Side effects of Heartguard?

Has anyone noticed any side effects when they give their dogs Heartguard? I’ve looked on the net but all I’ve found is dangers of overdose -supposedly is perfectly safe.

Has anyone been told otherwise by their vets? Mine say there shouldn’t be any problem, but I still notice broblems like diarreha, listless… I just want to rule out all possibilities -you know me, I’m quite overprotective when it comes to my pets.

I haven’t noticed anything with my dogs…

[color=#4000BF]The active ingredient in Heartgard is ivermectin, which is often given in large doses to treat certain skin conditions, so it’s very difficult to overdose.

However, we did have one dog we rescued who was believed to be showing signs of overdose; the problems were neurological, as I remember. Sorry I can’t provide more info at the moment.[/color]

Edit: quick bit of online research for ivermectin overdose:

members.dslextreme.com/users/uni … rdose.html

[quote]The clinical signs of Ivermectin poisoning are:

excessive dilatation of the pupil of the eye (mydriasis)
lethargy
stupor
coma
tremors
loss of coordination of the muscles, especially of the extremities (ataxia)
vomiting (emesis)
drooling
death

Less visible symptoms:

depression
tachycardia (fast pulse)
blood pressure fluctuation[/quote]

Certain breeds have severe adverse reactions to ivermectin. Mostly the collie types.

We had to leave out dog with friends once, just after having him treated for heart worms. The dr. had given us heartguard for him, and we asked the friend to give it to him if we weren’t back within the month-we knew we might not be and we weren’t. We were actually gone for almost 4 months! Nice friend still had our dog–but had been feeding him the heartguard once a WEEK. Called the dr. and he said no problem. We didn’t notice any problems like you discribe, or any others either.

Mmm… Thanks for the input. SD, I’ll look into the neurological link. Poor doggie supposedly had/has neurological damage -though that does not prevent him from chasing the cats or picking up fights with other dogs in the park.

I was thinking more in terms of “allergies”, but as you guys have stated, even with high doses, it is very difficult to do harm.

I am now wondering if with the prevalence of mosquitoes in Taiwan, should we also give this medication to cats?

[quote=“Icon”]
I am now wondering if with the prevalence of mosquitoes in Taiwan, should we also give this medication to cats?[/quote]

I’m sure there is feline heartguard. Ask your vet about it. When we took in our ShaoBai the vet said that 100 percent of street animals in Taiwan would have heart worms–because of the mosquitos. Of course, pets get bitten, too. If you haven’t had your cats checked out I don’t think it would be a bad idea.

Ivermectin can also be administered by injection. Also much cheaper.[ for me anyways…I have an awesome vet}

Ask your vet about it.

Housecat,
I haven’t gotten my cats tested. They are rather wild and only 2 have gotten full bloodwork. I choose my battles as they come.
I have seen the feline Heratguard at the stores, but not at the vet. She thinks it is not necessary (??!!)

SoulDragon,
I will ask the vet about the injection. How long will it protect them for?

Ivermectin by injection good for one month.
One bottle is about 1200-1500 NT and good for fifty dogs [ depends on weight ]

• the syringes.

You can also get the Ivermectin in powder form, about NT$1,000, which is enough for about 200 dogs.

Guys, I only have a small Maltese. The rest of my companions are 4 cats. No way the cats can have powder and even less chance of having them stand for a monthly injection. Thanks for the suggestion, anyhow. It would be a lot cheaper. Unless I can share…

Share? I’m all for sharing.
It would be good to learn how to do injections, too.

Same boat, though. I can’t imagine getting any into the cats.
Would use it on the dogs, though.

That heartguard is expensive. So is Revolution.

…POWDER!!!..pssst…Whose on the supply line and how can I get me some? :beer:

can just see me now…come here my little flowers…POWDER time…LOL
…as the Squad runs like bats out of hell :help:

Far better chance then trying to inject the wiggly sneaky bastards. :taz:

:laughing:
I feel your pain, SD.

Just this morning it was a riot trying to give the doggie 3 pills… If he gets two down, I’m satisfied. No amount of meat will disguise my intentions.

Come to think of it, he’ll wise up after an injection or two…

Kage, how’s Revolution working for you? I think it has heatworm medication , too, right?

I was advised to use both.
Revolution to prevent the mozzie bites , and
Heartguard to prevent heartworm.

Revolution is also for fleas and a bunch of other stuff.

Drugged up doggie :frowning:

[quote]I was advised to use both.
Revolution to prevent the mozzie bites , and
Heartguard to prevent heartworm.

Revolution is also for fleas and a bunch of other stuff.
[/quote]

It shouldn’t be necessary to use both. Revolution prevents heartworms, roundworms, fleas, ticks, earmites, and sarcoptic mange: revolution4dogs.com/content. … CN&sec=210

We use Revolution once a month on the dogs and cats. The dogs are much more at risk from going outside and some of the cats play with the dogs so they are at risk, too.

If we see fleas or ticks before the month is up, we use Frontline spray or give them a flea bath.

We’ve tried many things and this has worked the best for us to keep things under control. It’s not ideal or cheap but it’s easy to administer and it’s been effective. And I’ve never seen a dog have a bad reaction to it, only 1 cat. He lost a small circle of fur on the back of his neck.

I feel a bit uneasy about stuff that is so safe that “no side effects have been observed”. Call me an unbeliever, but I do not trust such stuff.

Actually, it was another vet who told me he did not advocate using Revolution because it was “too strong, too many things at the same time”. That is why I am not using it currently, but I’d love to.

Furthermore, the roundworm paste I bought in the US has run out and can’t find it on the Internet. If I could give them one medication -even though it’s expensive- for most problems -like Revolution- I’d be delighted.

Fleas prey on those with the weakest immune system. If your dog is getting fleas, you need to work on the root of the problem rather than disposing of the symptom. At the Animals Taiwan Rescue Centre, we’ve never had a problem with fleas, as we feed an immune-system-boosting natural diet, and we’ve not had problems with ticks since giving ample amounts of garlic every day.

Chemicals will certainly kill and repel fleas and ticks, but what are they doing to your dog’s immune system?

There are natural methods of controlling heartworm, too, but I’ve not seen them in practice so haven’t tried them at the Rescue Centre, so we still give Ivermectin. The box you buy will say to give every 4 weeks, but actually Ivermectin provides preventive support for 6 weeks, so that’s what we do.

There are many reasons why our dogs aren’t living to their potential 27 years plus these days, and it’s largely due to the methods we trust to keep them healthy, ironically - from ‘scientific’ diets to ‘veterinary-approved’ chemicals for controlling parasites that a healthy dog has no problem repelling.

Time to wake up.

It seems that Ivermectin has an additional (added advantantage) use in dogs (and humans)