Simple ARC Questions

Bascially, when applying for an ARC is it necessary to hand over my passport to my employer? I’d like to avoid this if possible, as I’ve had some bad experiences in the past. Also, how long does it usually take to get an ARC processed?

Many thanks.

PS: I’m sure this info has been posted before, but searching for “ARC” brings up too many results. If anyone can post a link to ARC application that’d be great.

[quote=“Diablo”]Bascially, when applying for an ARC is it necessary to hand over my passport to my employer? I’d like to avoid this if possible, as I’ve had some bad experiences in the past. Also, how long does it usually take to get an ARC processed?

Many thanks.

PS: I’m sure this info has been posted before, but searching for “ARC” brings up too many results. If anyone can post a link to ARC application that’d be great.[/quote]

Diablo, unless you do the processing yourself, then yes you will have to hand the passport over.

Ask yourself this: Is it a good idea to start off a new relationship with your employer by intimating that you don’t trust him? Why not wait a couple of months before you know you can’t trust him. :wink:

But:

To answer your question, yes it is neccessary if they are doing the legwork for you. Your employers will need to take your passport to the MOFA and then to the FAP.

If you are going to do it yourself, then all they need are signed photocopies of each page.

Cheers for that. Simple answers to simple questions.

BTW, any experiences of bosses withholding passports or am I overly suspicious?

[quote=“Diablo”]Cheers for that. Simple answers to simple questions.

BTW, any experiences of bosses withholding passports or am I overly suspicious?[/quote]

If you look through these forums you will find tales of peoples passports being withheld, but relatively few and far between, i have never experienced anything myself.

But short of doing everything yourself you have no choice.

It is illegal for an employer to withhold an employee’s passport. If they don’t give it back after processing your work permit, you can report them to CLA. While it is not common with western foreign workers, it is still fairly common for employers or brokers of maids and laborers to withhold a passport.

The Foreign Affairs Police will also intervene on your behalf if you report that an unscrupulous employer is withholding your passport. It is illegal.