Skype video chat

Ok, I finally decided to overcome my tech phobia, downloaded the Skype video program, hooked up my webcam, put on my headset and decided to give it a try.

Used the “Search for Skype users” function and looked for someone in Taiwan in the “Skype Me” mode, hoping to randomly find someone to chat with and test the video. Only a couple of people listed in Taiwan, neither available. Tried HK and called someone name Tommy. Tommy answers, “hi” and I was off on the first chatroom discussion of my life. The chatroom was simple, but I was hoping for audio or video. Tommy was also very slow answering in the chatroom. I figured Tommy was a girl – sultry, sexy but a little slow. Then I checked Tommy’s profile: he’s an 8 yr old boy. Anyway, we never did more than chatroom so I said so long.

Then searched other locations where people might be awake, trying to find someone with whom to have audio/video chat. Tried search United States. Surprising how few response came up – maybe just 8 or 9 people. Dialed a few. Finally got some guy in Memphis and had my first Skype audio discussion. That was really cool! Free audio discussion to the other side of the world and the sound was pretty good. But still no video. In fact the guy I was talking with didn’t know Skype has video.

So, I guess I need to prearrange with someone for a video chat. Anyone on forumosa interested? Perhaps Sunday afternoon or evening?

You should try it now miltown. You too, ratlung. I searched and found both of you on skype but you were both offline.

But I did have a good skype video chat with jlick just now and it worked pretty well. True, the video was a little slow and jerky, but really not too bad considering it’s free. When I visit my parents over CNY, I’ll give them a webcam and download the program for them so they can have free video conferences with their granddaughter. Couldn’t give them a better present. :slight_smile: