Sixteen hours without a work permit?

I know a person who’s going to the same language centre as me, and he’s looking for an ESL job to help cover his expenses. The university’s web page says it’s only legal to work if you have extenuating circumstances, or have studied for a year and the school needs your help, at which point they will sponsor your application for a work visa. He says that his friend, who is teaching in Taipei, told him that he can teach for up to sixteen hours per week without a permit of any kind on a student visa (no ARC). This seems to go against what the university web page said, but the registrar referred him to a buxiban when he signed up at the language centre.

Is this true? I will have an ARC in a few weeks – does that make any difference?

Na, that’s not true. If he gets caught, he could be deported. You need a work permit for any work.

Yeah, that’s what I figured. I just found it odd that someone at the language centre referred him to a buxiban, but I hear that only the police take these laws seriously, anyway.

Lots of students work. People turn a blind eye to some extent (the tuition fees for Chinese language school would dry up considerably if they didn’t), but if you get caught, you’ll get kicked out.

What’s the point in “turning a blind eye?”

I’m not sure but as a student on a student ARC you could get a workpermit that allows you to work part-time … just check with the CLA …

Yes, a student with an ARC can get a part time work permit, after studying for a year. If the holy gods of ARC decide to be fair and lenient in this matter. If the student keeps his or her nose clean, gets good grades. etc.

I would suggest to your friend to just grab a couple of privates and make a little supplemental cash that way. (And I’m not supposed to say that)

Well, the take the laws seriously when they are on the clock and have a formal complaint pushing them into action. During off hours they might just send their kids to an illegal school.