Skype for Android is here

Skype works just fine with my Android-based smartphone. But, anyone knows here if there is a good alternative to Skype?

You can now install it to the SD card if you have Android 2.2 blogs.skype.com/en/2010/12/andro … axy_s.html
This should make a lot of Nexus One owners happy at least, but if you’re using it, it’s still eating a large chunk of the storage memory… poorly coded app it seems…

[quote=“TheLostSwede”]You can now install it to the SD card if you have Android 2.2 blogs.skype.com/en/2010/12/andro … axy_s.html
This should make a lot of Nexus One owners happy at least, but if you’re using it, it’s still eating a large chunk of the storage memory… poorly coded app it seems…[/quote]

The size of the app might not necessarily imply a poorly coded app. There may be a number of CODECs and other libraries they needed to include that are simply big.

I made it to the Beta. downloaded it. funny thing, it stopped working after the first day. meaning the keyboard and the swype line would activate, but no words would show up.

[quote=“mabagal”][quote=“TheLostSwede”]You can now install it to the SD card if you have Android 2.2 blogs.skype.com/en/2010/12/andro … axy_s.html
This should make a lot of Nexus One owners happy at least, but if you’re using it, it’s still eating a large chunk of the storage memory… poorly coded app it seems…[/quote]

The size of the app might not necessarily imply a poorly coded app. There may be a number of CODECs and other libraries they needed to include that are simply big.[/quote]

I think you mis-read, the app will reside on the memory card if you have Android 2.2+ BUT it will still make use of 15MB of the flash memory in the phone when in use, that’s to me is a poorly coded app.

Do you have the latests version installed?
They send out emails with links to the updated versions, or go to betainfo.swype.com/t/r/l/shtttk/hdhrluidk/y on your phone and you can download the latest installer (uninstall the old version of Swype and the installer first), enter your beta details and it’ll download the new version. From the latest version of the installer, you won’t have to re-install it all again which is a bonus.

Also, this is a Skype thread, not Swype :wink:

Do you have the latests version installed?
They send out emails with links to the updated versions, or go to betainfo.swype.com/t/r/l/shtttk/hdhrluidk/y on your phone and you can download the latest installer (uninstall the old version of Swype and the installer first), enter your beta details and it’ll download the new version. From the latest version of the installer, you won’t have to re-install it all again which is a bonus.

Also, this is a Skype thread, not Swype :wink:[/quote]

woops. it was late at nite. i plead sleepy brain. but yea, this is the first install for me, and it’s the new version afaik (install last week). worked all of 24 hours, so for time being, i have deactivated it.

Well, try re-installing it, something must’ve gone wrong, as it’s all good for me and have been the entire time I’ve been using it.