Show us the speed!

I think TheLostSwede has posted this site before, but in case you haven’t tested your download/upload speed before, check out this site: speedtest.net/index.php

I did mine and let’s see if their forum links work.

Might be a stupid question, but is there any way to test the speed of a site in different countries? Would it be possible to compare the speed for a visitor of Forumosa.com in the UK vs. a visitor in Taiwan?

I’m jealous - the fastest connection I can get in my building is 2MB. Stupid Hinet.

Wow, looks like Maoman is the winner. Seems the service out in Lotus Hill is pretty good!

I’ve got the 10/1 deal, but it seems you’re on an advanced plan.

For the others, Taiwan Broadband Communication…who are they? Anyone on cable? That would be an interesting comparison.

I was also testing to other servers around the world. Very bad connection to Bangkok from Taiwan, but coming the other way seems to be okay. It’s funny watching the little glowing ball cruise over the map.

Shilin. Wenling Road

8 Meg Chunghwa connection.

I think I must be the loser, at least at home.

Holy crap that’s bad, no, it sucks hairy navel…
You ought to call and complain, that’s the worst ADSL connection I’ve ever seen…

Quite happy with my cable connection, although they don’t offer better than 1Mbit up :frowning:

my work connection is a wee bit faster, and that’s behind a fair number of firewalls, too. supposedly a T10 but i don’t see that.

pity i can’t run torrents at work. :frowning:

Nice upload speed, but then again, everything is pretty quick within Taiwan and to Japan, but beyond that speeds tend to drop off quite quickly…

[quote=“TheLostSwede”]Holy crap that’s bad, no, it sucks hairy navel…
You ought to call and complain, that’s the worst ADSL connection I’ve ever seen…

Quite happy with my cable connection, although they don’t offer better than 1Mbit up :frowning:[/quote]

Photoshop.

ha ha, j/k :slight_smile:

But it seems the cable is the way to go from those results. Not that I can change or anything but good to see the comparison.

Nice and all, except that, as mentioned before, pretty much anything outside of Taiwan goes by completely different rules. There are times that streaming takes several times as long as the length of the movie/audio file.

I’m still waiting for someone with a FTTx connection to post here…
Doesn’t anyone use that yet? I’m sure there were some people mentioning it some time ago or?

[quote=“TheLostSwede”]I’m still waiting for someone with a FTTx connection to post here…
Doesn’t anyone use that yet? I’m sure there were some people mentioning it some time ago or?[/quote]

I had it at my old place but then I moved. Even so it was just FTTC not FTTH. I think getting it from the curb to the home there’s a pretty big drop due to the copper coming into play.

But I’d also be curious to see what others have got if they’ve got any type of FTTx service.

From down here in the south

The closer and recommended server in Taichung ended up being slower

Different times of day, night get different results.

All I know is that on private trackers I’m getting 1.15mb/s down, over 200kb/s up - that’s off the island.

Out of interest, what are your plans / packages / costs etc.?

I’m on HiNet, and they actually called us to ask if we want to upgrade to the 12/2 wotsit a few months ago - I think at the time we were using the 2m/640 plan (is there one like that? Something similar at any rate). We don’t have a landline phone connected at home, so now our bill is just under 1100 a month total for this startling speed. And IIRC that’s cheaper than the earlier plan.

From your test results it looks like you have the 12/2 service already, as there’s no way you can be on anything slower with those speeds, well, maybe 10/2 if there’s such a plan.
Can’t remember what I’m paying, but we got a deal with cable TV and all which worked out cheaper than going with Hinet.