Skiing in Japan/Korea

Also, is the hill suitable for advanced skiers? Blue/black at whistler. Or will I be bored?

Can you believe after 3 years on this board I still haven’t learned how to post pictures? I’ll figure it out sometime.

Niseko is small compared to Whistler. The longest gondola took about 10 min. to ride, and the longest run is about 4Ks.

[quote]Legs were so sore after 8 days of straight skiing. [/quote]It was the first time for us to go skiing this season as well. We started a lower-body conditioning program about 3 weeks before the trip (squats, stair climbing, biking etc.) and the soreness was minimal. The end-of-the-day soak in the onsen helped too.

[quote]The only minus was the flight took soooo long[/quote] That’s the biggest plus of Japan. The Aussies looked at us with envy when they heard our flight was just 3 hours long. (You eat a meal, watch a movie and you’re there. Don’t even have to unlace your shoes)

[quote]Next year, I definately will try Japan. Can I tag along Incubus?[/quote] Keep that thought. It’d be good to have a Taiwan contingent, what with all the Aussies and Hong Kong skiers all over the place.

[quote]Also, is the hill suitable for advanced skiers? Blue/black at whistler. Or will I be bored?[/quote] According to the trail map, Niseko is about 30% novice, 40% intermediate and 30% advanced. If you’re a boarder, you’ll appreciate the tabletop and jib areas. There are some slopes with small moguls. (The biggest moguls I’ve seen were at Killington, the size of VW bugs) BTW, what we know as blue (intermediate) is red in Japan, but black diamonds are still black diamonds.

what does your average trip to Whistelr cost in NT… i would like to go when the mountain bike season is in full swing there and just wondered!!

sorry… Whistler :blush:

Usually the summer months in whistler is a lot cheaper.
Tho I booked a hotel in the village for $99 CAN per night. I don’t know what the lift tickets are in the summer but it’s got to be cheaper than in the winter.
Booking early usually saves you some money.
Food there is not cheap though. Have fun at Whistler, it’s just such a great place. The view is just incredible.

Yeah man - and it sounds like MTB heaven as well as ski/snowboard heaven. They have like loads of really cool runs for us bikers :smiling_imp:

Did you see any Kite-boarders?

Can you believe after 3 years on this board I still haven’t learned how to post pictures? I’ll figure it out sometime.[/quote]

Just take your pic location and put and you’re done.

I’ll do this for next year as well. I thought my fitness was enough but suffered in the quads really badly this year in Australia.

This could be fun as well. Being an Aussie will double piss them off with the 3 hour trip.

I was looking to Korea but based on this thread next year will be Japan. Maybe we can all team up if we plan ahead.

Can you believe after 3 years on this board I still haven’t learned how to post pictures? I’ll figure it out sometime.[/quote]

Just take your pic location and put and you’re done.
[/quote]
OK. Here goes.

Bloody fantastic. Way too big but don’t let that trouble you. They look great.

Wow, that’s a fantastic view. I definately have to go next year. Though Whistler also kicked ass.

OK, Mr. Hitty. I showed you mine, now you show me yours. How about some Whistler pix. Start a new thread to avoid being off topic if you want.

Oh I have pics! Problem is, do I have to upload the pictures onto a internet website first in order to make a url link here so it’ll appear on forumosa?

Yes, you do. I learned to post pics from bobpine’s instructions:

[quote=“bobepine”]
To post a picture, you have to host it first. Go to www.photobucket.com and register. It’s free, fast and you can also resize the pics after you upload them. You get three links with your uploaded pics. The bottom link will open the pic when you post it as it already includes the following tabs:

It goes like this . As I said though, photobucket provides you with a link that already has the image tabs so all you need to do is cut and paste to post the pics on a forum. For other photos taken from the net or from hosts such as flickr or yahoo photos, you can type in
[/quote] What I should’ve done was resize the pics. Hence the oversized photos that appeared on the previous page as Ironman pointed out. :blush: Give it a shot.

OK, what would the overall budget be for say 4 days on ski in the place Incubus went to?

Lunch? Beer money? I would think NT$50-60K, do any of you who ahve been there like to tell?

I found dorm style accomodation at Niseko for ~$1000 USD for a month! So if you don’t care about privacy and want Japanese quality skiing at a lower price, it is possible. If anyone is interested i’ll try to track it down.

I’m thinking of going to Bulgaria in Feb. Ah…to be served by Borat.

ok…here it is:
niseko-backpacker.com/accomm … ckages.htm

Backpacker dormitory
30 nights accommodation
28 day Hirafu pass
Airport meet and greet and return transfers
129,100 Yen per person*

If you ask me…thats damn cheap $1300 USD for a month of skiing including lift pass and airport transfer. All you need to worry about is how to pack 30 cans of baked beans and 30 packs of instant noodles into your backpack.

[quote=“Tyc00n”]I found dorm style accomodation at Niseko for ~$1000 USD for a month! So if you don’t care about privacy and want Japanese quality skiing at a lower price, it is possible. If anyone is interested I’ll try to track it down.

I’m thinking of going to Bulgaria in Feb. Ah…to be served by Borat.[/quote]
I know Borat is keen on his double entendres and stuff, but if you watch more of his work, you’ll soon see he’s not really keen on bottom sex, so you might be out of luck.

Off topic:

There are 2 bigger resorts in the Rila mountains(that is Bulgaria). I went to one of them, and the weather could honestly have been better.

It was not cheap, NT$60 for a very small cup of hot chocolate, however they thought that they were the cheapest in the world.

Open fireplaces everywhere, apart from in that communist era monstrosity we stayed in. The breakfast chefs were all hung over, which worried me a bit.

They had 2 areas in our resort, the main drawback was that the area with the big cabin lift had a 15 minute walk with your skis on your back from the end of the slope to the lift. As the upper bits were closed due to wind, we had a long and nice slope down, and then either a walk or a buggy ride back to the lift.

Annoying.

If they got that sorted, I would go back though.

Here you go Tyc00n: goski.com/resorts/bgborovets … ate&bc=RIR

[quote=“Tyc00n”]I found dorm style accomodation at Niseko for ~$1000 USD for a month! So if you don’t care about privacy and want Japanese quality skiing at a lower price, it is possible. If anyone is interested I’ll try to track it down.

I’m thinking of going to Bulgaria in Feb. Ah…to be served by Borat.

ok…here it is:
niseko-backpacker.com/accomm … ckages.htm

Backpacker dormitory
30 nights accommodation
28 day Hirafu pass
Airport meet and greet and return transfers
129,100 Yen per person*

If you ask me…thats damn cheap $1300 USD for a month of skiing including lift pass and airport transfer. All you need to worry about is how to pack 30 cans of baked beans and 30 packs of instant noodles into your backpack.[/quote]

I have seen worse finds. NT$27,000 per person for B&B airport transfer and 6 a days lift pass.

That’s not too expensive for an area which is a few notches above korea.

Curious, would anyone have any recommendations for a family ski trip in Asia? I suspect somewhere like niseko/furano.

Considerations include: travel convenience, we are all complete novices, looking for family atmosphere, not going for the party/nightlife.