Silly question about dog pee

OK, this is serious. I know it is silly but here it goes:

I take Toto to the groomer every week. Everytime he goes back, he’s dirty and stinky. He gets normal dirty from sidewalks, grass, etc… But the stinly is because when he pees, he wets his front paws and arms, his clothes, etc. Like, as soon as he gets back from teh groomer, he pees and the puddle reaches his front paws and he stays in it until he is done. I have some wet tissues to clean him but usually it does not take the whole thing out. I wash his paws in summer but in winter I don’t as I am afraid it would be too cold/take a long time to dry. I see other Maltese doggies all white and fluffy. I wonder how they do it.

So, is this normal or is it because he’s old and can’t aim? I’m asking you guys before I go to the vet with my usual silly question. Yes, he drinks a lot of water, and no, he’s got no kidney problems so far -knock on wood.

Battery9 has trained her dogs to pee on the drain. I have one dog that has always preferred (usually) to pee over the storm drain grates, and lately my other dog is also doing it (sometimes). Might be worth trying to train Toto to pee on a non-splatter surface, such as a drain or grass, if possible.

My female dog pees like a boy, lifting her leg up and balancing on TWO legs (!) and my male dog pees like a girl, crouching his butt down low to the ground and almost touching his parts to the ground/grate. I think it is something to do with confidence, and although the male is light years better than when SPCA first picked him up, he still has a ways to go.

I think maltese are generally kind of dirty, although I have seen the odd white one (probably right after they got out of the parlour). Dunno. Tough to have curly white fur in this environment.

It is not the splatter, it is either the puddle or the aim of the water…

He usually pees in grass or soil, it is not the splatter what soils him, it is the water chute.

… would it be off-colour to refer you to the thread where they cut baby boys parts?
(yeah, prolly)

[quote=“kage”]… would it be off-colour to refer you to the thread where they cut baby boys parts?
(yeah, prolly)[/quote]

:astonished:

It’s because he smells all wrong when he has to go to the groomer, and he just wants to smell normal again.

Does he do it all the time or just after grooming? If it’s just after he’s washed then I think urodacus is correct. Dogs have a natural smell that is a fundamental part of their identity in doggy society. Washing him, especially with something that smells ‘nice’, removes his identity and is effectively psychological torture. Your dog would probably abstain from urinating on himself if he had something dead to roll around in. :laughing:

My friend washes his dog all the time - after each wash, without fail, it will roll in horse shit at the very first opportunity. So he washes it again . . .

I told him to lay off the shampoo but he never listens. The battle of wills continues.

His clothes? He’s a dog.

His clothes? He’s a dog.[/quote]

…who is very sensitive to cold -he’s really old- and hence usually wears a vest, a T-shirt or a sweater -even a raincoat- depending on the weather.

[quote=“Thelonlieste”]Does he do it all the time or just after grooming? If it’s just after he’s washed then I think urodacus is correct. Dogs have a natural smell that is a fundamental part of their identity in doggy society. Washing him, especially with something that smells ‘nice’, removes his identity and is effectively psychological torture. Your dog would probably abstain from urinating on himself if he had something dead to roll around in. :laughing:

My friend washes his dog all the time - after each wash, without fail, it will roll in horse shit at the very first opportunity. So he washes it again . . .

I told him to lay off the shampoo but he never listens. The battle of wills continues.[/quote]

All the time. It’s the aim that’s off…

Then I guess it would be all over, but basically, it is just that he keeps standing in the puddle/sprinkles it over himself/does not control his aim…

He may be too old to aim, or just too old to care, or both. Maybe it’s just age; much like a human in his ninetys might get a bit “off” in the same ways.

Yep, and just for complaining, now he’s sick. He’s throwing up, but alert -still barking at the cats.

Poor Toto. I see the young ones my neighbors have, all bouncy and friendly. Toto “marches” like a horse, head down, as he cannot see. Maybe that is what interferes with his aim.

:thumbsup: You really are wonderful, Icon. What a difference you have made in Toto’s life.
Remember when you saw that dirty little furball wandering in traffic? You’ve done so much for him! Yay, you! :bravo:

Poor Toto. Now he’s showing incontinence. He pees his bed when he’s asleep, quite a bit. He also pees the sofa or the rug when he naps, but not too much, just a bit, usually.

Guess I’ll have to get some diapers for him.

sigh

[quote=“Icon”][quote=“Thelonlieste”]Does he do it all the time or just after grooming? If it’s just after he’s washed then I think urodacus is correct. Dogs have a natural smell that is a fundamental part of their identity in doggy society. Washing him, especially with something that smells ‘nice’, removes his identity and is effectively psychological torture. Your dog would probably abstain from urinating on himself if he had something dead to roll around in. :laughing:

I told him to lay off the shampoo but he never listens. The battle of wills continues.[/quote]

All the time. It’s the aim that’s off…[/quote]

I admit I know nothing about dogs, but with people this is sometimes to do with an oversized foreskin. Is it possible that this could be the case, and if so can dogs also have theirs corrected?

Given the dog’s age and other problems, this is a case where I would ask the vet.