Skype conversations

hi guys how safe is skype conversations? how easy/hard is it for someone to listen in? I think it’s easy to buy off the people in the ISP end in Taiwan and how easy would that be for them to listen in? do they log it and listen in later or they have to be there when you make the call? just wondering I always wondered about this.

[quote=“Some guy I found on Google”] Skype claims that it uses strong encryption to protect phone calls, IM messages, and file transfers:

"Skype uses AES (Advanced Encryption Standard), also known as Rijndael, which is used by U.S. Government organizations to protect sensitive, information. Skype uses 256-bit encryption, which has a total of 1.1 x 1077 possible keys, in order to actively encrypt the data in each Skype call or instant message. Skype uses 1024 bit RSA to negotiate symmetric AES keys. User public keys are certified by the Skype server at login using 1536 or 2048-bit RSA certificates."

Here’s the problem with that statement: since Skype is an insistently closed source program - and one that additionally uses a proprietary protocol, but I’ll get to that in a moment - we have no way of verifying Skype’s security. We simply have to take them at their word that their encryption works. For such an important program, that’s quite a problem. I’m just not sure how safe I feel when Skype says, “Trust me - everything’s going to be fine.” [/quote]