what’s your sign anyway? :wink:

Also, religious and political affiliations, details of any major character-forming experiences such as divorce or braindeath, race, family background, IQ, weight, size of penis or breasts, health issues, personality problems, occupation, sexual orientation, and (most importantly) tolerance level for people with stupid ideas.

Actually, when people complete the profile in order to register at forumosa, we could vet them to ensure that only ‘people like us’ are allowed to join. this would obviate the problem of having to tolerate people with opinions that are even a tiny bit different than ‘ours’.

Assuming nobody lies, of course.

I think the appellation ‘Village Idiot’ is sufficient to distinguish the people we need to be careful of.

Can I get my mood globe connected? That way if I’m cranky then people will understand

Annual income should also be listed. Thene we can exclude or include people from certain political discussions eg. “you’re a part of the 10%, you bloodsuckers of the poor, how dare you comment on X”.

mother theresa,
i don’t believe in star signs because i’m a typical taurus!! ^^

guys look, there are ways to talk to everybody you meet. people are different no matter what the uni-sex social architects wanna say. i WON’T give my guy friends advice in the same way that i would to a girl. it is not right and is degrading to women. i also stand up when a lady comes to the table and open doors for them. i never argue with a woman. i direct ALL my comments to her husband in a polite manner (out of respect to the husband and her as a lady - different sex, different kind of respect). i’m also careful about the amount of help i give to a woman i KNOW has a man because that guy will tell me to mind my own business (unless its an emergency of course then i don’t care).
sorry i DON’T believe in the uni-sex theory. i want to treat everyone right. and that means treating everyone differently sometimes. so i need to know in order to do that.

how about old people too? do you know how bad it looks for a young person to argue with an old person?? when someone idicates that they are quite older than me i tend to shut up and listen and go along even if i don’t agree with them. archaic? whatever. so be it.

Half of the point of internet communication is that it frees all parties from just those traditional restraints, allowing everyone to interact as equals.

The is absolutely no logical reason to know someone’s gender USELESS you are trying to hook up online.

sorry rantheman, but if you act differently when you are interacting with a man, woman, younger or older then you aren’t treating everyone right as you say you are trying to do. The only way to treat everyone right is to treat everyone the same. :wink:
A woman who is too weak to open the door should be at home in bed and to open the door for her is not polite, it implies she needs someone to help her because she can’t take care of herself.
To not argue with a woman implies she lacks the intelligence necessary to carry herself in an argument.
To not give a woman the same advice you would a man, implies that, once again, she is unable of handling your advice - therefore stupid.
To stand when a woman comes to the table means you want to size her up as a possible sexual conquest - how is that polite.

I’m sick of this implication that doing nice things for women is somehow impolite. That’s fucking retarded. If you mean it to be rude, then yes it’s rude, but most guys who do that old-fashioned politeness thing - like me - do it out of respect for women, not because we think they’re retarded.

I can see where ran’s coming from on this. I was raised similarly - it’s not meant to imply a woman is weak when you open the door for her, it’s just being polite. Shit, I do that for people of both genders. There’s nothing impolite about opening the door for her, and I don’t see how it could be construed that way logically; it’s simple helpfulness.
Not arguing with a woman is no implication of stupidity, it’s an acknowledgement of the futility of the exercise because she’s always right :laughing:
Giving women different advice is not always about idiot gender biases - you know, women and men are different you know, whether you like it or not. There is some advice that’d be stupid to give a man and good to give a woman, and vice versa.
And how the hell is standing when a woman comes to the table sizing her up as a conquest? That is the dumbest thing I have heard in days. Personally I don’t do that, but I don’t see how it’s impolite or sexually oriented. Shit, people do that for their mothers and grandmothers as well you know, I don’t think it means they want to bone them.

I think it would be a good idea. I always thought Stragbasher was a guy until she started asking people to call her Loretta.

yeah, listen to tetsuo.
the reason why men traditionally stand when a women approaches is because only saloon girls get called over to a table. then they have to sit on the guy’s lap. to not stand up is like the woman is a saloon girl. we take off our hats because… i don’t know why but it seems right to me. so i do it.

Has nobody brought up the obvious problem with this idea?

Are you going to require a health checkup to verify that your indicated sex is accurate? :howyoudoin: :help:

[quote=“MaPoSquid”]I think it would be a good idea. I always thought Stragbasher was a guy until she started asking people to call her Loretta.[/quote]He was a guy, but he became a woman because he wants to have babies.

[quote=“Scomargo”]Has nobody brought up the obvious problem with this idea?

Are you going to require a health checkup to verify that your indicated sex is accurate?[/quote]It seems to work for the women’s forum.

[quote=“rantheman”]yeah, listen to tetsuo.
the reason why men traditionally stand when a women approaches is because only saloon girls get called over to a table. then they have to sit on the guy’s lap. to not stand up is like the woman is a saloon girl. we take off our hats because… I don’t know why but it seems right to me. so I do it.[/quote]
And that example belongs to the same era as the habit, the 1800, old west…but I just tossed that one in just to see if anyone was really reading… :notworthy:
But the others, having been explained to me during a feminist studies class make perfect sense if you think about it…so I don’t do them any more…
As for guys having different problems than girls, are we talking PMS here. Is anyone going to jump online and ask someone what to do about cramps? And if they do, I would like to think rantheman would not attempt to respond to them.
If someone asks how to change a tire, where to buy the best cut of beef, etc…I don’t think I need to know the gender before I can answer.

Did you used to work at Dairy Queen?

you can’t talk to eveyone in the same way. ever hear of discreet? i don’t say dick in front of women (can’t avoid it on the WWW) but i would say it around a table with just the boys. i almost threw a guy out of my english class for saying 'i like going to japan for the sashimi. you know what kind of sashimi i’m talking about". i felt like he had raped my girl students verbally. i told him if he didn’t apologize nobody could get me off him. so he said sorry.