Skype vs Google Voice vs?

Is there an alternative from Taiwan? Skype is a nightmare to setup and add credit (in Taiwan) since it’s merger/management with PC Home. And Google Voice directs you to go to Google Hangouts for everyone outside the US - But Google Hangouts is about to be killed off in the coming months.
Any other options anyone knows about?
And I’ve gone through previous posts re: Skype, etc, but they’re now a few years old.

Microsoft Teams.

Thanks Gain. Can I make calls to overseas telephone numbers with Microsoft Teams?

Teams is basically Skype but less shitty?

It’s a lot like Skype. You need an account and everything.

Just looked up their website

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/microsoft-teams/audio-conferencing

When clicking on the rates … the filename is SkypeRates

:rofl:

I use teams a lot but never to a phone number . Interested to learn more.

1 Like

voip.ms

I will keep promoting them because they’re nice. When I asked about why my number costs more per month than registering new a number:

The new rates are lower since we receive lower rates for new numbers only. Old numbers still have the old rate with our providers, however we have decreased the rates for your number to match new number’s rate, as a courtesy.

Then you can use it with any SIP app, I guess most android dialers support it. For desktop there’s linphone.

1 Like

TextNow for free calling to Canada and the USA
Fongo for free calling to Canada only

It’s an app you download. You get a free phone number that’s yours to give out and if anyone calls you on it , your phone will ring in Taiwan.

4 Likes

While that looks like a nice thing to do, as someone who worked for an ISP, I can say it’s actually a “shit we got caught” moment

Yes, but in spite of the Team rates contained in a file called skype…, they are higher than those of Skype, at least for some countries

Why not just use Line, Facebook Messenger or Facebook Workplace?

1 Like

It went from 1$/mo to 70c/mo so not like they were ripping me off.

1 Like

Viber?

I need to call phone numbers overseas

:thinking:

Use a free VPN like windscribe. Then you make an American Google voice account. Now you can call American numbers from Google voice (even if you disconnect the VPN)

1 Like

Windows Live Messenger was peak, especially when you could add people from Yahoo and AOL Messenger, then Skype was just dull and wank, Facebook Chat sniped that off, now we are left with Teams which is less stable and far more shit than Windows Live ever was.

There’s also Discord, but you have to be a sexual deviant on that particular service.

I was going to suggest something similar; ironically I do have a Windscribe subscription. Anyway, since I used it as a business line during my IT consulting days, I still have a Google Voice line. However, if I’m not mistaken, it has to be linked to a US phone number at first, but if you register the phone as a work number, you can remove the link to it after and it’ll become a purely VoIP number.

Also, the good news is that you’ll only need the VPN for the registration process; you can make calls/texts via GV without needing it after you get the account established.