Skype for Android is here

blogs.skype.com/en/2010/10/andro … nouncement

A few issues worth noting, it doesn’t work on the Samsung Galaxy S and it only works on screens with 480x320 resolution or above which means plenty of the cheaper Android handsets doesn’t support it. Oh and you need Android 2.1 or later for it to work as well.

Good stuff!

Any reasons as to why it’s not 100% on the Galaxy S?

14mb with no move to SD ability? No thanks. :frowning:

It only takes up 8.7MB on my phone… dunno why it’d take up so much more on yours.
Still, if you don’t use Skype I guess it doesn’t matter all that much.

Works with the mobile data connection… except in the US. Bleh.

I read somewhere it was 14mb. Could be wrong.

Okay, I haven’t installed it yet, but does it work exactly the same as on a typical desktop for example? I’m wondering whether it must have to be on wifi to work properly or whether the 3G is enough. Would you happen to know TheLostSwede?

Is it just Verizon doing their thing again, or does it use data on a GSM or Sprint setup?

On Skype for Windows Mobile, 3G was enough (well, 3.5G / HSPA to be precise). Guess it should be ok on Android too.

It says 3G is fine. When I installed and logged in, my Skype contacts all showed up, however I haven’t tried to make a Skype call yet.

In the US, it is WiFi-only. In other parts of the world, it will work on both WiFi and cellular (3G, HSxPA, etc).

I have been trying it this morning and its pretty good for a first effort. It works perfectly on both wifi and 3.5G. One shitty issue it has is that it only rings in the east speaker when called, so the phone doesn’t ting and you don’t know someone is calling. That’s a big issue. Its also a 8.5 meg download and its a hog. My phone is a bit laggy at times with it running in the background.
Still for what it is paling, it more than makes up for in cost saving.

[quote=“sulavaca”]I have been trying it this morning and its pretty good for a first effort. It works perfectly on both wifi and 3.5G. One shitty issue it has is that it only rings in the east speaker when called, so the phone doesn’t ting and you don’t know someone is calling. That’s a big issue. Its also a 8.5 meg download and its a hog. My phone is a bit laggy at times with it running in the background.
Still for what it is paling, it more than makes up for in cost saving.[/quote]
Yeah they need to get the size down and reduce the system resource usage in background. But the important thing is that full end-to-end voip in a single package for Android is now a reality. No more fiddling around with sipdroid.

Sorry, I meant only rings in the [color=#FF4040]ear speaker[/color], which is rubbish. A typo in my last post.

In the US, it is WiFi-only. In other parts of the world, it will work on both WiFi and cellular (3G, HSxPA, etc).[/quote]
Sorry, should have made it clear I was replying to Suluvaca, who is in Taiwan and asked whether 3G was enough, presumably in terms of speed.

3G should be plenty.

Back in the day when Fring actually worked as a passthrough into Skype on Android, it was fine over 3G (ie: no H icon on status bar). So unless something is really amiss, it should also work on the real Skype. I also once did Skype video on a laptop via a WiFi tether to an EDGE-connected phone in the states with good enough quality on the audio side of it and jerky, but discernible video.

Only frustrating thing is that there’s no easy way to exit, you have to log out, you can’t just close it.
It’s only version 1.0 (point something) so hopefully they’ll iron out some of the problems over time and improve things in general. Do take note that on their developers blog they state that you need a 600MHz CPU or faster in addition to the other requirements.

Confirmed. 8mb download but 14mb of space used. Checked with Disk Usage app.
I’ve just 15mb internal memory left now. What’s up with the limited internal memory on the Desire? (Sorry, different thread’s question I guess.)

If you get the Android 2.2 update for the Desire, then you can move apps to the SD card

androidpolice.com/2010/11/09 … ancements/

New version out, tons of fixes, smaller file size and works on phones with lower screen resolution such as 320x240. It’s also meant to use less power in idle mode and the hardware back key is now supported as well as signing out exits Skype. Might be time to give it a second go?