Skype +PC Home join forces in Taiwan & take a huge step backwards

Maybe you can use a virtual debit card?

Guys it’s stuck. It needs verification, it needs to upload, it won’t.

I mean, I can’t even go buy credit at 711. I do have PayPal. But I can’t get to the paying step.

From @darth_guy

Last time I managed to avoid this new PChome shit and added credit using paypal: On the website, go to Billing & payments. There you enable auto-recharge. At pay with you specify your paypal (my paypal is still listed there). Once it’s paid you immediately disable the auto-recharge again (or leave it if you don’t mind). Of course the auto-recharge is done when your credit falls below a certain amount (2 euros in my case).

This I can verify is not more US-centric advice, worked for me.

It used to work for me…until last year. I also had it set in auto pay. Then out if the blue Skype is sending me messages that I have to register with Microsoft because Taiwan government bla bla.

You could try opening a new Skype account with a VPN showing you are in the US/UK. Is a phone number required now? Then try the paypal option to buy credit.
Is your paypal account based in Taiwan? That may be why it isn’t working anymore.
According to Skype, you can only pay with Union Pay or PChome???
https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA12323/how-can-i-pay-for-skype#t

Dang, they closed the loophole!

I wonder if using one of those free web proxies could work.

For the third time, you cannot pay until you verify your account. Sigh.

Plenty of ways to pay.

Yes, a phone number, two ID, etc is needed now.

Sigh.

I have Skype on my phone and laptop. Rarely used these days as we use LINE, but kept in case LINE doesnt work. I have no Credit, but just checked to see if I could add (using a Credit Card), it defaults to AUD for me as my Skype location shows Australia.

So maybe the Skype location is the key?

Careful too - Skype is owned by MS these days, but there are TWO versions, Desktop and Mobile. My test just now was done with the Desktop one which is from the Microsoft Store.

Well I got a new phone so I just use the Android version.

PC…mmm

I only use PC/Mac. Not online with phone.

I think I’m missing something.
Why bother using Skype when there are dozens of other applications that will do the same thing for free?

I use it to call land lines outside Taiwan.

1 Like

Like cake says. Not everyone has the ability or even the desire to use Internet based calling. So its a case of the actual phone part of a phone, or the fixed line, and some are on time based billing. So things like the paid side of Skype and others fills that gap. LINE has it too.

Because my headstrong father refuses to use any and all apps. Hence the need to contact him for Father’s Day using landline.

1 Like

Update

The Skype/Microsoft people were kind enough to reply to my inquiry email and gave me the option of attaching copies of my documents to their email. Let’s see how it goes.

3 Likes

Why these changes?
Are they trying to fight online scams or something?

PCHome has struck! I was getting away with the auto recharge hack until last week, the credit card I was using expired and now I just get redirected to PCHome’s BS. Tried Tunnel Bear to VPN to a European country, updated my address and region details etc., no dice just get redirected to PCHome and then dead links. No way I am uploading a copy of my ARC and NHI card to PCHome. Anyone get the auto-recharge or other hack working again recently?

1 Like

I use Surfshark to VPN to Canada for it.

2 Likes

@SuperS54 I just got home checked it out cause my CC also expired this month so it needs to be updated.

Surfshark works.

1 Like