Signing in as a guest

I see that there have been a few people signing in as guests. How do they do that? I think it would be a good thing even for members to do the same because of the following reasons:

1. Some members’ real identity are known by other members.

2. To avoid embarrassment. Seeing that your real identity is known, it isn’t likely that you will share something intimate freely with other posters and still want to meet then at the next get-together.

3. To avoid harassment. Also because of people knowing your identity, you might not feel free to air your views on something controversial.

What do you say?

I think it’s a bad idea for those three reasons you mentioned.

Knowing who everyone is has some effect on people posting completely stupid things and generally making arses of themselves. Embarassment can be a good thing.

Guest posting was recently allowed in the Health and Legal Forums so that people could post about such topics as genital warts or fights with their employers, without having to compromoise themselves. Well all it ended up achieving ws havign some tit posting 5 times aday “I agree with you” to three-year old threads. :loco: I think the guest posting ability got turned off.

Brian

What about their IP addresses? They can be identified by the moderators, not so? i think the majority of postes wouldn’t abuse the system.

Apparently not.

If the signing in as a guest is not an option, creating a “dirty character” (a charater you use for every topic you do not desire to be associated with)for yourself will no doubt be the next step. If you look at the health forum, how many people have only signed in once or twice. Think on this.

Aubrey -
My goodness whatever are you up to…?

The paranoia is almost tangible in your posts.

And I believe “smerfing” or “creating a “dirty character” (a charater you use for every topic you do not desire to be associated with)for yourself” is a no-no here.

Just be nice and have no worries.

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]And I believe “smerfing” or “creating a “dirty character” (a charater you use for every topic you do not desire to be associated with)for yourself” is a no-no here.[/quote]The relevant line from the rules; “Each member is permitted one forum account. If you have reason to require more than one account please check with Admin.”

Admin. being Maoman and Goose Egg.

The health forum ran as a guest friendly forum for some time. It ended up with posts from guest “I agree with your words” and posters who forgot to log in and then the thread made less sense because they were ‘guest’ unintentionally.

That happened over and over again.

It was not a success as far as experiments go. Good idea, but did not work out.

Apparently not.[/quote]
well, it is possible. Whether that function is set up and being used by the admins on this site is another matter.

The health forum ran as a guest friendly forum for some time. It ended up with posts from guest “I agree with your words” and posters who forgot to log in and then the thread made less sense because they were ‘guest’ unintentionally.

That happened over and over again.

It was not a success as far as experiments go. Good idea, but did not work out.[/quote]

Not being a mod myself, I am not sure how difficult it is to delete such rogue posts, but I can’t imagine it being too much of a drama. IMHO, the positives outweigh the negatives of guest posting in certain forums.

The other option however, is to allow only members to make posts, but when they do they can choose to ‘hide’ their identity from public view in certain forums.

Maybe. You would be suprised how often members made posts without logging in. They had no idea and felt stupid half the time.

Regarding ‘hide’. What if the software glitched and you were unhid. A reload update and all :blush: :blush: :blush: is out there for everyone to see.

Maybe. You would be suprised how often members made posts without logging in. They had no idea and felt stupid half the time.

Regarding ‘hide’. What if the software glitched and you were unhid. A reload update and all :blush: :blush: :blush: is out there for everyone to see.[/quote]
Good point and that would depend on how it was set up. Well, another option could be that guest posting is only allowed from a screen that you have to be logged in to get to. like a “post as a guest” box/tab/screen.

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]Aubrey -

And I believe “smerfing” or “creating a “dirty character” (a charater you use for every topic you do not desire to be associated with)for yourself” is a no-no here.

Just be nice and have no worries.[/quote]

I don’t deny being paranoid. Is it such a bad thing? :s

[quote=“aubrey”][quote=“TainanCowboy”]Aubrey -

Just be nice and have no worries.[/quote]

I don’t deny being paranoid. Is it such a bad thing? :s[/quote]

Sorry TC but that’s the kind of honest spill I like. No Aubrey, it’s not that bad of a thing. Still laughing… :bravo:

bobepine