Sinus problem - where to go?

I have had trouble with my sinuses ever since moving to Taiwan over 2 years ago. I’ve been to see doctors here, but they just prescribe me with the usual dose of anti-biotics (for 3 days) I get a little improvement and then just get worse again.

I’ve also been to the xin guang hospital but they weren’t really that useful - he told me that it was caused by allergic reaction and that I should avoid dusty or humid environments (in taiwan?!).

Anybody have a doctor or hospital they would reccomend or a treatment that I could get by myself?

Have you asked an allergist or ENT about the newer antihistimines, such as Claritin/Alavert (loratadine), Zyrtec (cetirizine HCl), Allegra (fexofenadine HCl), or Clarinex (desloratadine)? I’m not sure of the brand names or availability in Taiwan, but a pharmacist should be able to look up the generic name (in parentheses above). In the US, loratadine is available without presecription.

Good luck!

How do you know you have a sinus problem? What are your symptoms? Lots of ppl think they have “sinus” problems, yet they either have a cold or allergies. The latter are correlated to sinus problems, and you can have one or both or all three. Often a sinus infection is preceded by a viral infection like the common cold. You’ll have cold symptoms that will begin to resolve in a week, and then you’ll take a turn for the worse and be much sicker. Allergies cause inflammation in the nasal passage which in turn can obstruct sinus drainage. When sinuses don’t breathe and drain, mucus backs up and is an excellent medium for bacterial growth. The bacteria migrate from the unsterile nasal passages to the otherwise sterile sinuses and cause infection, inflammation and a viscious (msp?) cycle ensues.

bodo

I see this has been discussed before.

I have the same symptoms as the OP. Basically before TW I never had any issues with my nasal passages unless I had a cold or flu. Usually in those cases after a week or so the shit could be all cleared out and everything was back to normal.

But in the time I have been in Taiwan I find I seem to have constant Sinus issues in the form of them never really getting clear.

I have about 1 cold a year, and until now don’t believe I have any hayfever type of problems.

I have been to the ENT guys a few times but as the OP mentioned, they treat it as if I have a cold, and give me a few days worth of drugs to clear it, and then it returns.

Usually it is worse in the mornings when I wake up. Sometimes people ask me if I have a cold due to the nasal type of sound my voice seems to have aquired lately (think “Bono” type of nasal sound).

Now that I am pretty active in scuba diving, this whole Sinus thing bothers me more than it used to. The salt water helps actually but I even so, I am getting pretty sick of blowing shit out of my nose every day for the last couple of years.

Anyone else?

[quote]The salt water helps actually but I even so, I am getting pretty sick of blowing shit out of my nose every day for the last couple of years.

Anyone else?[/quote]
Yeah, me. I wish you’d use a goddamned hanky or something. That last one went right into my fish and chips.

Do you smoke? If so, that’s the likely culprit. I just quit 2 months ago and finally have some relief for my sinuses.

[quote=“Bodo”]Often a sinus infection is preceded by a viral infection like the common cold. You’ll have cold symptoms that will begin to resolve in a week, and then you’ll take a turn for the worse and be much sicker.
bodo[/quote]

My gawd, you’ve just described what I’ve been going through. Bronchitis lasting a week, then a gradual return to health, then a turn for the worse. I finally went to the doc and got a 10-day course of antibiotics (I’m in Canada now). I’m tired of suffering.

Yeah me too…my nose is always stuffed and constantly sneezing. Lots of snot. Who’s got a solution?

Goodness, I thought I was the only one. Has anyone found a solution to their sinus problems yet? Having moved here for 3 years already, I’m honestly sick and tired of waking up sneezing every day… which is then usually followed by something like 10 sneezes in a row while hugging my best friend (the tissue box). I’m sometimes amazed at how much crap my nose is capable of producing in a day.

Help!

[quote=“colorwalk”]Goodness, I thought I was the only one. Has anyone found a solution to their sinus problems yet? Having moved here for 3 years already, I’m honestly sick and tired of waking up sneezing every day… which is then usually followed by something like 10 sneezes in a row while hugging my best friend (the tissue box). I’m sometimes amazed at how much crap my nose is capable of producing in a day.

Help![/quote]
Yep, I found a solution. Good Antibiotics.

Normally, cold/flu/sinus problems seem to sort themselves out. But in Taiwan, we have high humidity, lots of aircon and air cleanliness issues, so it’s pretty easy for the gremlins to settle in for good.

I had to go to 2 different doctors to get a doc who took it seriously enough to give me ‘good’ antibiotics, which I had to pay a bit more for, but was well worth it, and solved the problem in under a week.

May I ask where you went and which doctor you saw? Or even which “good” antibiotics you took so that I can at least bring it up to the doctor and see what he/she says…

Glad you got your sinus problem sorted out! I hope I’ll get mine sorted out soon…

May I ask where you went and which doctor you saw? Or even which “good” antibiotics you took so that I can at least bring it up to the doctor and see what he/she says…

Glad you got your sinus problem sorted out! I hope I’ll get mine sorted out soon…[/quote]
I live out in Taoyuan, so I’m probably not going to be much help. I don’t think I kept the drug info either as it’s in the computer at the docs if I ever need it.

You’d probably do just as well to try a clinic near where you live, but just insist you need some decent Antibiotics. Often the Docs will assume you want the ‘free’ stuff so wont offer you the better stuff unless you insist and pay the extra. My experience anyway.

Thanks for the advice, Truant. I take it you’re completely cured? Meaning the problem hasn’t made a return? That’s the thing with me… I’ve been to the doctors twice in the past. Once, they kept insisting it was a cold- which I knew it was not. The second time, the doctor gave me some meds which helped a bit for a while but didn’t stick. In the end, I just let the problem be and hope it’d eventually go away on its own. Hasn’t happened yet of course.

I’ll try again then, knowing that someone at least got antibiotics that helped.

[quote=“colorwalk”]Thanks for the advice, Truant. I take it you’re completely cured? Meaning the problem hasn’t made a return? That’s the thing with me… I’ve been to the doctors twice in the past. Once, they kept insisting it was a cold- which I knew it was not. The second time, the doctor gave me some meds which helped a bit for a while but didn’t stick. In the end, I just let the problem be and hope it’d eventually go away on its own. Hasn’t happened yet of course.

I’ll try again then, knowing that someone at least got antibiotics that helped.[/quote]

Yeah I have been clear for maybe 3 months now, after perhaps 4- 5 months of putting up with it clearing “any day now”.
I went to the docs and they’d give me general cold/flu meds, but I really think that westerners don’t have the same immunity to the air here so Antibiotics are a must.