Skype +PC Home join forces in Taiwan & take a huge step backwards

[quote=“teosocrates”]Still a huge pain in the ass. Bought skype vouchers with paypal (since I can’t just use PayPal for a Taiwanese account), but the vouchers don’t work, I assume because Taiwan PayPal is a totally separate beast.

Incidentally, PayPal Taiwan is similar… looks the same but very difficult to use or make changes; you can only connect Taiwan PayPal with one bank in Taiwan (E.Sun) and they routinely freeze your accounts or block you from sending payments.[/quote]

They are the same Pay PAL. Just Taiwan has all sort of restrictions it did not used to be that way. I was sending money back and forth between my US and Taiwan accounts w/no problem. But now, you can’t send money to individuals on Taiwan accounts.

OK. I have my Taiwan PayPal attached to my Taiwan AMEX Card. You can’t do much with AMEX here accept use it online. . I have my US bank account attached to my US bank.

For the past few years, I have been able to access both US and Taiwan accounts just by adding using the proper login id. No proxy necessary. Thanks for the heads up, teosocrates. I was thinking of attaching a bank account to a Taiwan bank. I guess I won’t.

This SKYPE restriction has been going on for at least three + years. I was using it for quite a long time, both in the US and in Taiwan but then all of a sudden I could not buy credit or view my account. I complied with the information they requested and everything has been going well. Why not comply. They said that any telecommunications account must be approved.

Mine automatically tops up, $1000 NT at a time.

Mine is also recharged automatically, when it reaches a minimum. I use it a lot.

Bump.

So I’m trying to recharge Skype for the first time in, um, seven or eight years? Is there a way to do this without submitting paperwork?

I’m using a Mac computer, an iPad, and an iPhone. According to Skype support, on the iPad I’m supposed to be able to click “My Info” / “Skype Credit” to recharge, but nothing’s happening when I try to do that. On my computer I’m directed to PCHome and that nonsense. Am I missing easier options?

If you read what I’d written earlier you could see an answer. I still use a vpn to add credit. CC is from abroad.

Yeah, I did see that and thanks, but I was hoping that in the past few years easier options had appeared than setting up a VPN and also setting up a new Skype account.

Did you manage to sort it out?
I am moving off of Skype. I am looking at alternatives. Since Microsoft took over their updates have made it a frustrating experience.
I will probably try wechat.

No, I never bothered to sort it out. If I remember I’ll try to add a bit of money to my Skype account while I’m in Canada this summer. But my wife was the one who was used up the balance anyway, and if she wants to recharge it here in Taiwan, I’ll let her jump through the hoops for it. I haven’t needed any of Skype’s paid services in years (after all, I hadn’t added credit in six or seven years!) so figuring out how to add credit is a low priority for me.

Easiest way to get around this is get on a VPN then purchase Skype credit.

Auto recharge hack still works… No need to sign up to some 2 year vpn plan :slight_smile:

I had no trouble adding credit with a free vpn. I use SoftEther vpn. Set my location to the US.

I am still using Skype.
When my credit runs low, Skype takes the cash from my Paypal account (set up in home country around 20 years ago!!!).
I am never signed into a vpn. So, no idea what is happening there.
Perhaps they changed something for those of us that signed up ‘abroad’ (using a vpn).
But I never tried my old account which met with the issue I started this thread with.

Ew Skype. I just use a Voip service in australia, have an australian landline number and can put it on any device.

I started a thread about this so here’s my first post: but anyway, I’m surprised to see that this original thread is so old. I was able to buy Skype credit conveniently until just recently. Last time I made a purchase for credit was about 1 year ago. Recently I had to update my credit card info and now I can’t do it easily like I used to, have to go through PC Home.

Hi everyone, the last time I bought Skype credit was about a year ago, it was really simple, just did it directly through the Skype website and had all my credit card info on there. I just tried to buy some recently and the simple little “Add $5 credit” button does not work. I even went to the Skype website to make sure my credit card info was correct and up to date, no problems there, but I still can’t buy it.

There is a link and it brings me to PCHome Skype, I guess they now operate Skype within Taiwan? This wasn’t the case last year, anyone else noticed this change? Do you have to buy Skype credit through PCHome only here now? I had an American account, so I was always able to call 1-800 numbers free of charge any more? Those account for the vast majority of times I use Skype to call phone numbers back home and it would really suck if I had to start paying for those.

I tried getting through their customer service, got it is impossible! They are making it so damn hard just to buy something, wtf is this, Soviet Russia? I’m willing to pay money, just fucking take it for the sweet love of fuck!!!

Oh man, looking at the form they have on the PCHome website to buy credit… I have to give my fucking passport number, phone number??? FUCK THAT SHIT!

What do I do here now? Buy Skype credit with a VPN? Anyone have some other, better VOIP services they can recommend? Because if they’re doing all this shit, then fuck Skype, I’m done.

There’s a thread on it here somewhere, basically go onto Skype and set recurrent billing, it will then top up your account. You can immediately cancel recurrent billing if you like. This all assumes you have a working credit card.

1 Like

Further discussed in this thread:

guess I couldn’t find it since I searched for “PChome” not PC Home

Lol yeah pretty much my reaction too. They really created an authentic Taiwan user experience with that one. Thread linked by @lostinasia will get you sorted, you don’t need a VPN either so ignore that BS.

I tried to buy some coffee filters off PCHome a couple of weeks ago, problems with my phone number already being registered, fucking shit tiny little button to checkout that i could barely see, one thousand irrelevant things on the screen i don’t give a fuck about, gave up went on Amazon and got them in about 2 clicks, and they were shipped out of Japan anyway.

When the changes originally took place, I decided to go full analog and pay cash to top-up my Skype account using ibon whenever visiting a 7-11

Eh I am locked out now. I had my account set to automatically reload, tried to call my mom…Skype says there is not enough money, so I try to add more money, it still has my credit card info but says there is a problem …and sends me to PC Home/Skype page. Oh man!

Screenshot_20191004-214849

1 Like