Singapore or HK: best place to buy Chinese language books

Hey guys

I did Level 1: Chinese Language COurse at Jong Yang Uni (JongLi) earlier this year and am now obsessed by speaking Chinese but don’t have time for further study here. I will go home in next couple of months and want to pick up some books for home-study before returning home (books will be expensive in Oz).

I will be in Singapore and HK in coming months so wondering where would be best (and cheapest) place to pick up some Chinese language books. I am presuming HK as they are now required to study CHinese but I hear that Singapore has very cheap English acquisition books, so wondering if same would be true of Chinese instruction books.

Any opinions gratefully received.

HK is not cheap for books. Dunno about Singapore. If you can hop on a train to cross the border into guangdong. Buy books there. super cheap.

Thanks for advice about going into China but I was wanting books written for the ENglish-speaker and Pinyin is also a must. Thanks for your advice and reply anyways. Mighty kind of ya…

I have a bunch I bought in HK, China and Taiwan that I would be willing to part with at a low price. Are you in Taipei? You could swing by and have a look. You could ship them home by seamail before leaving. PM me if interested.

Basic and intermediate language books in China will have Pinyin. In a big city like Guangzhou you’ll be able to find shops selling textbooks designed for English speakers, featuring Pinyin - no problem!

Basic and intermediate language books in China will have Pinyin. In a big city like Guangzhou you’ll be able to find shops selling textbooks designed for English speakers, featuring Pinyin - no problem![/quote]

Pinyin text books shouldnt be a problem in HK or Singapore, though you may be more likley limited to simplified in Singapore.
Books in HK are probably marginally cheaper than in Oz, I imagine the same goes in Singapore.

HG

Basic and intermediate language books in China will have Pinyin. In a big city like Guangzhou you’ll be able to find shops selling textbooks designed for English speakers, featuring Pinyin - no problem![/quote]

Pinyin text books shouldnt be a problem in HK or Singapore, though you may be more likley limited to simplified in Singapore.
Books in HK are probably marginally cheaper than in Oz, I imagine the same goes in Singapore.

HG[/quote]

If you goto the large bookstores (e.g. some university press books or foreign language bookstores), they will have sections catered to English/foreign speakers. Pinyin is definitely more readily available in PRC than in HK.