Signing two contracts per year?

Did you compare the two contracts?
If there is not any change to make it worse for you in the new one, it may be OK.

2 Likes

I have not received them yet. They just gave me a job offer and explained the process. In the process description, they indicated they would send me two contracts. One shorter one that will be sent to the MOE for my work permit and another longer one that will outline my employment conditions.

I am abroad now, so this will be an overseas hire.

I am just trying to do my due diligence now to see if this is common practice. It seems fishy to me since I have never signed 2 contracts for a job before.

I forgot to reply directly to you. See the reply above.

Short answer: buxiban teachers are subject to the Labor Standards Act, but ā€œschoolsā€ are not buxibans; some but not all private school teachers are subject to the LSA.

1 Like

The ę°‘ę³• is usually called the Civil Code in English.

Also, the ā€œLabor Bureauā€ is usually a Department rather than a Bureau, unless weā€™re talking about the Ministry of Labor.

Fine. My wife provides me with the terminology as I donā€™t know any Chinese, so yes, anyone reading this, donā€™t take my descriptions as being strictly accurate.

1 Like

Thank you for the info.

1 Like

One thing here I should add. You do not have too much reason to concern yourself with this 2-contract issue if you plan to work for a year and then move school/go home, etc. My case is of having worked 7 years at one school, acquired an APRC, married a Taiwanese, and then having been terminated without any notice and without severance pay. It is those facts which bear upon the issue. Donā€™t be put off coming to Taiwan and donā€™t think every school is unscrupulous!

1 Like

Thank you for the advice.

I agree with you, I am not under the impression that all employers in Taiwan or anywhere else are necessarily unscrupulous. I have just lived and worked in many countries and never come across a situation like this before. Therefore, I am being cautious and doing my due diligence as much as possible. Its even more important during these very uncertain times.

1 Like

You are married to a Taiwanese person? Are you getting a pension? They changed the rules a few years ago so that foreign spouses should also get it. Or did they get out of this by saying you are not a regular employee?

1 Like

You are correct. I have claimed for this. First, the boss argued I did not inform them I had married a Taiwanese, even though I had photos of them at my wedding banquet! Then they argued that I asked them not to register me for a pension, though they have no proof of this. I believe I am certain to get this money.

Please keep us updated. I should be getting the pension too but Iā€™ve been a coward about confronting my boss. I keep putting it off.

1 Like

Will do. I think itā€™s hardly cowardice, given the lack of protection for those foreign teachers who try to claim the benefits the Taiwan government has, to their credit, said we are entitled to. What I have found is that these benefits are not viewed in a token way by officialdom, they are very supportive of making reports and they act on them promptly. But the reality is that employers refuse to view people like us as anything but disposable labor rather than as full members of Taiwanese society. The easiest way to get what one is owed is still far from easy: filing reports/lawsuit after one has left the job, as in my case.

1 Like