Signed a contract with a school to come to Taiwan in July, you think work visas will be cancelled?

Ok well. Good luck with your plan suffice to say new teaching jobs not looking good at all .

:confused:

Given that there is no local precedent, perhaps you should ask Shane if they will still move ahead with the work permit (which you need to get the visa)…

1 Like

more precise prediction was already made by @rooftopclown.

2 Likes

@Help_Me_Be_A_Teacher they just announced that non-residents will be banned from entering Taiwan until further notice.

3 Likes

Sorry @Help_Me_Be_A_Teacher, that sucks. It took me a year to get here and it was a huge pain in the ass to do so, and you were so close. I bet this is frustrating and disappointing for you. But, perhaps you can find a better job or possibly get your paperwork lined up in the meantime. It can’t last forever, Taiwan will still be here when you get here :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Do you think I can get it all lined up or will they freeze the process for now

It might just last a month. Hearing conflicting things. I’d just delay until things start to stabilize. @Help_Me_Be_A_Teacher if your employer demands you arrive while the country is in Level 3 or Level 4 crisis mode, he probably isn’t a good boss anyway.

1 Like

have you had your degree authenticated yet? that has nothing to do with what is happening here…

No, does that happen in Taiwan or in my home country? My employer just said I had to send all my docs including authenticated health check to Taiwan via airmail

Still waiting for clarification from them about degrees

I’m going to keep moving with everything until I get to a barrier

I want to be out there asap after they lower the restriction

It happens at the TECO office closest to the issuing university, which in my case it was neither (my documents had to cross the Pacific three times!). If you haven’t even gotten instructions on this, you’re still months away from getting a plane ticket, so no need to worry!

1 Like

Well i mean they told me to send the docs to taiwan, they never mentioenddegree certificates, why would they ask me to send stuff unless they thought I was ready? maybe they’re waiting for me to authenticate my health certificate before getting me to do the degree stuff?

apparently they don’t think you’re ready enough to move on with the work permit, if they haven’t mentioned the degree authentication (haven’t we covered this on another thread?).

they’ll probably make that decision after they get the other things. have you sent those other things yet? if not, definitely months away from worrying about a plane ticket; the whole island could be vaccinated by the time you’re ready to come here!

I mean you say months but they quoted 26th July to me? Is that what you mean by months. They even said I could probably come 18th July

tomorrow is may 18th here, to june 18th is one month, to july 18th is 2 months

but what i meant was 2 months minimum. i’m quite sure the degree authentication by local TECO office is required for the work permit, which is required for the visa

i was originally quoted by my employer about 4 months less than the time it actually took to arrive

Nobody knows for sure. It depends on how long the ban on non-residents lasts. At the moment it’s until June 18th.

It’s odd, i just called the taipei representative office in london and they said that if you get a Taiwan residency visa then you can go?? They seemed confident that I am still alright to continue

They said the visa process has not been frozen and that three types of people can enter Taiwan:

Citizens,
ARC/APRC holders
Residency visa holders (can still apply)

yes, yes we have

and then chewy confirmed it

so, if they haven’t even brought up the work permit process, i don’t think you need to worry about the plane ticket

well, to get that visa you need a work permit, and to get that you need your documents authenticated.

also, the entry rules have just changed within hours, so they might not know. when i called the TECO that issued my visa they weren’t even sure what documents I needed.

anyways, i’ll bet you a beer you won’t have all the documents to buy a plane ticket by july 18th.