Single or Multiple entry visa - Whats the difference besides

With single does it mean u can only stay 2 months then have to go back to your own country before applying for another?

I am just applying for visitor visa whats best way to get one so i can renew it every 2 months?

[quote=“Barneyman”]With single does it mean u can only stay 2 months then have to go back to your own country before applying for another?

I am just applying for visitor visa whats best way to get one so i can renew it every 2 months?[/quote]

As far as eYe know having a single entry visa means when your time is up and you have to leave the country you have apply for another visa when you come back. A multiple entry visa lets you come back in without applying again.

I believe both a single and multiple entry visa will allow you to stay for up to 180 days, as long as you don’t have a stamp on your visa sayin “no exetentions” or something like that.


a multiple entry biz visa will be for max 30 days, so before 30 days are up you need to do a visa run.
Also multiple entry visa stay cannot be extended by the local police station, you have to go out and come back.
If your visa is 60 days + ( single entry ) then you can get it extended at the local police station, it is a painless but you need some valid reason to get it extended.

i have a multiple entry, 60 day visa good for 5 years. that means every 60 days i have to leave and come back, but i can keep doing this for 5 years if i want(and if my bank account holds up).

for example, this means i can:

live in taiwan for 60 days
leave for hk, japan, whatever(don’t even have to leave the airport, just need the stamp)
come back in and live for another 60 days
rinse, repeat

never in that cycle do i have to visit a visa office or file any paperwork.

i’ll probably get an arc soon cuz leaving the country every 60 days is getting really expensive…

I got my visa, 60 Day Single Entry with the words no extension will be granted smaped on it.

Does this mean I cannot go to a police station to get it extended and I have to go to HK to get a new visa? Also is it easy to get another visa in HK cos the Taiwanese Embassy here in London did not have a clue

[quote=“Barneyman”]I got my visa, 60 Day Single Entry with the words no extension will be granted stamped on it.

Does this mean I cannot …get it extended? [/quote]

Duh. :unamused:

what some guys told me that getting a Taiwan visa in HK these days is difficult, HK guys ask for HK id.
Remember HK is part of mainland now, so the rules to come to taiwan are getting tougher for every body.

People are making it sound like a multiple entry visa can NOT get extended. I thought they could and this is the kind of visa I have.

Scared that I would have to leave this wonderful place in 2 months I asked (and showed them my visa) a close friend of mine that works at the police station (in the office where they extend visas) if this was true. They told me that BOTH a single and multiple entry visa can be extended as long as it doesn’t have that stamp on it.

Has anyone been denied extention of a multiple entry visa? Maybe my friend can just do something for me (I doubt it though).


I’m sure that a Multiple Entry visa can be extended because I had a Multiple Entry visa, and I got it extended twice.

The only exception is if the visa says “No extensions will be granted”. But I think that stamp is only used with Single Entry visas.

By the way, each time I extended it, the expiration date was exactly 60 days later than the original expiration date, so you don’t have to wait until the very last day to extend it because the extension is not 60 days from the time you extend it. It’s for 60 days after the original expiration date.

And you can only extend it twice. So after a total of six months, you definitely have to leave the country.

Also, the “valid until” date only applies to the date when you first arrive in Taiwan. It has nothing to do with the expiration date of the visa. For example, Single Entry visas usually have a “valid until” date which is three months later than the “issue date”. But this just means that you have to arrive in Taiwan within three months of when the visa was issued. Then you can stay in Taiwan for up to six months from the time you arrive (assuming that you have a good reason to extend your visa).

But don’t plan on going to the Foreign Affairs Police and saying “I want to extend my visa because I need more time to go sight-seeing.” The Foreign Affairs Police don’t accept that reason. In fact, there’s only a few reasons that are acceptible:

  1. You are attending a Chinese Language School, and the school has already applied for your ARC, but you still don’t have your ARC yet.
  2. You have a job with a one-year contract, and your boss has already applied for your ARC, but you still don’t have your ARC yet.
  3. You have a job, but your contract is for less than one year, so you can’t get an ARC.
  4. You are a missionary, and you have already applied for your ARC, but you still don’t have your ARC yet.
  5. You are already married to a Taiwanese person, but you can’t get your ARC yet because you are still waiting for your Clean Criminal Record Document (“CCRD”).
  6. You are engaged to a Taiwanese person.

For all of these reasons, you have to show papers to prove it. And I’m not sure if #6 still works. It worked for me, but that was in 1996. To prove it, I showed pictures of my engagement party, my fiance’s ID card, and a note written and signed by fiance, stating that we were engaged.


My single entry visa cannot be extended fromt eh stamp they put on it. Where is the best place to go after 2 months to get a new one, I heard people talk about HK, Thailand, Manila.

Also whats the best thing to say I want another visa for to make sure I get one.

Whilst a ‘non-extendable’ 60-day visa, can not be extended (“duh” says Maoman), it is possible to get one changed for an extendable 60-day visa without leaving the country. I had a friend do this by paying in advance for 3 months Chinese classes with CLD, and taking papers from them to MOFA. However, this was 2 years ago. It may or may not be the same now.


My experience is that the whole process sucks, the bureaucracy is stupid and troublesome, Taiwan’s government employees are mindless drones incapable of making exceptions (“no extensions” definitely means no extensions), employers complicate matters with their lies, and if you ever get a work permit you should do everything you can to keep it from lapsing (don’t quit your work permit job and then get another because then you have to redo the whole process; they won’t change the employer’s name on your permit in such circumstances).

I flew to HK five times for new visas before I finally received my first work permit. The problem was caused partly by employers who lied and said they would get a visa when they couldn’t – beware of this common tactic to lure you into working for them. But there were other traps.

People choose HK because it is cheapest airfare and if you take the first flight in the morning and run as fast as you can through the trainstations you can get your visa the same day and fly back that night. For one day service you must arrive at the pseudo embassy before noon (don’t forget to bring your air ticket out of Taiwan to show them or no visa). Or if it’s your first time to HK you may wish to spend the night and check out the sights.

One time I didn’t run fast enough and HK told me my visa wouldn’t be available till the next day, but I had planned to return the same day. So HK told me don’t worry, you can get a 30 day visa at the airport in Taipei. So I flew back and found it’s just a 30 day tourist visa that cannot be converted into a work permit, so I had to fly back to HK for a visitor visa.

I also dislike that one has to lie to comply with the process. Everyone does it. Half the people standing in line at the pseudo embassy teach English in Taiwan, but one is supposed to say I’m a tourist exploring the country. The second time you say I’m still exploring the country. By the fourth or fifth time the line is ludicrous but everyone keeps a straight face and the papers get processed.

Good luck.

So when i go to HK in about 7-8 weeks I say I want another visitor visa because I am still exploring the country?

That’s my understanding; others may feel differently. You’re not supposed to say you have a job and want to get a work permit or renew your visa because that would mean you’re working illegally. So you pretend you’re simply traveling in Taiwan, or visiting a friend, when in fact everyone in line is either working or studying illegally in Taiwan. Don’t know why they make it so difficult for us when native-English speakers who want to teach or edit in Taiwan (or elsewhere in Asia) are such a precious commodity. But who am I to question the wisdom of their ways? :unamused:

red tape at work, if they make life easy for us, then they think it was a wasted effort, and they are not doing ther job :slight_smile:

the problem is the people we interact with really don’t have the power to make a exception, so instead of taking the case to there boss or boss’s boss … they take the easy way out, much like us :slight_smile: