Sichuan peppercorns NOT from China

Okay, thanks for that. I’m gonna go look for a hobby now. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Who wants to be regular anyway? Personally I prefer that sudden surprise of not knowing when exactly it’s going to happen.

If your entire facial region is completely numb due to the peppercorns, so much the better.

Oh, that’s doable. Thanks a lot, going to work on it now ^^

1 Like

In Chinese Sichuan peppercorns I have bought in the past, the black charcoal tasting inner seeds have mostly been removed, barring the ones where it has been stuck in the outer shell. So I always guessed they are mechanically processed to remove the seed, and the stuck seeds just remain.

I did get some really good ones from China a few years ago, where there were next to no seeds to remove. And the taste was floral and properly numbing. There are some good quality producers of these peppercorns in China, but I think a lot of the exported stuff is lower grade. I honestly believe if you do your research you could get a quality product imported, if you are open to it. Not all Chinese made stuff is rubbish!

1 Like

Correct. The black things are the seeds and the pacman looking thing is the peel of the fruit which is used as a spice.

The ones with seed are produced for the traditional medicine industry. Normally simply the ones that wont separate or are harvested/dried wrong. Indeed, they are passing off “grade B” as “grade A”. As far as i know taiwans fda has no rules against consumtion of the seed. And the Japanese prickly ash, a close relative, is a traditional and commercial crop here and in japan where the seed with skin is used and/or powdered together.

So i assume there is little safety concern as far as seeds, only would worry about spray.

I have seen sichuan pepper produced in china range from $100~1,300 per kg. But even at 1300kg (dry weight) its not worth growing in taiwan. The few people i have seen growing it to sell in taiwan are often selling fresh green fruits (meaning closed and with seed) so their yeild (weight per plant) goes up at least 15x as compared to dried skins.

1 Like

The fresh green fruits are awesome in some dishes, like sour fish soup. Sorry I don’t know the name in mandarin. Hope to find someone selling household sized portions :slight_smile:

1 Like

Absolutely. They are good. But different. In raiwan i think we are left with that option as the fruit skins in perfect order without chenicals would in the thousands if produced here. The green ones i like as well but they dont make a great spicy hotpot.

Its amazing how one plant can actually produce so many products based on growth method , harvest method and production methods. Its the main reason i love biology so much, its so complex and variable it can be nothing but humbling:)

1 Like

@Explant thanks a lot for all the help so far with my very own Sichuan Peppercorn plant, please allow me a few more questions:

First of all, these bumps showed up. Is it correct to assume that these are NOT the fruit (yet), as I didn’t notice the plant blooming yet?

Secondly, I’m wondering if this setup seems useful to you. It’s in a bigger pot now, with some soil from Carrefour that seems to be targeted at vegetable growing. There is a second plant in the pot as well, a Chili, though:

Especially during rainy days the soil seems to keep very wet most of the time, I hope that’s not a problem…

And lastly, recently some leaves started turning yellowish, and I noticed bugs (“lice”, “aphids”?) on some leaves. In Germany I would normally spray with soapy water (dish washing liquid in water), but I also read about spraying with diluted alcohol. Does any of this sound reasonable? Or any other good ideas?

Blurring this as it looks a bit gross:

1 Like

Will right back in more detail. Rains just pounded down so will make it brief. Yes, doing t right. Pot too small. That is indeed the actual sihuan pepper fruit. Dont worry about the scabby nature, it happens especially if not in perfect conditions.

Well on your way my friend, looking good! And you got your first fruit. Congrats!

Ps. Thy do someimes sporadically send out random fruits. I hav my theories but none are tested so will refrain

1 Like

Sorry not sure what the blurry gross pic is, my phone wont load it. Or i am too dumb to figure out how to load it :wink:

If i may be blunt. Your plant is fine. But notice the top growth compared to the bottom growth. Probably due in part to yor concrete wall shading it ,but also looks like maybe it was not gettin enough nutrients early on.

The pot you have now isnt big enough. To be honest. It will work for now, but not for later. There are fabric bags here quite cheap. Thy allow far better soil health than plastic pots. And you cen get them big. If you cant find them, pm me i can send you one and some good living soil starter.

Here is a pic of a young one of mine. This growth from my hand is since January. Though notice it stretched even though it was outside. Let em stretch, then tip for bushiness.

The single fruits you see mean you plant is mature. That wholesaler produces via cuttings, so they will produce fruit as soon as they are “established” if you up your pot size the blooms will flush out far more and retain more fruit. As far as i have seen, the species/varieties circulating are selffertile. So shouldnt have any worries there :slight_smile:

Edit. Sorry forgot to reply on the yellowing.

Your soil us probably quite shitty (again sorry, just bein blunt). Water logged potting soil tend to have numerous issues. I highly suggest repotting into something bigger, with better soil and just use tht top soil as a 4~6 inch top dress to suppress weeds. The nutrient deficiencies will balance out far better, the microbiota will become healthier and the plant will ultimately be less stressed. As it grows, you will need to feed the soil (and the plant). Pests tend to be lesser an issue when plants are not stressed. In my opinion ,it starts with soil and we can work forward after that is sorted.

1 Like

I’ve heard water after steeping with tobacco from cigarettes.

1 Like

Someone say Peffercorn?

1 Like

Thank you very much for the comments! I’ll try to understand them, but am struggling a bit… probably I learned the wrong craft and thus have the wrong vocabulary :stuck_out_tongue:

Should un-blur after tapping the photo. But here I removed the blur to make it easier:

Please be. Highly appreciated! Damn it Jim, I’m a <$useless_profession>, not a planter ^^

Something like this (Blue Ikea bags with drainage holes cut into the side (covered by mesh)?

I guess that means the plant is old enough top be harvested (if eventually there are enough fruit and I figure out by when they are “ripe”)

I guess that means there is a certain cutting technique that causes fruit to appear in more places? Currently there are 3 places with 1 fruit each.

I guess that means with a roomier pot/bag the plant will branch out more, thus having more places where fruit can grow? I was kind of hoping for more than just single fruit, more like bunches like this:

Wow, Nice!

No need to be sorry :slight_smile: Very likely… It is the tiny bit of soil the two plants came with, plus added soil from carrefour:

I guess that means use the potting soil above for the top 4~6 inches, and below use something else? Like… not really sure what to use as a city dweller. Go to the next public park and dig up some soil? Sorry I feel stupid :smiley:

I guess that means later need to use some kind of fertilizer?

Jeez I feel like that idiot that buys some random hardware and slaps it together, hopping it will work. And it doesn’t. And has no idea why :smiley: Much appreciate your expert input, but I guess I should anyway first read the manual and FAQs like those:

1 Like

Hehe, nono. Your vocab is fine. I am sure i probably typo’d the piss outa that. Will reply with more literacy tomorrow haha. Or if the caffiene stops me from sleeping later.

Posting more to say no to ikea shopping bags. Will take a pic for you. Very different thing, too “tipsy” to describe it. But dont use those shopping bags!

Edit. I can can send you some decent soil to mix with the store bought stuff. Organjc and fucking great base for things. But its living. Meaning, has bugs :wink:

1 Like

I think @Explant meant these kind of things?

https://shopee.tw/search?keyword=生長袋&page=1

(I don’t know whether that’s the best search term - it’s just from the product description when I bought them previously.)

2 Likes

Different. Should nte everyone ha different opinions on pots to use haha. Here are my preferences.

I dont use those smooth plastic bags for afew reasons. Mostly because thy dont breath well. Same with plastic pots. Trees will definately get root bound in pots eventually. Smooth plastic creates wet spots andungal/bacterial infections are more prevalent.
A good test is to water the heck out of it and watch to see if any water comes out the sides. This is idea also means better airflow which does mke adifference.

Here are the ones i use for trees. I think t mandarin is 美植袋 (my character knowledge is terrible at best).

All sizes available, from small 1 liter up to over a meter diameter. There are different companies making them. I strongly suggest eting the rigid walls not the soft ones! For the balcony sichuan pepper iw ouldnt go smaller than70cm dia.

The one one the left is rigid, the left is soft (They are crap)

Notice the moss growing on it. Great sign of water penetration. That pot is only 6 months in use…

2 Likes

How are your plants growing?

our farm that had all our trees didn’t renew the contract. so we started over with cuttings. amazing how strong they are. an old abandoned plant holding the shade cloth in place as well as the cuttings all fruited.

4 Likes

You had to walk away from a fully-planted piece of land? WTF?

My assumption was the 7 years I built up the topsoil with compost and certified it organic was a bit to tempting for them. god i hope they dont grow rice on it after a year :frowning:

this is why i HATE renting. the amount of time effort and money that goes into our soil is a bit ridiculous, and inevitably it is always for temporary :frowning:
land here is just god awful expensive!

So basically they stole your stuff. Doesn’t surprise me in the least. Same thing happened to me.

I’d be tempted to douse the whole lot with something so they can never grow anything on it again. Or hire a bulldozer and a fleet of trucks and take your topsoil with you. Assholes.