Shut up, Chinese diplomat tells US

[quote=“ac_dropout”]And we all know how reliable USA intelligence is when it comes to another country’s military.

…Those WMD we’ll find them one day. Mark my words…[/quote]

It must be nice, being right all the time.

You’re a lucky guy.

[
1 United States (including funding for Iraq and Afghanistan) $522 bil.
2 China (2004 Expenditures) $62.5

I bet the PRC gets a lot more for their 62.5 bil than the US does for its 522 bil. We all know how cheap things are there, AND I’ll bet they don’t buy any 1.000 dollar toilet seats. :roflmao:

[quote=“Shin-Gua”][
1 United States (including funding for Iraq and Afghanistan) $522 bil.
2 China (2004 Expenditures) $62.5

I bet the PRC gets a lot more for their 62.5 bil than the US does for its 522 bil. We all know how cheap things are there, AND I’ll bet they don’t buy any 1.000 dollar toilet seats. :roflmao:[/quote]

Yep, the Russkies sell good stuff cheap.

Once again…the key factor is % of the GNP

I’m guessing US expenditure is around 15% of the GNP.

Figures on the PRC %?

Couldn’t readily find GNP figures, but the 2004 GDP for

US: $11,667,510,000,000
China: $1,649,329,000,000

Military expenditures as percentage of GDP:

US: 522,000,000,000/11,667,510,000,000 = 4.47%
China: 62,500,000,000/1,649,329,000,000 = 3.79%

This seems kind of low to me. Is my math correct?

Officially 1.5%.
US 4%.

Good article on the subject in Slate:
slate.com/id/2141966/

Fun With Government Statistics

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]Once again…the key factor is % of the GNP

I’m guessing US expenditure is around 15% of the GNP.

Figures on the PRC %?[/quote]

Who says the key factor is % of GNP (besides you)? To me, other factors are pretty damned significant such as that:

• The US spends more on military than the next 20 spenders combined
  • The US spends 6 times more on military than China does ($522 bil v. 62.5 bil), and
  • The US spends 43% of total global military expenditures (of all countries on Earth)

In fact, many people may feel those are the key factors, and that opinion is just as justified as yours. Certainly the above facts make the US seem pretty silly and hypocritical to be demanding that others cut back their military spending.

Can you really look at the below chart and tell me with a straight face that the US is not hypocritical in demanding others to cut back?

And we are helping them to increase that figure every year … buy more China made stuff, invest more money in China.
Now that’s what worries me …

Given that the US is the No. 1 security guarantor around the world including in East Asia, the Persian Gulf and Europe among many other places, I would suggest that the rest of the world (the decent countries) need to be spending a lot more on defense to help us out. As to those other nations, I can understand how Russia with its endless and hopelessly indefensible borders might want to spend a lot but why China? Where’s the threat? As to the rest of the list, I think we can pick and choose which nations are justified in spending on military needs and which are not. This is not really a question of money but morality and we know who the good guys are and we know who the bad guys are don’t we? DON’T WE?!!!

What you think of the other way round? The U.S. downsizing its “security guarantor” and “world police” programs? A bit more due diligence, a bit more looking at the cost-benefit side of things? A closer look at what is >necessary for the U.S.< and a bit less of Michael Jackson’s “Save the World”?

Focus on U.S. interests, take care of your these interests and let other’s deal with their own. Just because there is suffering somewhere does NOT obliege the U.S. to reach in and help anyone out.

So tell us a bit Fred: What are the troublespots on which you think the U.S. is spending too much on something NOT in its own interest and is merely wasting money on other people’s messes?

Who has the most enemies {real or imagined}: The US or China?

The % of GDP is an important factor ro consider, esp. when comparing the military spending of different nation states. I feel that the year to year increases are the best key to understanding military spending ebb & flow.

I think that Iraq and Afghanistan are good spots where we are required as is Europe, East Asia, Southeast Asia, South Asia, the Caribbean, Latin America and some parts of Africa. Europeans could and should do more to defend themselves however and project power to the Middle East, North Africa and perhaps some parts of subsaharan Africa at a very minimum. I would like to see more European involvement and attention to Ukraine, Belarus, Moldova, Georgia, Azerbaidzhan and Armenia at a minimum. Then, Lebanon would have been a good place for European troops. They will not ever go though and we understand that now. Is Lebanon not in Europe’s security interests? Most of your nations seem to think that it is. The US is busy with North Korea, Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Central Asia, Iran, Syria and a few others. Let’s be fair. Those places are to some extent of our own choosing (and making) BUT Iran with a nuclear weapon is a concern to everyone. Which of your European nations is in a position to do something about it? France, UK and Germany all say it is a major concern of theirs. Is that the truth or are they lying? and if so why?

Fine. You think. You want. You pay. Fair?

Which countries you refer to in specific? What specific dangers you see them in on which to “spend more”? All pretty vague.

What will I get for this in return?

And what will I get in return for that?

What was in it for me?

Can you quote someone? Or do you just refer to the general yapping of European politicians on t.v., wrangling their hands to look all “compasionate”. Is that of any value?

Care to also name how “Lebanon” threatens me right now?

Fine. You chose. You want. You pay. Fair?

Well, finally you came up with something specific. Too bad it does not concern me any more than Korea, Pakistan or China having the bomb.

You claim Europe is in a position to do something about it? Well, go ahead and tell us. While at it you may as well present us with the (undoubtedly superior) American plan … or at least your version of it.

In case you can come up with nothing, how about this here? (CAREFULL: Left wing libel! The site name says it all)

Care to also quote who again tells “it is a major concern of all of us”? Same hand-wrangling politicanos airing of yapyapyap?

Yes Fred, they are lying. It is mostly about looking “concerned” and “caring” and “compassionate” so that the heart-bleeding do-gooders base (please do not feel addressed Fred) does not whine too loud all day.

Shouldn’t you actually know better about that Fred?

Oops, I forgot. You actually DO believe America and the GOP are actually different from that, don’t you. :smiley:

China shares boarders with Afghanistan, Bhutan, Burma, India, Kazakhstan, North Korea, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Mongolia, Nepal, Pakistan, Russia, Tajikistan, Vietnam.

Not to mention countries with military strategic interest against PRC in the region. SK, Japan, Taiwan.

Looks like PRC has a lot to be afraid of.

Not the last it’s very own population, right ac_dropout? :smiley:

What’s the big deal anyways? The guy’s just saying what people are thinking anyways. He couldn’t play the game, got agitated, and let on more than he should (unless it was an act).

big f*&^in deal.

However, I’m glad to see that FS can finally admit that some of the trouble spots in the world are to some extent the US’ own making. Making progress, FS. Very good.

Not the last it’s very own population, right ac_dropout? :smiley:[/quote]
Well the KMT does have a Northern Expedition II in their old wartime plans. You never know when some young Turk might actually try to initiate it.

China shares boarders with Afghanistan, Bhutan, Burma, India, Kazakhstan, North Korea, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Mongolia, Nepal, Pakistan, Russia, Tajikistan, Vietnam.

Not to mention countries with military strategic interest against PRC in the region. SK, Japan, Taiwan.

Looks like PRC has a lot to be afraid of.[/quote]

Man, you must have a brain injury …

No, its not really fair. But, grown ups understand that life isn’t fair.

The last time the US (and other nations) decided it would be best to live and let die, the savage uncivilized Germans (I know you think they were so very enlightened, but, c’mon, let’s be real) went running amok all over Europe. Then, we all had to pay. Isn’t that right?

How fair was that?

It isn’t about fair, is it? :unamused:

Or maybe Germany would like to repay us all for our WW2 costs and the costs of rebuilding Germany? I mean, you Germans wanted to play back then… you ought to pay up now, no? :smiley: