Skoda, my experience

[quote=“smellybumlove”]Well its easy to assume I was biased for performance, but when I said its woefully underpowered I meant that the engine config is just not upto the task of carrying a family and dogs.
That kind of car needs TORQUE, now either a bigger engine (2.5 mazda engine perhaps) or a diesel is the right setup for it.

a 2.0 n/a engine is not good enough in a 7 seater!.[/quote]
A 2.0 n/a mill is enough to haul a people-mover, UNLESS you want to have any fun doing it.

This is the problem. A lot of people drive light sedans or coupes with that kind of motor in it for some years, and then suddenly the gf gets pregnant and the parents get old, and then they have five or six people to cart around instead of their (used to be) 45kg gf and armpit dog. Of course they should be slowing down, but they somehow expect to still have the ability to squirt from lane to lane and pass on blind, uphill corners. This is why you see so many Wishes and Mazda5s with coilovers, loud mufflers and body kits… the owner hasn’t yet accepted his new role in life as taxi driver.

Sure, a 2.0 n/a people-mover is a boring, underpowered tank of vehicle, but it does what it was designed to do… move people around. IMO they have enough power to haul the plated load around, they just don’t do it in any kind of exciting fashion. Guess what, the pregnant wife and old folks in the back don’t want ‘exciting’, they want ‘comfortable’. IMO these things go at an acceptable rate on flat ground and it’s only in the mountains where they really show their lack of grunt. IMO, a person who wants a 300hp minivan really needs two vehicles… one for schlepping the family around in, and another for fun.

Anyway, Skoda don’t even make such a vehicle, so if we want to carry on down this side track I will have to splice the discussion into the MPV thread…

Oh yes they do, its called the roomster :wink:
But yeah lets avoid the MPV chat.

Now that you mention it, maybe its a good thing they dont sell that many ‘nippy’ cars here, look at the kind of people who would be driving them… :loco:
Its as if the goverment know the locals ability and does them a favour by restricting their choice.

Anyway, next car is indeed german and in warranty, if skoda decide to pull their finger out of their arse it might well be one of theirs.

[quote=“smellybumlove”]Well its easy to assume I was biased for performance, but when I said its woefully underpowered I meant that the engine config is just not upto the task of carrying a family and dogs.
That kind of car needs TORQUE, now either a bigger engine (2.5 mazda engine perhaps) or a diesel is the right setup for it.

a 2.0 n/a engine is not good enough in a 7 seater!.[/quote]

Dude…you can get the torque and comfort + space in a Legacy Outback 2.5i…

http://www.subaru-sot.com.tw/model_lineup_car.aspx?uid=15

If you’ve got the money, you can get all that you need…power, space, performance and quality…but if you don’t have the bucks, you’ll have to forgo two of these points for price.

I looked at the new scoobies… well i nearly vomited, what are they thinking with that styling?!
Oh and 1.3million for one of their estates is a bit rich if you ask me.
Also the autobox is shite :frowning:

-edit-

i meant 1.5 million… slower to 100 than me teana too, how did they manage that?

[quote=“smellybumlove”]
I meant 1.5 million… slower to 100 than me teana too, how did they manage that?[/quote]
No mate, 1.5m is Legacy GT territory and no way is your Teana going to beat a 265hp turbo boxer to 100.
Sure the 2.5i is not high power, but it has good torque and does not feel slow. Again, if you are looking for a high power German touring wagon you better take your KY down to the dealers.

Sticking with the skoda new, should have an concreate date by next month.
Heres hoping they bring the spec i want, chances are they will.

[quote=“smellybumlove”]
Heres hoping they bring the spec i want, chances are they will.[/quote]
And what is it that you desire, and what are you hoping to pay for it?

The yeti, 1.2tsi petrol or 140/170bhp diesel.
The 1.2 is supposed to be a right laugh, it rockets off to 60kph really quickly and has a little turbo kick in the midrange, remaps to 130bhp+ which aint bad.

I just requested alcantara or leather interior, touch screen stereo (all vw’s have them now), 3 spoke wheel (£90 option in the uk) 17’’ rims and HID lights. Colour either white, green or orange.
Havent even test drove it, but EVO magazine and my brother both rate it so highly… just cant go wrong.

Im an old man now so a small 1.2 doesnt bother me much, anyway 7 speed flappy paddle gearbox and a turbo is probably the perfect combo for the intown traffic gp!.

Oh goodness! Here we go again! :wink: :laughing:

You know, you could always get a…

http://storage0.dms.mpinteractiv.ro/media/2/41/1867/3728638/1/conquest-knight-xv-hummer-001.jpg

Now that’s not pussy footing around! :laughing: :unamused:
Although, they have done most of the modifications for you. You may not be too happy with that. In fact, having said that I would say that its alloys are its obvious point of weakness. You could probably uprate those narrow spoke with some tungsten carbide solid rims to solve the problem. And then chip it to a quadrillion horse power! That could be just enough to get it off the porch.

Sorry, I’m WAY off topic and drunk at the same time as posting, which is always bad thing.

Erm… Skoda doesn’t make one if these do they by any chance?

The yeti is comparable to a canadian truck that can withstand gunfire for 24 hours…

Reason im going for the yeti is not for the faux 4x4 looks, but its useful seats and class leading drive, that and the potential for super cheap fuel tax (the 3.5 tax hit me hard this year!).

[quote=“smellybumlove”]The yeti is comparable to a Canadian truck that can withstand gunfire for 24 hours…

Reason im going for the yeti is not for the faux 4x4 looks, but its useful seats and class leading drive, that and the potential for super cheap fuel tax (the 3.5 tax hit me hard this year!).
[/quote]

So the cheaper fuel tax on the brand new car is a money saver, and it looks better than a Subaru Estate. Its better offroad than a CRV and the larger diesel engine is quicker in a straight line than a smaller engined Mazda 5. I think I’ve got it. Its no wonder its best in its class. It has one all to itself!

Great ingenuity. I’m not sure about all practicality though? Looks a bit loppy to me. I know it has the clever seats which can be extracted from the vehicle. Is it going to be a winner? I reckon it will do Skoda Taiwan some favour as it will no doubt draw attention to the brand if they import it due to its augmented looks. I’m sure it would do well in terms that it would fit those with a desire to drive in something different looking. I’m not convinced that its any good though. Taiwanese don’t need 4x4s. They have proved that with their huge demand for two wheel drive SUVs. Do they need cars that won’t fit into rotisserie car parks or the like? Obviously not. Do they need clever diesel engines which save fuel, but cost a fortune to purchase? I don’t think so.
I think that it will sell well to people who fancy turning up to the A.C. in something a wee bit odd looking. Almost nobody is going to buy it because it goes faster than a Mazda 5 though, or because it may travel over some small stones, or because it has removable rear seats. It will be interesting never the less to see if it makes market and then see how well it does.
More choice is always a good thing, so I sort of want it to do well. I seriously wanted the Luxgen to do well though, and it has done…and its pretty crap. It does sell though and this proves that people want a cheap, yet very frustrating, Taiwanese made six person carrier.
Skoda needs more than one selling point with this one, and I think its selling point to Taiwan is just its looks, which I know some will like, even though I find it a cross between the backside of a Land Rover and the Front side of a Subaru Forester with some extra spot lamps fitted.

Its an oddball. That’s for certain!

[quote=“sulavaca”][quote=“smellybumlove”]The yeti is comparable to a Canadian truck that can withstand gunfire for 24 hours…

[/quote]

So the cheaper fuel tax on the brand new car is a money saver, and it looks better than a Subaru Estate. Its better offroad than a CRV and the larger diesel engine is quicker in a straight line than a smaller engined Mazda 5. I think I’ve got it. Its no wonder its best in its class. It has one all to itself!

Great ingenuity. I’m not sure about all practicality though? Looks a bit loppy to me. I know it has the clever seats which can be extracted from the vehicle. Is it going to be a winner? I reckon it will do Skoda Taiwan some favour as it will no doubt draw attention to the brand if they import it due to its augmented looks. I’m sure it would do well in terms that it would fit those with a desire to drive in something different looking. I’m not convinced that its any good though. Taiwanese don’t need 4x4s. They have proved that with their huge demand for two wheel drive SUVs. Do they need cars that won’t fit into rotisserie car parks or the like? Obviously not. Do they need clever diesel engines which save fuel, but cost a fortune to purchase? I don’t think so.
I think that it will sell well to people who fancy turning up to the A.C. in something a wee bit odd looking. Almost nobody is going to buy it because it goes faster than a Mazda 5 though, or because it may travel over some small stones, or because it has removable rear seats. It will be interesting never the less to see if it makes market and then see how well it does.
More choice is always a good thing, so I sort of want it to do well. I seriously wanted the Luxgen to do well though, and it has done…and its pretty crap. It does sell though and this proves that people want a cheap, yet very frustrating, Taiwanese made six person carrier.
Skoda needs more than one selling point with this one, and I think its selling point to Taiwan is just its looks, which I know some will like, even though I find it a cross between the backside of a Land Rover and the Front side of a Subaru Forester with some extra spot lamps fitted.

Its an oddball. That’s for certain![/quote]

I think its selling point is its 1.2 engine for cheap tax and over 100bhp and 150ft-lb torque+ combined with a DSG box for about 800k.
Its european and it feels pretty well put together compared to the jap stuff around here.
I really cant see it failing, i mean come on people buy that horrid hyundai thing and that costs more!.

[quote=“smellybumlove”]
I think its selling point is its 1.2 engine for cheap tax and over 100bhp and 150ft-lb torque+ combined with a DSG box for about 800k.
Its european and it feels pretty well put together compared to the jap stuff around here.
I really cant see it failing, I mean come on people buy that horrid hyundai thing and that costs more!.[/quote]

I agree, it should muster interest. Where I’m not so sure however is that there are a lot of Euro cars out there for lower budgets. They are sold in extremely small numbers however as their residuals are low, their faults in abundance and their service backing is slim to non-existent. Skoda has to prove themselves with this one and a lot will depend on their marketability. There are plenty of Taiwanese with an itch for a Eurobox. To prove to themselves once and for all that they have “achieved” erm…something. I think everyone here knows what I’m talking about. The fact is though that BMW and Merc have lost out to recent Jap competition in the form of Lexus, simply because its more reliable. Mid class cars have always been completely dominated until recently by Jap motors. The recent interest in VW is a spark which the Euro manufacturer’s must kindle if they wish for a future. If only for the sake of their sales, I hope they muster the mustard before people get wise to the shortcomings of running a mid range, expensive Euro box, before their marketing steam runs out.
The majority of Taiwanese can’t afford European cars, whether they know it yet or not. They don’t yet have the skill, and the cars don’t yet have the lifespan of their strongest competitors.
What I believe is happening recently is there is a number of car buyers who are buying the cars of their “dreams” and are doing it because they have given up on the idea of ever owning a property. Or they have an extended mortgage. Or they have maxed out their cards and simply don’t care. Either way… I still don’t see Taiwanese car buyers at large as a group which believe in paying over the top for some rubberised dash plastic, a thick steering wheel and some smart body work. Taiwanese at heart are still very much Taiwanese. Its got to work forever, be convenient and cost less than everything else. If it ever goes wrong and causes inconvenience in the slightest way, then its bloody useless. If it ever depreciates faster than anticipated, then its utter rubbish and they’ll never recommend one to anyone.
In Taiwan money rules. More than money ruling though is the ability to save. In this short term I believe people are spending on luxury Euro cars as they don’t have any hope to save for anything worth while. I think that can and will change again in the near future.
As much as choice is nice, I still believe in the Taiwanese mentality in this case. I’d rather it work than it just look good. Skoda has a mountain to climb!

@sulavaca. Interesting post above.

I agree with that view as I often have conversations with Taiwanese people about Subaru cars. A model that we often discuss is the new Legacy GT. At 1.5mil, there aren’t any other choices out there in the performance estate market. Anything from European in that range starts at 2mil and price climbs quickly from there on. However, many would favor getting a low range eurobox than a Legacy GT. Probably for status reasons. The locals go about purchasing cars in weird ways that often defy logic and sense. In any case, it more often a case of the locals looking at what their friends drive and copying them regardless of how bogus that vehicle might be. Why buy a CRV when you can buy a Golf TDI?

Luckily. Subaru Legacy sales have been great and they are moving them quickly off the lots.

Mostly because the residuals and reliability are far higher. The CRV is perhaps the strongest vehicle on the road in terms of residuals. I’m not sure in terms of customer psychology however than these two are part of the same bracket. The CRV is a large somewhat now average status symbol, but it also comes with the bullet proof trust in the brand. The VW Golf TDI is not an economical choice, even though the diesel engine may make one think so. Its just got more low to mid range power which people like for the typical slow driving that they do. It isn’t the old and very crap 1.6 litre version that doesn’t pull the skin off a rice pudding, and it isn’t part of the very much more expensive petrol range. I see the TDI as the “its got a little bit of everything” combination, without being overly expensive. Even the 1.4 in the mind of a typical local is “too small an engine” to be getting in an expensive car. This was the same reasoning behind the flop in sales of the first Toyota hybrid to hit Taiwan in the form on the MKII Prius. I still see people pull faces when I tell them how much it cost at the time and then they practically start gurning when they learn that it has a 1.5 litre engine. They are so much more impressed with the newer one as it has a bigger engine, even if it only slightly improves performance to now compete with slow moving invertebrates. People here generally don’t understand anything about performance, total cost saving or technology when they make their purchases. Captain, you are right when you say much of it has to do with the crowd effect. If granddad reckons Toyotas are the way to go, then that’s what sonny buys. Granddad is an old fuddy duddy these days though, assuming he’s still alive. The younguns are experimenting with their new found low interest loans and are buying those flash badged motors, while at the same time trying to remain as frugal as they can. I’m not sure frugality is the best word to describe these choices in the longer term though.

[quote=“sulavaca”]
The CRV is a large somewhat now average status symbol, but it also comes with the bullet proof trust in the brand.[/quote]
That may change when more people figure out they are now made in China.

google.com/images?q=skoda+ye … CDQQsAQwBA

cute looking vehicle. If it works well and is priced right it could be a big winner for SKODA in TW.

Mostly because the residuals and reliability are far higher. The CRV is perhaps the strongest vehicle on the road in terms of residuals. I’m not sure in terms of customer psychology however than these two are part of the same bracket. The CRV is a large somewhat now average status symbol, but it also comes with the bullet proof trust in the brand. The VW Golf TDI is not an economical choice, even though the diesel engine may make one think so. Its just got more low to mid range power which people like for the typical slow driving that they do. It isn’t the old and very crap 1.6 litre version that doesn’t pull the skin off a rice pudding, and it isn’t part of the very much more expensive petrol range. I see the TDI as the “its got a little bit of everything” combination, without being overly expensive. Even the 1.4 in the mind of a typical local is “too small an engine” to be getting in an expensive car. This was the same reasoning behind the flop in sales of the first Toyota hybrid to hit Taiwan in the form on the MKII Prius. I still see people pull faces when I tell them how much it cost at the time and then they practically start gurning when they learn that it has a 1.5 litre engine. They are so much more impressed with the newer one as it has a bigger engine, even if it only slightly improves performance to now compete with slow moving invertebrates. People here generally don’t understand anything about performance, total cost saving or technology when they make their purchases. Captain, you are right when you say much of it has to do with the crowd effect. If granddad reckons Toyotas are the way to go, then that’s what sonny buys. Granddad is an old fuddy duddy these days though, assuming he’s still alive. The younguns are experimenting with their new found low interest loans and are buying those flash badged motors, while at the same time trying to remain as frugal as they can. I’m not sure frugality is the best word to describe these choices in the longer term though.[/quote]

Indeed, the comparo I was actually trying to make between the CRV and the Golf TDI was with regards to what the average driver in Taiwan actually needs in terms of vehicle…The CRV (and most SUVs) just don’t make sense in Taiwan. Especially that most are 2wd. Space/parking constraints and driving environment here highly favor small/mid sized hatchbacks. Yet, all the buyers who should really be in these cars usually end up in some form of SUV or another. That doesn’t happen much in Europe (or Japan for that matter). A 2wd SUV for city commuting and the occasional trip to a rice paddy somewhere is just nonsense. Just like all these 7-series BMWs and S Class Mercs you commnly see here. There’s way too many tall tales being passed down from the old folks as well as a severe lack of understanding with regards to what the driving environment suggests. When I look around, I don’t see a common thinking among the people with regards to what type of vehicle best suits Taiwan. All I see is blind, uneducated purchases of random types of vehicles from a handful of brands.

As far as residuals, I for one, don’t think this has much relevance since most owners take their cars to Ah-Huang the corner Jack-of-all-trades to fix their car once it’s out of warranty. And once this so-called ‘master’ has laid his greasy fingers on the car, it becomes next to worthless as far as i’m concerned. And i’m sure that ACT can back up this claim after inspecting countless botched up repaired vehicles?

[quote=“redwagon”][quote=“sulavaca”]
The CRV is a large somewhat now average status symbol, but it also comes with the bullet proof trust in the brand.[/quote]
That may change when more people figure out they are now made in China.[/quote]

Well, some components. Its quality is still extremely high, at least until until this time of writing.

[quote=“sulavaca”][quote=“redwagon”][quote=“sulavaca”]
That may change when more people figure out they are now made in China.[/quote]

Well, some components. Its quality is still extremely high, at least until until this time of writing.[/quote]
As I understand it the current model is assembled in Guangzhou. I don’t know where the parts come from, but I would like my Honda to be assembled in Japan or the USA.