Silence After Question

I’ve had three girlfriends here who have all done the same thing: you ask a question, and they don’t answer. You wait; no answer. You ask if they don’t want to answer; no answer.

I’m talking simple questions here: Do you need a ride? Would like tea or coffee? Do you need some help with that?

I’m usually told, after letting them know how rude it is, that they are still thinking of an answer. I’m now realising this may be a cultural thing (or something I’m doing! :astonished: ).

I’ve asked them to give me a clue that they’re thinking and not just ignoring me, such as a ‘Hmm …’ or a ‘Let me see’, or an ‘I’m not sure’, or a ‘Let me think about that’, but all to no avail.

Should I let it go, and accept it as a cultural norm, or should I be encouraging my SO to be more polite?

Hoping for some answers from you guys … and soon. :wink:

Well? I’m waiting! :fume:

They are ignoring you…jesus…do you need a playbook?

Are you gonna answer me or not?!

er…

Encourage her to be more polite.
Are they younger than 30 YO?

My boyfriend does this too. It makes me throw tantrums.

rap on his skull and say loudly “Yo ren dzai jia ma?”

Stray dog, pall, share the club.

yesterday 7 Am in the car:
Me: Did you sleep well?
She :…
Me… Euh? thinking

me: Do you have many things to do today?
she: …

Me euh ??? (what am I doing wrong)

Me: Gosh, traffic is fluent today no?
She: … and starting to stare out of the window…

Me: mmmm???/ euh??? damn ??? inside ranting

7.30 Am back home?

me: Are you OK?
she: … WELL, I do not ask you if the eggs have bone inside , or if today the weather will be fine, or if you will be busy at work. those questions are so booooring .
ME: OH! … all i wanted is to open a friendly conversation…

Guess this is typical female behavior, the reason behind? donoknow…

(but when she had 1 scotch too much, BEWARE, I need to put a cork in her mouth…

I thought you said something else then! Either way, it sounds like a good idea.

Perhaps you should make it simple. Wagging her tail from left to right means yes, and right to left means no.

Erhm, Thais do that no answering thing too. Umm, not the tail wagging, though they can.

HG

[quote=“igorveni”]Encourage her to be more polite.
Are they younger than 30 YO?[/quote]

Yes, but the current one is exactly 30. Why’s that?

Really?? She’s older than me??? I thought she was younger than me.

No offense SD, but maybe she can’t think outside of the box? Or is afraid her answer to a mundane question might be “wrong” in some way.

Can we just post in the happy thread? :slight_smile:

[quote=“Stray Dog”]I’ve had three girlfriends here who have all done the same thing: you ask a question, and they don’t answer. You wait; no answer. You ask if they don’t want to answer; no answer.

I’m talking simple questions here: Do you need a ride? Would like tea or coffee? Do you need some help with that?

I’m usually told, after letting them know how rude it is, that they are still thinking of an answer. I’m now realising this may be a cultural thing (or something I’m doing! :astonished: ).

I’ve asked them to give me a clue that they’re thinking and not just ignoring me, such as a ‘Hmm …’ or a ‘Let me see’, or an ‘I’m not sure’, or a ‘Let me think about that’, but all to no avail.

Should I let it go, and accept it as a cultural norm, or should I be encouraging my SO to be more polite?

Hoping for some answers from you guys … and soon. :wink:[/quote]
Jesus H Christ on a sidecar, Stray Dog. You’re being tolerated by that angel and yet STILL you complain? Just count your blessings and think yourself lucky she doesn’t have the sense to hook up with a REAL man.

No offense taken at all, you racist, sexist bastard! :wink:

But, seriously, what you said would fit my first two girlfriends, but the latest has opinions on most things and is able to express them well, and is pretty Westernized in her thinking compared to most Taiwanese women that I’ve met. She lived in England for a while. She isn’t usually afraid that her opinion may be wrong, but I guess that could be playing a small part.

[quote=“sandman”][quote=“Stray Dog”]I’ve had three girlfriends here who have all done the same thing: you ask a question, and they don’t answer. You wait; no answer. You ask if they don’t want to answer; no answer.

Hoping for some answers from you guys … and soon. :wink:[/quote]
Jesus H Christ on a sidecar, Stray Dog. You’re being tolerated by that angel and yet STILL you complain? Just count your blessings and think yourself lucky she doesn’t have the sense to hook up with a REAL man.[/quote]

I don’t know what to say to that! :cry:

SuchaFob wrote:

Mine too. Mostly when she’s angry.

Taiwanese women don’t yell and scream, they silently sharpen the knife…

[quote=“beautifulspam”]SuchaFob wrote:

Mine too. Mostly when she’s angry.

Taiwanese women don’t yell and scream, they silently sharpen the knife…[/quote]

You see, I don’t see her doing it to her friends or anyone else I see her with.

So, is it a moody thing, then? Should I be beating her more to bring her out of it? :smiling_imp:

[quote]You see, I don’t see her doing it to her friends or anyone else I see her with.

So, is it a moody thing, then? Should I be beating her more to bring her out of it? [/quote]

Heavens no!*

She is trying to reach you, don’t you see? By ignoring you she will condition a mood of constant anxiety and uncertainty about her true feelings and intentions, which in time will develop into a habit of attending at every moment to her rapidly shifting and complex moods, facial expressions, body language, fits of gas, unspoken wishes, and psychic aura, gradually training your crude craveman’s hindbrain to a near telepathic sensitivity to the delicate soul locked within the girl’s heart.

*yes.