Sideways

Can somebody tell me why Virginia Madsen got an Academy Award nomination for Sideways? Don

[quote=“Chewycorns”]
Its just the people in this movie annoyed the shit out of me. They were such poseurs, although the Chinese actress was cute in a

A lot of people seem to think that it is a great movie: rated “97% fresh” on rottentomatoes.com. I saw it on a China Airlines flight to Taipei this morning and liked it so much I was just considering to post here and recommend it. :smiley:

[quote=“markshih”][quote=“Chewycorns”]
Its just the people in this movie annoyed the shit out of me. They were such poseurs, although the Chinese actress was cute in a

i didnt think virginia’s performance was that great and deserving of a nomination. i just saw the movie this week and thought it was hilarious. yeah the guys, especially Miles, were pathetic but he was supposed to be. thats what made it so funny. kind of like napoleon dynamite, he was so pathetic and everything he did was so lame that it was funny. i thought both the main actors performances were great. remember the groom to be was the dumb mechanic on wings, and his drunk buddy was pig vomit off private parts. i recomend that movie to anyone who hasnt seen it yet.

Pathetic men are a staple of the modern film industry.

Usually they’re just either in the audience or reviewing films on AICN though.

A lot of people seem to think that it is a great movie: rated “97% fresh” on rottentomatoes.com. I saw it on a China Airlines flight to Taipei this morning and liked it so much I was just considering to post here and recommend it. :smiley:[/quote]

I thought it was a good movie too. I also saw it on China Airlines (returning to Taipei on Monday). Although there were a lot of funny moments, my favorite was when the girl says, sure, she’ll look at his unfinished book manuscript full of typos, so he reaches over and hands her this huge box, and one groans at the miserable task she has agreed to, then he reaches over and gets the second box containing the other half. Ugh.

As for her acting, I didn’t know she was nominated, but I have no complaints with her performance. I was sceptical about the guy cast as the womanizing buddy at first, cuz he seems like such a made-for-TV goofball character, but there are guys like him in real life and I felt he did a plausible job of acting as a real character and not a fictional goofball.

Incidentally, my brother tells me the wines featured in the movie have become trendy as a result.

[quote=“markshih”]
Her name is Sandra Oh, She’s Korean-Canadian.[/quote]
As an aside, I really enjoy her work. My favorite so far is her 1994 movie “Double Happiness” about a Cantonese family struggling with western life in Canada. Her performance in that was a delight.