Sidewalks are DANGEROUS in Taipei

I’ve never been able to confirm this, but I have heard it from a few older Taiwanese people. Supposedly, Chiang Ching-kuo made a fortune on Taipei sidewalks. He started a company that made little red tiles with a circle and diamond shape in them, then mandated that they be used in sidewalks just about everywhere. Suffice it to say those tiles weren

Well, if they’re improving things then I guess there’s no point in my continuing to grumble. I just hope other cities will follow Taipei’s lead on this matter in short order.

Personally, I much prefer the Taiwanese model of dense, urban development (even with the completely uneven sidewalks, scooters whizzing by in each and every direction, etc.) where a breakfast store, a 7-11, a small park, etc. are all within very short distances over the American exurban model of long stretches of strip malls and big box retailers each individually surrounded by huge acres of parking lots where it takes 20 minutes in a car to get anywhere.

And whining about the sidewalks in Taibei? Puh-lease. The sidewalks in Taibei are fantastic.

I’m always puzzled at the locals who still walk along the roads rather than the sidewalks that are free from scooters or any other obstacles.

Photos of improved sidewalks (technically, arcades).

english.taipei.gov.tw/TCG/index. … ordid=4748

I have a broken foot from stepping of the fucking things. So you don’t have say much to me to have me in agreement. If there is one thing I would fight for in Taiwan, aside from foreign rights, would be for them to get some decent city planners. :unamused: :fume:

[quote=“Fortigurn”]The most dangerous part of the sidewalks are the scooters. Indeed, the most dangerous part of the streets are the scooters. The greatest contribution to inner city pollution is probably also the scooters.

I hate the scooters. Recycle them and ban them, I say.[/quote]

Very Well Said.

You can