Skype video chat

Has anybody tried this yet?

skype.com/products/skype/windows/

Are you on standard skype? I’ve not tried the video yet.

I have standard skype on, most of the time.

Okay, I’m typing ratlung and various other bodily organs in now to find you.

I’m ringing you, you bastard, pickup.

I guess I would actually have to turn on my sound.

They are all jumping on the bandwagon … sonyive.com/index.aspx

What’s the different between that and Festoon ? I’ve got Festoon… Still waiting for my Swede friend in California to pick up and try it with me :fume:

Difference is that skype had 3 million on line at once in June when Festoon was playing around at getting going. I’ve searched and found a lot of people I know with skype.

You might get the last laugh though if Skype goes to pay first. Ebay payed billions for it recently.

Festoon is an add-on for skype or Google talk … video plug-in so to speak

But now that Skype offers video, Festoon will have difficulties to get on …

Sony has it’s own IP phone software, video included.

I’ll try it when it gets out of Beta :slight_smile:.

Hopefully the Mac version will have this feature.

I am finding skype really refreshing after MSN.

The typing chat feature is really clean and while many people run into firewall issues with MSN, skype just seems to work.
Also, lately I have found MSN connectivity has been a little sketchy when using the web interface.
The p2p file sharing in skype is pretty fast. Actually at work I use it to move big files around and it is lightning fast.

…and thats not even the best feature, which is of course the clear VOIP.

I’d just like to see a webmail interface such as a Gmail notifier with hotlinks, and remote desktop sharing built in, then it would be a great all-in-one.

Between Google Earth, Picasa, iTunes and Skype(to name a few)…there is some great free software out there nowadays.

well well, I did a bit of poking around the skype site and it looks like there are plugins galore for all sorts of features…

share.skype.com/directory/

Festoon?

Truant

[quote]I’d just like to see a webmail interface such as a Gmail notifier with hotlinks, and remote desktop sharing built in, then it would be a great all-in-one.
[/quote]

Why? What difference does it make? Is it simply that in Beta some of the kinks still need to be worked out, so the picture or sound might not be so great or something like that? Why would that stop a techie like you from playing around with a new technology as it’s being developed? Seriously, isn’t that the kind of stuff techies thrive on – trying programs when they’re still in Beta?

Difference is that skype had 3 million on line at once in June when Festoon was playing around at getting going. I’ve searched and found a lot of people I know with skype.[/quote]

Does that mean you’ve used skype video? What did you think of it? How was it? As for lots of people being online, that’s totally irrelevant if you’re just planning to use if for one-on-one communications with one other person, right?

In another thread. . .

Do others agree that Y! is probably a better choice than skype video chat. Or are they apples and oranges (I know virtually nothing about this stuff)?

I have tried it with video only from one side (I don’t have a camera). It worked fine. I saw everything!

I speak a lot from Taiwan with my family using Skype for voice and MSN Messenger for video. It works fine apart from a few occasions every now and then.
First I installed the new Skype, they kept the old one, sound quality was very good. Then I asked them to install the new version - assuming that using the same software for audio and video can only help - but they had to re-install the old version immediately because the sound became incredibly bad. Video was so-so but definitely not as good as through MSN.
So, for the time being I’ll stick to MSN for video conversation and Skype for voice.

[quote=“rice_t”]I have tried it with video … It worked fine. I saw everything![/quote] :astonished:

[quote=“Balazs”]I speak a lot from Taiwan with my family using Skype for voice and MSN Messenger for video. It works fine apart from a few occasions every now and then.
First I installed the new Skype, they kept the old one, sound quality was very good. Then I asked them to install the new version - assuming that using the same software for audio and video can only help - but they had to re-install the old version immediately because the sound became incredibly bad. Video was so-so but definitely not as good as through MSN.
So, for the time being I’ll stick to MSN for video conversation and Skype for voice.[/quote]

This will do the trick too … old skype for voice, Y! for video … that’s how I worked with my family … yahoo sucks on voice … new skype sucks on both now … so, old skype in combination with Y!