Skateboarder to teach my son basics?

My son is five. He got a skateboard about a year ago and has been hassling me about not teaching him to use it. I can’t skateboard. I took him to a skateboarding camp but everyone was at least 10 years older than him and it was a bit daunting for him. Is there anyone here who would could spare a couple of hours next week to teach him some basics? It’d be paid, and we can meet you pretty much anywhere in Taipei city or Taipei county. We’re free all day Monday to Friday.

I’m down in Tainan, unfortunately. Otherwise I’d happily set him up with the basics for free.

Otherwise, can he do anything at all? Can he stand and tack (pick up the front and move it left to right in order to move forward)?

Contact Neil Wade Photography on facebook, he knows quite a few skateboarders and does it himself. You might also see if the Mormon missionaries can teach him on Sundays too, though your son may become a Mormon in the process. :wink:

Okami,

Thanks for the tip, looking him up now.

Bismark,

My son is the kind who won’t just jump on and try and fail till he gets it, he observes and listens until he has it, then gives it a go. And, he knows when you are good or not… So, he has so far managed to stand up and move forward and backwards but that’s about it. He was really good at the workshop but there were just too many people in one space for the little boy, I think. I was given a couple of dvds to watch with him, but we couldn’t play them on our player. He’s been asking a lot recently for someone to teach him, so I’m willing to make the effort for him. If we ever go down to Tainan again, I’ll take you up on your kind offer.

[quote=“asiababy”]Bismark,

My son is the kind who won’t just jump on and try and fail till he gets it, he observes and listens until he has it, then gives it a go. And, he knows when you are good or not… So, he has so far managed to stand up and move forward and backwards but that’s about it. He was really good at the workshop but there were just too many people in one space for the little boy, I think. I was given a couple of dvds to watch with him, but we couldn’t play them on our player. He’s been asking a lot recently for someone to teach him, so I’m willing to make the effort for him. If we ever go down to Tainan again, I’ll take you up on your kind offer.[/quote]
Sure, no worries. There’s a nice park near my house and a skate park in the east district I know of. We could take my son with. Should be good. Let me know if you make it down here sometime. :thumbsup:

I received this pm from skater, which I think was intended for you, Asiababy. Already sent you a pm.

[quote=“skater”]Hello bismarck,

My name is Steven. I am in Taipei right now, and from browsing the internet to find places to ride my skateboard, I noticed your post looking for someone to teach your son to skateboard.

I grew up in California, and have been skateboarding for many years. I graduated from UC Santa Cruz, and I am here for visit/work. You can reach me by email: xxxxxxxxx@hotmail.com.

From there, perhaps you can leave me a phone number where I can contact you to discuss if you would like me to teach your son. I like to skateboard, and its always fun to teach someone the basics.

By the way, do you know where the skatepark is around here?

Best Regards,

Xxxxxx[/quote]
Keep us posted.

I’m also a boarder for over 40years…I don’t get up to Taipei that often, but would be happy to show him the basics.

MJB

Thanks for passing the info to me, Bismark. I will get in touch. After a few days by himself on our deck and a couple of collisions with the barbecue table, he can stand up and ride along a little way. He’s still nagging for instruction from someone who knows what to do. Five years old, wants to skateboard, and be a DJ/dancer with flames behind his turntable… where on earth do they pick these dreams up from? Anyway, I’m not one to put the flames out, will do my best to help him.

lol…seems like quite the interesting little boy. Hope skater can be of help. He certainly seems keen enough.

bismark and anyone else interested,

We had a lesson with skater today, and I was very impressed with him as a teacher and as a young man (I sound like a mother :laughing: ). Skater really is a natural teacher. My son went to bed tonight the happiest I have seen him in a LONG time. He learnt the fundamentals of how to turn, tack, and balance in less than 90 minutes, and talked about it all for over two hours. One happy family here tonight.

[quote=“asiababy”]bismark and anyone else interested,

We had a lesson with skater today, and I was very impressed with him as a teacher and as a young man (I sound like a mother :laughing: ). Skater really is a natural teacher. My son went to bed tonight the happiest I have seen him in a LONG time. He learnt the fundamentals of how to turn, tack, and balance in less than 90 minutes, and talked about it all for over two hours. One happy family here tonight.[/quote]

Awesome…Maybe this will get him even more excited.

That’s fantastic! And a shining example of why I love this community! :slight_smile: :bravo: :thumbsup:

[quote=“asiababy”]bismark and anyone else interested,

We had a lesson with skater today, and I was very impressed with him as a teacher and as a young man (I sound like a mother :laughing: ). Skater really is a natural teacher. My son went to bed tonight the happiest I have seen him in a LONG time. He learnt the fundamentals of how to turn, tack, and balance in less than 90 minutes, and talked about it all for over two hours. One happy family here tonight.[/quote]
Glad to hear it! Two thumbs up Skater. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hi,

I was just writing a reply to your post. If you need help with classes let me know if your other coach/skater is unavailable. I skate 3 times a week in Ximen/San Chong.

It is great to see new skaters in Taipei;)

youtube.com/user/shawn238

shawn238,

I really liked your videos. Skater was asking if there is any good place to skate like the riverside park easy to get to by mrt. Do you know of any places? Thanks for the offer, too. I’ll be in touch.

One of the most popular places is Li-Ba in Ximen (exit 4 in Ximen)
Other places are a little of the line I’m afraid.
The riverside park is a little tricky to get to. I think the closest MRT is Guting.
Nei-Hu are in the process of building a park too.

Feel free to get in touch any time. Unfortunately rain has stopped play for me today :frowning: