Show us your guitars!

Well, I found a good luthier (Sergio Huerta) in San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, México who had a German spruce and E. Indian rosewood concert-level classical guitar in stock for significantly less than the experienced luthiers in Taiwan charge, so I went ahead and got one there. By request, here are the pics with details:

Custom plywood-core case fits like a glove; guitar is 650 mm scale, 51.5mm at nut

Ebony fretboard, bone nut and saddle, bridge with 12 holes

Concert-quality German spruce top, well aged

Stock marquetry rosette

marquetry purflings

gold Schaller tuners with real ebony knobs; ebony facing on headstock

flame maple rear purflings and ebony heel cap

cedar neck

East Indian rosewood back and sides, nitro-cellulose lacquer finish

That’s a nice git.

Thanks! It would sound good in the right hands, too. :laughing:

Isn’t it always that way. :wink: Enjoy it. It really does look gorgeous.

Dang, that’s purty.
How’s it sound?

Not that I’d be able to tell a Stradivarius from a hi-hat, but that looks like a damn fine piece of craftsmanship. I’d be too scared to touch it, let alone play it.

That is lovely. I hope we can hear it some day.

VERY nice, DB. We really outta start a “Show us your guitars” thread.

EDIT: Well NOW I just look silly, ha.

[quote=“the chief”]Dang, that’s purty.
How’s it sound?[/quote]
Sounds nice, at least to my ears – very rich, full sound, good sustain, excellent volume and projection, good balance of bass and trebles, and nice, easy to play harmonics. It beats the pants off anything in the shops here. I can’t say whether it’s nicer than the one luthier-built guitar I played here, as both were excellent, and I’d have to play them side by side. The luthier also had a cedar top which sounded so nice, dark and warm that I almost bought it, even though it was only a student model. I’m sorely tempted to order one from him in a conservatory- or concert-level instrument in a few years. Those are the top three of four traditional classifications for classical guitars in Mexico, above the ‘popular’ level, which is the typical junk – so it goes popular, estudio, conservatorio, concierto.

I would too, but it already has a couple dings (it was a demo piece in his workshop, I guess) which the pics don’t show, so that makes me feel like I’m allowed to touch it. :laughing: I would have ordered a perfect new one but that would have meant waiting a year and paying for shipping plus maybe duties. I think the luthier had lowered the price a little on it already, and when I used the cosmetic blemishes for bargaining he upgraded to the purty Schaller tuners for me.

Thanks, Doc! I’ll get to practicing! :smiley:

Done! :discodance:

Beauty!

Here’s me playin’ my guitar.

I’m the guy in the middle with the blue jeans and white T-shirt. :neutral:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n10E3XwV5kA

OK, I’ll play. Here’s one of mine…

Hofner Colorama from 1963. Needs a bit of work:

I feel better about my dings already! :slight_smile:

DB’s is shinier. :neutral:

Did you make that yourself, Iris?

[quote=“zender”]DB’s is shinier. :neutral:

Did you make that yourself, Iris?[/quote]

What, like 7 years before I was born?

WTF kind of tailpiece is that?

You mean the vibrato?

Well this is what it’s supposed to look like under that cover (slightly different model):

And dissected (also slightly different model):

It’s Hofner’s own design.

You mean the vibrato?

Well this is what it’s supposed to look like under that cover (slightly different model):

And dissected (also slightly different model):

It’s Hofner’s own design.[/quote]

Funky.

I clicked on this thread thinking that it said Show us your genitals. Long day at the office.

Go ahead and post them.

Go ahead and post them.[/quote]
Yep it’s pretty much the same thing anyway. :wink: