Show us your bike(s) [as in bicycles]

Seven years later.

Why the Zipps? Why go tubular? Well, why the heck not?

2 Likes

I’ve not seen too much written about mountain biking in Taiwan, this was something i’m interested in, especially considering the mountains available, but i think the main problems are the density of the trees in the mountainous area is really high, and I don’t think I ever saw a tree with just a single, straight trunk, which makes the trails (if there are any) even less predictable.

I could be, and hope I am, entirely incorrect. Welcome any further info on MTB trails and areas in Taiwan

1 Like

There’s an MTB gang out of Alan’s MTB in Taipei as well as groups in Taichung.

I would look to the gravel enthusiasts as they are just aching to get that community started with the Dirty Formosa gravel fondos doing well the past few years.

OK. I know it is not a bicycle, but I don’t see any “show us your motorcycle” threads :laughing:

This is my 1968 Triumph Bonneville 650. I restored it over a period of years. Unfortunately going to have to sell it soon. Takes up too much time when I want to take it out for a run :joy: :joy: :joy:

3 Likes

But where do you put your bidon’s? :thinking:

Triumph riders are tough. We don’t need no refreshments! :joy: :joy: :joy:

Anyone know where I can get my hands on a Vincent 52? :sunglasses:

Do you want a Black Shadow, or just a Rapide?

Top 10 Most Valuable Motorcycles: 1951 Vincent Black Lightning Tops List

1951 Vincent Black Lightning

During the Las Vegas Bonhams motorcycle sale on January 25, this Black Lightning set an auction record for the highest price ever paid for a single motorcycle. The price? In unrestored condition, $929,000.Verve says the historically significant 1951 Black Lightning race bike is one of only 30 similar models built by Vincent in Stevenage, England. After leaving the factory, the special-order Vincent was exported to Australia. While there, and under the ownership of racer Jack Ehret, the bike set Australia’s land speed record.

2 Likes

Gravel bikes are for trails, gravel, road and dirt. They have taken over from the lightweight mountain bike ATB as to slow.

I used this 2006 all air suspension Santa Cruz Superlight in U.K. on Gravel, road, sand, deep mud trails but it was so slow and hard work overall.

This is a mountain bike my 2002 Santa Cruz heckler for mountains.

I may add both of these bike was stolen from me, in the U.K. orange one in a locked garage, blue one 3 minutes outside a shop.
Want to own a nice bike and not have it stolen? Move to Taipei.

1 Like

Want to steal nice bikes?
Move to Taipei :joy:

They’ve actually started bike jackings in the UK, so I’ve heard. Moped gangs come up and push you off, take the bike.

1 Like

I’m back in Taiwan after 4 months in Spain. Where I accumulated a total of 0 km of riding and about 7 kg of Iberian fattiness.

This is how I found my front wheel after 4 months, and again the day after I pumped it. So, I guess the Revoloop tubes don’t handle inactivity (plus laying in the same position against the ground) well.

1 Like

Your tyre got depressed!

3 Likes

It probably feels empty inside :cold_sweat:

3 Likes

Recommend to store the wheels in a European country where inflation rates are very high. :rofl:

4 Likes

Finally finished my long delayed build. That’s what having a new girlfriend will do to you. Priorities, yes, I know.

Japan’s first carbon frame, as far as I know. First showed at Tokyo bike show 1988(?), this one is early 1989. Made by a conglomerate thus no recognizable branding, carbon tubes are by Nakagawa but not the bike frame company Nakagawa! Bikes sold as frames under the Dura All name.

Carbon/Kevlar weave main tubes bonded into cast aluminum lugs.
1989 Dura Ace 7400 bb, headset, hubs, cranks.
Nice Araya Aero 4 rims. I did not build these wheels myself.
2009 Ultegra 6700 brifters and derailleurs and cassette (12/25 10 speed)
Sachs Rival brakes (they became SRAM)
Rolls saddle that has been on many of my bikes.

I don’t recommend the Deda Elementi bar tape. Terrible handling and stretch for wrapping. Feels ok but it will tear fast I think.

Beautiful fork crown and rear cluster around the seat.

Amazing plush ride! Much nicer than my Colnago from 1983 or my LeMond from 1994, and a lot lighter at only 8.5 kg.

Some minor red details to be added like cable ends when I’m happy with the cabling. All DuraAce 10 speed cables and stuff.

Very nice!

11 Likes

:broken_heart: i thought we had a good thing going! :joy:

Those quill stems, are they replaceable with a headset and stem or is it very much a “piss with the dick you have” shituation?

I do like the quill look, but alas I can’t reach it. Makes justification for having the bicycle a challenge

Oh, and great bike. Never heard of that type before but unique enough to raise half a monobrow

Also, also, what size are the wheels? 700c or some 27" obscure size?

Thanks! I like it too.

wheels are 700c, I’ve gone all modern with 25mm tires. originally there would have been 20 or 21 mm tires…

The quill stem is required for those forks, which have a threaded steerer section that takes the headset nut and compresses the bearing set into the headtube. They can be found in various lengths, so you could raise or lower them as you wish to suit your style. Mine is fairly short, and i have it most of the way down, as I’m still happy with bars lower than saddle. But you can get them much taller than i have, and with different stem angles too. I actually preferred the old style quill so it can also work with my thinner 25mm diameter bars: finding a quill stem for 38 mm bar diameter (modern standard) is hard too…

There are replacement quills that end up with a 1 1/8" tube at the top that you can use with a modern clamp-on stem and bars. You could try one of those… but i like the old school look on an old bike. Currently that’s an 80 mm reach, but that frame is a wee bit long for me so I’m ok with the short reach. Sitting a little further back behind the front axle relaxes the steering a bit too.

I’m off to work now, riding the new girl. I’ll have to think of a good name for her. It’s always polite to know the name of the girl you are riding.

That is utter beauty there, Urodacus!

And the best of both worlds, a classic frame, combined with “modern” 2x10 speed, you are gonne love to ride that bike.

One little tiny winy; that rear derailleur housing is a bit short, if you make it an inch longer, it will flow the cable way better.

that’s the length they come in (the correct cable housing for that generation of derailleur). the mount point on the chain stay is a bit far forward for my liking. I was aware of it and a bit worried about that, but it shifts OK, so I’ll live with it.

if that’s a good cable length, i’ll see if i can rotate the derailleur clockwise a few more degrees, with the chain stay limit screw.

2 Likes